Moving for a better life style

tea4too

I don't know about it having one of the best climates in the UK but it can have glorious summers. The west coast of Scotland is FAR milder than the east coast but does receive a lot of rain.

That part of Scotland would be my favourite place in the UK - not just for sentimental reasons but it is very picturesque. Beautiful countryside, forests, lakes and the sea.

So I believe. A bit of a fluke of nature. The author certainly found the climate appealing hence the move from England.

with the added bonus of not being chomped by a shark or a croc, or stung to death by an octopus.

The big downside was the tide. It disappeared as far as the horizon. It was great when it was high tide at the right time of day. When I first came to Australia, I remember standing on Manly Beach and asking "when does the tide go out?" :embarrassed:

I miss the beaches of south Devon and Cornwall. The sea is freezing but waters were generally calm and you are not burning to a crisp and no sharks, bluebottles or box jellyfish to worry about. I've lost count of the number of times we've gone to a beautiful sunny coast beach only to stay half an hour and escape to the surf club for lunch as its too hot and the sea is too rough to swim in.

I miss the beaches of south Devon and Cornwall. The sea is freezing but waters were generally calm and you are not burning to a crisp and no sharks, bluebottles or box jellyfish to worry about. I've lost count of the number of times we've gone to a beautiful sunny coast beach only to stay half an hour and escape to the surf club for lunch as its too hot and the sea is too rough to swim in.

I've been swimming in the sea a lot this summer. The water is a lot colder here but for a couple of weeks it was really lovely and warmish. The only creature I've shared the sea with has been a seal.

I've been swimming in the sea a lot this summer. The water is a lot colder here but for a couple of weeks it was really lovely and warmish. The only creature I've shared the sea with has been a seal.

N

That you know about! :laugh:

That's the biggest reason I don't go in the ocean anywhere (well, I did in the Maldives, but you can see everything in that water) - you're never sure what's swimming with you :unsure:

Give me a nice, clear swimming pool with a good filter to get rid of the spiders and a 35+ degree day and I'll be tempted. Maybe..

N

That you know about! :laugh:

That's the biggest reason I don't go in the ocean anywhere (well, I did in the Maldives, but you can see everything in that water) - you're never sure what's swimming with you :unsure:

Give me a nice, clear swimming pool with a good filter to get rid of the spiders and a 35+ degree day and I'll be tempted. Maybe..

Naa you're alright in Tassie, the further south you go in Australia the less the local flora and fauna tries to kill you :laugh:

Naa you're alright in Tassie, the further south you go in Australia the less the local flora and fauna tries to kill you :laugh:

It's not not the killing me that worries me (well, it does, but it's not my main concern), it's the fact that it's there and I can't see it!

Even as a child, in North Wales I'd hop around from foot to foot thinking every stone was a crab having a nibble or every bit of seaweed was some giant eel wrapping itself around my legs.I don't even go in the med unless the weather's really hot!

The only places I've been really comfortable in the water, because it's clear and calm, are the Maldives, Croatia and Broome. Years ago we camped on the beach near Ningaloo with some friends and I didn't mind sharing with the dolphins and dugongs, but the jellyfish were horrible.

I'm a wuss and I'm sure I miss out, but I'm happier in a pool where I can see the bottom and the worst fear is an aquatic spider :cute:

I will give Tassie a go next time we're in Aus though - it might be my perfect place.

It's not not the killing me that worries me (well, it does, but it's not my main concern), it's the fact that it's there and I can't see it!

Even as a child, in North Wales I'd hop around from foot to foot thinking every stone was a crab having a nibble or every bit of seaweed was some giant eel wrapping itself around my legs.I don't even go in the med unless the weather's really hot!

The only places I've been really comfortable in the water, because it's clear and calm, are the Maldives, Croatia and Broome. Years ago we camped on the beach near Ningaloo with some friends and I didn't mind sharing with the dolphins and dugongs, but the jellyfish were horrible.

I'm a wuss and I'm sure I miss out, but I'm happier in a pool where I can see the bottom and the worst fear is an aquatic spider :cute:

I will give Tassie a go next time we're in Aus though - it might be my perfect place.

I'm with you, keep out of the sea, and if I had a pool I'd fill it in :arghh:

yes you should visit Tassie, best part of Australia for me.

I'm with you, keep out of the sea, and if I had a pool I'd fill it in :arghh:

yes you should visit Tassie, best part of Australia for me.

My husband's quite keen on living there this time. I'm not so sure, but willing to have a look before I dismiss it..

Seems odd Diane but the one and only time I've ever burnt in the sun (nose and shoulders) was in Scotland. South west Scotland (Dumfries and Galloway) where I was brought up has a mild climate. Here are pics of palm trees in a nearby botanic garden.

Logan Botanic Garden is a botanical garden located near Port Logan on the Rhins of Galloway, at the south-western tip of Scotland.

The area has a mild climate, due to the influence of the North Atlantic drift. The combination of the climate and the sheltered aspect of the gardens enables plants to be cultivated which would not normally survive outdoors in Scotland.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33058[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33059[/ATTACH]

One of my favourite places in the world. We spent a week in Port Logan back in July 2010, we didn't know about this place as we would have visited. We rented an old converted byre overlooking Port Logan Bay. Weather was pants the whole week but we didn't care. It's a quiet, magical little hidden gem of a place.

It's one of the places which does have one which would suit him, strangely. It was the same coming back here - usually difficult to find jobs in the NE, but the only place outside London where there was one to suit him! Bizarre.

We've not made any concrete plans yet, just looking at options, so things may change, but we'll definitely visit to have a look.

• 4 weeks later...
That's what we were saying about Cowaramup Bay in the South West of WA last week! Warm day, cold water! Lovely though once swimming.

Cowaramup would still be about 10 degrees warmer than Scotland. I love swimming and when we used to go to the "seaside" when we were kids, usually Skegness or Rhyll miners camps, I used to go in the sea a lot. My mates thought I was nuts. It was cold allright I've often said with chattering teeth it's fine once you're in.

I learned to surf in Scotland and yes a wet suit was needed, but incredible place and wonderful beaches.

Generally, you don't come to or live in the UK though for the water / ocean. But for the rest. If though I want that, I can get a week in spain for peanuts. But, after living next to the beach in WA for so many years and maybe going in the water once or twice a year, the fact the water is not as warm here, makes zero difference. Instead of the beach, I was able to spend the weekend tramping around here http://www.windsorgreatpark.co.uk/en/experiences/virginia-water

I learned to surf in Scotland and yes a wet suit was needed, but incredible place and wonderful beaches.

Generally, you don't come to or live in the UK though for the water / ocean. But for the rest. If though I want that, I can get a week in spain for peanuts. But, after living next to the beach in WA for so many years and maybe going in the water once or twice a year, the fact the water is not as warm here, makes zero difference. Instead of the beach, I was able to spend the weekend tramping around here http://www.windsorgreatpark.co.uk/en/experiences/virginia-water

I learned to swim in the Scottish sea - lived close to the beach. The cold never seemed to bother any of us on sunny summer days.

I can't open the link you put up. :sad:

*edit* Managed to open link. What a beautiful place and you are lucky to have it on your doorstep.

Archived