Parent visa

Is there anyone who has gone through the parent visa application. My daughter and son in law are moving to Melbourne area early 2017. We have said we will go with them and the migration agent has told us we need $1 million plus to do so. We have also been told, and this is the bit Im not sure of, that we need a $50,000 per annum pension. This is all fine but is this a 'pension' as in a pension fund or can a rental income from the UK suffice. Nobody seems to be able to answer this, not even our agent??

You might not be able to go with them but once they are settled they can sponsor you for a Contributory Parent Visa which is currently around $50k per person. You're looking about 4 years down the track though - 2 years for them to be settled and 2 years for the visa application.

You might not be able to go with them but once they are settled they can sponsor you for a Contributory Parent Visa which is currently around $50k per person. You're looking about 4 years down the track though - 2 years for them to be settled and 2 years for the visa application.

We we have been told that we can go with them and apply for citizenship once were there. Your right about the cost though it is costing us around that figure. We also have to lodge a $500k bond, which we will be realeased back to us once we are citizens and $500k in funds and this 'pension' of $50 - 65,000 per annum. This is the query whether or not this is an income or a sort of SIPS pension? All big money so hope it's worth it

We we have been told that we can go with them and apply for citizenship once were there. Your right about the cost though it is costing us around that figure. We also have to lodge a $500k bond, which we will be realeased back to us once we are citizens and $500k in funds and this 'pension' of $50 - 65,000 per annum. This is the query whether or not this is an income or a sort of SIPS pension? All big money so hope it's worth it

Which actual visa is the agent recommending here not the contributory parent visa obviously given those numbers ? The retirement visa ?

Think you might have been sold a pup there https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/405- and http://www.visabureau.com/australia/investor-retirement-visa.aspx

It's a temporary visa that doesn't lead to citizenship. And will cost you an investment of $750k if you intend to live in a metropolitan area. The visa had to be renewed every 4 years and the assets need to be verified again at that time. Waiting would definitely be a cheaper option and meanwhile you could take long holidays there.

Citizenship can only be applied for and granted after four years living in the country. At least one of those years must have been as a permanent resident. No visa comes with an automatic pathway to citizenship. I would be looking to get a second opinion on your situation from another agent who is definitely MARA registered...

I'd talk to another agent and get a second opinion. Make sure they are reputable, check feedback on them and that they are MARA registered.

Definately some muddling of visas here. Find out the number of the visa they are referring to to start with and check it all out on the DIBP website for yourself. The link was provided by Quoll above and will also link to other visa info.

For a parent visa you must meet the balance of family test. So how many children and step children do you have between you and which country do they live in? Also your sponsor, that is your son/ daughter must be settled in Australia and PR before you apply. This normally means having been here for at least two years.

It would be worth waiting anyway as a surprising amount of people do not settle and return to their home country, silly to waste a lot of money to join them if they decide not to stay.

The visa referred to sounds like an investment retirement visa not a Parent visa.

Guest The Pom Queen

If your son and daughter aren't citizens yet then your agent is probably right about the money and will be looking at the SIV http://www.austrade.gov.au/international/invest/guide-to-investing/coming-to-australia/significant-and-premium-investor-programmes/austrades-role

To gain a parent visa you have a number of hurdles to jump. The main one is that your daughter needs to have lived here 2 years and be a citizen or on a PR Visa then you have the balance of family test etc. https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Brin/Pare

So yes, it may be that your agent is correct on this.

Would be useful here if the OP asks current agent for the visa number they are proposing. As other posters have said sounds like a 405 given the high bond number and income requirements being quoted, a temporary visa valid 4 years which can be renewed but does not lead to citizenship. https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/405- Without that info we are all speculating.

Do you have other children? And if so, where do they live? To apply for a parent visa, you need to pass the Balance of Family test (generally, more of your children live in Australia as PR or citizen than live anywhere else)- perhaps you can't and this is why the migration agent is suggesting other visa options for you.

Is there anyone who has gone through the parent visa application. My daughter and son in law are moving to Melbourne area early 2017. We have said we will go with them and the migration agent has told us we need $1 million plus to do so. We have also been told, and this is the bit Im not sure of, that we need a $50,000 per annum pension. This is all fine but is this a 'pension' as in a pension fund or can a rental income from the UK suffice. Nobody seems to be able to answer this, not even our agent??

I don't know anything about Visas as we emigrated years ago when things were totally different but looking at some of the answers on this thread I think letting your daughter and son in law settle and have extended holidays yourself for a few years seems the way to go

We had friends whose parents came out to live near their son , a year later the son went back to the UK leaving the parents who felt they were too old too uproot and start again Caused a lot of heartache

Do you have other children? And if so, where do they live? To apply for a parent visa, you need to pass the Balance of Family test (generally, more of your children live in Australia as PR or citizen than live anywhere else)- perhaps you can't and this is why the migration agent is suggesting other visa options for you.

no only one child. I really wanted to move out with her!!

Can always go out on a 1-year visit visa to begin with. Be careful of investor visas lots of gotchas.

And a lot of cash to tie up when a investor visa is a temporary visa (405) and no real route to perm residence

My daughter is only moving out in Feb 2017, we have only just started this process. Learning a lot from these comments. I want to move with them, but it doesn't seem as straight forward as I thought or was explained to me!!

I fear that is the case, it is very far from straightforward!

You could do the 6 months here 6 months there routine - my parents did that for 15 years and it worked really well for them.

Sadly just because you may want to do something doesn't necessarily make it possible in the time frame you had expected!

The cynic in me wonders if your s-i-l is an Australian who wants to return and has promised your daughter that of course get parents can go too if she will agree to go with him because that's the only way she will agree to go! (Hope that's not the case!)

My opinion on the 405 visa is that it is unaffordable long term, and the truth is that unless the rules change you can never apply for PR or citizenship from this visa.

I know quite a few couples on this visa, and most are giving up.

The basics of the 404 visa depend on wether moving to a regional or non regional area, you initially invest either $500.000 or $750.000 with the state government, $250.000 refundable after 4 years, and you get interest. You have to prove you have held the money for 2 years previous to applying. You then have to have an equal amount to that invested, and prove you have extra annual income, sorry not sure but at least $50.000?

you are basically tying up either the $250.000 or $500.000 until you leave Australia or die.

You have to reapply every 4 years, prove again all the above, cost at present I think is at least $11.000 each, plus medical plus police checks. At present people are needing to reapply 9 months before the end of the 4 year period, as it is taking so long to process, and they can't risk being here without their visa.

I would be concerned that your agent only suggested the 405 visa, let alone the other rubbish he/she told you that you could apply for citizenship, sadly that's rubbish.

With only 1 child surely the contributary parent visa would make far more sense when you are eligible for it.

I'm up to speed with all this because we have recently had a meeting between our visa group and 405 visa holders.

Hope this helps.

My opinion on the 405 visa is that it is unaffordable long term, and the truth is that unless the rules change you can never apply for PR or citizenship from this visa.

I know quite a few couples on this visa, and most are giving up.

The basics of the 404 visa depend on wether moving to a regional or non regional area, you initially invest either $500.000 or $750.000 with the state government, $250.000 refundable after 4 years, and you get interest. You have to prove you have held the money for 2 years previous to applying. You then have to have an equal amount to that invested, and prove you have extra annual income, sorry not sure but at least $50.000?

you are basically tying up either the $250.000 or $500.000 until you leave Australia or die.

You have to reapply every 4 years, prove again all the above, cost at present I think is at least $11.000 each, plus medical plus police checks. At present people are needing to reapply 9 months before the end of the 4 year period, as it is taking so long to process, and they can't risk being here without their visa.

I would be concerned that your agent only suggested the 405 visa, let alone the other rubbish he/she told you that you could apply for citizenship, sadly that's rubbish.

With only 1 child surely the contributary parent visa would make far more sense when you are eligible for it.

I'm up to speed with all this because we have recently had a meeting between our visa group and 405 visa holders.

Hope this helps.

404 written in error meant 405 visa

I fear that is the case, it is very far from straightforward!

You could do the 6 months here 6 months there routine - my parents did that for 15 years and it worked really well for them.

Sadly just because you may want to do something doesn't necessarily make it possible in the time frame you had expected!

The cynic in me wonders if your s-i-l is an Australian who wants to return and has promised your daughter that of course get parents can go too if she will agree to go with him because that's the only way she will agree to go! (Hope that's not the case!)

Quoll can I ask what is the longest anyone can stay on a visa in this situation

My friend has a son who was born in the Uk Oz but the balance of her children are in the Uk then one in Canada Son is a permanent resident but not a citizen yet

She also has four half brothers who are Australian

My friend want to go out for 12 month with a view to living there - is there a visa that would allow that ?

Or could she as you say your parent did just go to Oz every year for say 9 months at a time - she could rent her house in the Uk and if she was back for about 3 months stay with her family

I am so pleased we emigrated in 1982 when life was simple as from the sound of it the visa system now is a minefield

This appears to be a subclass 405 Investor Retirement visa to get you to Australia, followed by an application under one of the parent visa subclasses once the daughter is "settled" in Australia - assuming the balance of family test is satisfied.

The 405 visa is the one that requires the sums of capital and income that the OP is describing, and is a long term temporary residency visa.

To the OP: I'm happy to also discuss your visa strategy with you (am in the UK presently). If you're interested feel able to send a PM or (preferably) an email to me (click on my name to the left of this post) with your contact details.

Best regards.

Definately some muddling of visas here. Find out the number of the visa they are referring to to start with and check it all out on the DIBP website for yourself. The link was provided by Quoll above and will also link to other visa info.

For a parent visa you must meet the balance of family test. So how many children and step children do you have between you and which country do they live in? Also your sponsor, that is your son/ daughter must be settled in Australia and PR before you apply. This normally means having been here for at least two years.

It would be worth waiting anyway as a surprising amount of people do not settle and return to their home country, silly to waste a lot of money to join them if they decide not to stay.

The visa referred to sounds like an investment retirement visa not a Parent visa.

Many thanks for all the replies I have read up from a lot of your links and it seems that those figures are for an investment visa not a parent one. So wires have obviously been crossed. We have arranged a meeting with the migration agent now as we were only going on what my son in law told us. He is applying for his visa and so not paying a whole lot of attention to ours. It looks like we could still go out with them and stay for long periods until they have been there for a few years then apply to stay. Can you buy a house out there even if your not a resident??

Many thanks for all the replies I have read up from a lot of your links and it seems that those figures are for an investment visa not a parent one. So wires have obviously been crossed. We have arranged a meeting with the migration agent now as we were only going on what my son in law told us. He is applying for his visa and so not paying a whole lot of attention to ours. It looks like we could still go out with them and stay for long periods until they have been there for a few years then apply to stay. Can you buy a house out there even if your not a resident??

You won't be able to apply for a permanent parent visa until your daughter is "settled" in Australia.

"Settled" is taken by policy to mean that she has been in Australia for at least 2 years, and is a permanent visaholder.

If she hasn't yet moved to Australia the 2 year clock hasn't yet started - so a subclass 405 visa (which doesn't require any relationship with a person in Australia) is an option to enable you to move to Australia for an extended period while you are waiting to be in a position to lodge a parent visa application with a settled sponsor - and while that parent application is being processed to a decision.

Remember that parent visa applications under subclass 143 - this is the usual strategy - take some 22 to 24 months to process to a decision at the moment: applications lodged in early April 2014 are presently being assessed with a view to visa grant.

An alternative - if one of you is "aged" (as defined) - might be a subclass 864 Contributory Aged Parent visa application. Again, this requires a settled sponsor, but processing times tend to be quicker than a 143; we see 864s to a decision in some 6 to 8 months.

You also have to be onshore (ie in Australia) to apply for an 864, but this wouldn't be a problem if you were already in Australia holding 405 visas.

Hope this is helping ...

Best regards.

Archived