So My Cherry Got Popped Today

Huntersmummy

G'Day My British/Aussie Sweet Treats!

More of a question today instead of my usual "I wanna go homeeeeeeeee, whinge whinge whinge moan moan moan" Thread...

So the idea with the cherry being popped is not a sexual one I'm afraid. My cherry is well and truly decomposed on my first loves dusty shelf!

The cherry in question is we got our 1st electric bill through. We paid the initial instalment fee of $111 something something 2 weeks after moving in. We moved in ......12th? November and we got our bill today so *counts* 4 months....

$565

Now not having a electric bill yet, it said we're below the average Darwin resident in consumption which is good but if we're below average, does that mean there are higher bills out there!!!??? Being paid by some other poor bugger???!!! :o

I'm dreading the water bill in that case. Sweating more = more showers.

Does anyone want to help a frighten old fart out by disclosing bill amounts out???

<3 <3

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My electricity bills haven't been too bad - the most I paid while renting was about $750 one quarter. We put the air conditioning on much less after that bill. Generally in the rental winter and summer were about $700 and spring and autumn about $450. I have however known people on the Poms in Adelaide forum complain of quarterly bills of over $1000.

Now we are in our own house our bills tend to be our $450 a quarter. We don't have a summer or winter bill as the readings are taken half way through each.

Edited by NicF

Up until a few years ago my electric bill (family of 4 with a pool) were always around $450, since the price raises they are now between $600 and $700.. We have no gas or water bills though, so our next biggest bill is rates which comes in at around $450.

Cal x

Would you mind me asking how you don't have a water bill to pay????

I kinda get here certain bills to what we're used to in the UK don't exist here (TV license, council tax etc)

Don't things work out different to a rented and bought property???

Thanks for the replies thou! :D

Up until a few years ago my electric bill (family of 4 with a pool) were always around $450, since the price raises they are now between $600 and $700.. We have no gas or water bills though, so our next biggest bill is rates which comes in at around $450.

Cal x

Guest The Pom Queen

I'm so jealous of all of you, up in FNQ we are stuck with Ergon who charge us what they want. In Cairns we had a 5 bed house and pool and it was $1200 a quarter with solar. Here in Townsville we pay $950 quarter and that's a tiny one storey 3 bed house without a pool, although with all the rain at the moment it feels like we have a pool

Guest The Pom Queen

I kinda get here certain bills to what we're used to in the UK don't exist here (TV license, council tax etc)

we don't have gas mains in FNQ in Cairns we had bottles and that was $180 a quarter.

We have Tank water and trickle feed town water so no water bills. The waste is on a septic tank so no council charges for any of it. The only cost is a $200 fee payable to the tank people who come out every 2 months to check the waste tank is operating and sprinkling correctly.

ETA, If your in a rental you don't pay rates, this is paid by the owner.

Cal x

Guest The Pom Queen

Cal x

Cal your rates is that a quarter? We pay around $1600 per 6 months up here.

Yes , its $455 but reduces to $437.22 if paid on time. My friend on the other side of the estate in a newer bigger house but on a smaller plot (less than half the land size of ours) pays more too, i think its because she has town water and drainage .

Cal x

I think we just had the biggest electricity bill we've ever had about $450. I was on holiday for a month over Christmas though and then my wife's Sister came to stay for a month so she had time off then. The aircon was on a lot more than usual as we are both usually out at work during the day. It's cooled down a lot now so probably won't be used till next summer.

See upon reading the Power & Water website, can't understand much of the electric side of it but with the water bill zooming its way to us, we on our housing contract get 125,000KL of water before we have to pay (Ive never heard of that before, pity it wasn't "Free beer"!!)

So calculating, you should pay roughly $2 per 1000 litre of water. In the NT anyways.

So ours should be if we used all of it and more, is $250....My maths wasn't brilliant but somewhere around that amount.

I did phone the water company and they said to take readings down after every bill to make sure your not getting ripped off.

(We've had a leak on our outside tap since we moved in thats just been fixed a week ago and that was filling up an 8 litre tub PER DAY) Adds up!

Give me a tent in someones garden with a topless bloke holding a leaf fan and a hole in the ground for "daily deposits" anyday :D

Makes me Appreciate Brisbane City Council. Less than $300 a quarter for me

I just paid our leccy bill the other day. $296 which is average for our summer bill. No air-con, don't need it here and out and about nearly every day so not running many electrical items. Always dearer in winter though.

I'd say yours is about average Huntersmum.

Guest The Pom Queen
I think whatever State you are in, Electricity is by far the dearest bill.

Ours is house insurance, some want $10,000 - $15,000 a year. To get ours down we have to have a $5,000 excess and even then we still pay a few thousand

Can't remember what our most recent gas and electric bills were... a couple of hundred each perhaps; certainly nothing that made me fall off my chair! (Not like in the UK when I had those damned storage heaters that were supposed to be 'efficient'!).

We live in a two-bed unit, so only the air-con to gobble things up really and we try not to go overboard with that (although some days I crack it up to max. for 5-10 mins before the OH gets in...).

Edited by vickyplum

Guest Guest226914

Some of these figures are crazy. My electricity is about $280, water $250 and gas $200 per quarter. For a 4 bedroom house in sydney