Interesting chat yesterday

VERYSTORMY

Yesterday we took our belongings to the move cube depot as they don't bring cubes as far south as us and we had to take it to them.

I chatted to the chap running the depot and he said they are run off their feet with poms returning to the UK and he couldn't believe how busy they are as this is normally their quiet time. Apparently normaly at this time they would fill one container a month. But, they are filling several a week.

I also called a second hand store to see if they wanted our last bits and pieces. They said they have emptied 15 houses of poms leaving the country in the last few days and have no room for anything.

surprised that this isn't a busy time for them? eastern suburbs of Sydney starts getting bearable from now as people move on chasing the sun up the coast or pack up their stuff and leave to start afresh in spring in the UK. If I had my citizenship now I'd be planning my getaway now.

I chatted to the chap running the depot and he said they are run off their feet with poms returning to the UK and he couldn't believe how busy they are

I also called a second hand store to see if they wanted our last bits and pieces. They said they have emptied 15 houses of poms leaving the country in the last few days and have no room for anything.

I don't blame them. The writings on the wall.

Get out while you can.

UK has its own set of problems, but on the whole its not doing too bad.

On the plus side with the Dollar strengthening up against the Pound (obviously the markets have missed the doom and gloom) plenty more money on their return for those leaving now.

I don't think so Jock.

I have come across a number and we also have a number of members of the Perth forum returning. Pretty much all is lack of work / can't find a job.

Well then I don't blame them for returning. The stress and worry when out of work must be crippling. How times have changed. For us old timers who migrated decades ago there was so much work and relatively cheap housing.

Guest Dave53

Let's not forget that there are now more NZ'ers moving back to NZ than incomers from there .. I've had two friend move back to the UK recently , one a resident and citizen of Australia for 22 yrs the other of 15yrs . Both lost work here and being in their 50's had no chance of finding another job , both are working now again in the UK ..... I've been here 28 yrs , it's harder to survive now than it's ever been for me ..

I will be booking a movecube in the next few months! Hopefully they drop off at central coast,we will also have stuff to leave behind ? Garage sale or second hand store.Looks like the Aussie bubble has deflated for many poms!

We did ours by garage sale.

The aussies were all over it like flies, and stripped the whole place bare within a few days.

I wonder how many of those returning will move back if the good times return?

Very few people would prefer living on Centrelink in Australia if they can get work in the UK but probably most of those returning wouldn't have otherwise, even VS had come like Australia in the end!

One of the reasons we got citizenship was to keep the door open should we end up in a hole in the UK we had the option or maybe more likely our son did.

Some of these people will be lost to Australia for good though and it will be those most valuable to them -

all those with get up and go will have got up and gone.

I wonder how many of those returning will move back if the good times return?

Very few people would prefer living on Centrelink in Australia if they can get work in the UK but probably most of those returning wouldn't have otherwise, even VS had come like Australia in the end!

One of the reasons we got citizenship was to keep the door open should we end up in a hole in the UK we had the option or maybe more likely our son did.

Some of these people will be lost to Australia for good though and it will be those most valuable to them -

all those with get up and go will have got up and gone.

Whilst you can't live on fresh air, a lot forget that not everybody comes here for more money, many haven't got better paying jobs than they had in the UK. Australia has lots going for it and many of us wouldn't leave just for a job offer.

Whilst you can't live on fresh air, a lot forget that not everybody comes here for more money, many haven't got better paying jobs than they had in the UK. Australia has lots going for it and many of us wouldn't leave just for a job offer.

.................... yes but a fair few of the folk returning are doing so because they have been out of work for a while and future prospects aren't looking too good for them here. Take Endless Winter for example, he's had no luck on the job front here but has secured a job in the UK. My OH was just saying he's glad he's retired now.

.................... yes but a fair few of the folk returning are doing so because they have been out of work for a while and future prospects aren't looking too good for them here. Take Endless Winter for example, he's had no luck on the job front here but has secured a job in the UK. My OH was just saying he's glad he's retired now.

That's a fair point, if you can't get a job no matter what for love nor money then you may feel you have no choice but many who say they have to return for job prospects also had a major problem with Australia to begin with and made no bones about the fact they'd leave if they could. I've worked in lower end jobs here despite being a management grade Civil Servant back in the UK so understand where many come from, niche skills will always be a problem and you may need to wander globally if you want to stay in those professions.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if you've come halfway around the world chasing big bucks why on earth wouldn't you do the same again if it works for you.

Edited by Que Sera Sera

My point was that people aren't leaving because they want to, it is

because there is little choice - I don't know if Centrelink pays for your mortgage or for how long or whether you would be re-housed if homeless but living on benefits is not what most people would choose -

its not about a better paid job, it's about A job with a living wage - if I had to move back to Australia for that then very reluctantly I

would.

I certainly didn't move to Australia for more money - I was on about £100k in the UK

before we left and I was on $76k when we first arrived on a 457 doing exactly the same job. I knew the salary when I accepted the role but 'lifestyle' was more important - Australia & Perth especially is a backwater in most industries, if I'd been moving for money I'd have gone to New York, Hong Kong or back to London even.

Earning more money for less hours and more holiday is a happy by product of moving back but not in any shape or form a factor in the decision.

My point was that people aren't leaving because they want to, it is

because there is little choice - I don't know if Centrelink pays for your mortgage or for how long or whether you would be re-housed if homeless but living on benefits is not what most people would choose -

its not about a better paid job, it's about A job with a living wage - if I had to move back to Australia for that then very reluctantly I

would.

I certainly didn't move to Australia for more money - I was on about £100k in the UK

before we left and I was on $76k when we first arrived on a 457 doing exactly the same job. I knew the salary when I accepted the role but 'lifestyle' was more important - Australia & Perth especially is a backwater in most industries, if I'd been moving for money I'd have gone to New York, Hong Kong or back to London even.

Earning more money for less hours and more holiday is a happy by product of moving back but not in any shape or form a factor in the decision.

And I was in no way saying you had but, what I was trying to say is that there are many us who would not consider a move back regardless of financial reasons. Many of us bought in cheap areas with low mortgages managable even if the worst happened and even if those mortgages couldn't be paid would rather rent here than move back. Despite my OH earning an exceptionally good wage at present we know it's not forever and we have not overstretched ourselves and many of my friends who run in the same circle are happy living a modest life on a modest wage. Maybe being working class we are just more happy with our lot. Whilst my OH is earning a great wage we have squirrelled away savings for that rainy day in case we don't have work which seems to be a concept that's a bit old fashioned nowadays.

Maybe this will give some perspective. I am on the way to the airport as I write.

First, we certainly never came for money. In fact I took about 40% pay cut to do so and was very aware of what the salary was going to be from the start. We came for a variety of reasons such as the old chestnut "better life" and the "better life /work balance". Neither of which we found correct.

We also looked at lots of other aspects. In fact money has always been very low on our list. Likewise possessions. Hence why my car was a very old Getz.

We believed we had planned well for possible downturn and budgeted on us being ok on half or even less of the income we had when we built the house. We built in what we thought were very robust plans. What we couldn't factor in was only earning minimum wage for 18 months. And that even then drying up and getting $480 a week in benefits. Including paying the mortgage from.

We tried for a very long time - with hind sight, too long to make it work financially. But the numbers just could not add up. The add in that my industry is not going to get better any time soon and I believe WA is

not even neat at bottom yet and I had to consider our options.

So after months of fruitless job hunting, we agreed to start looking at roles back in the UK. We didn't know what would happen. But, with a month, I had 4 interviews and 2 offers. The writing was on the wall.

Will we ever come back to Oz? I don't know. I doubt it.

I do wish every one staying though the best and good luck.

• Like 1

Maybe this will give some perspective. I am on the way to the airport as I write.

First, we certainly never came for money. In fact I took about 40% pay cut to do so and was very aware of what the salary was going to be from the start. We came for a variety of reasons such as the old chestnut "better life" and the "better life /work balance". Neither of which we found correct.

How funny.

You're not the same Verystormy who came to Australia on a salary of $82k as a graduate trainee and was so thankful at the time because he'd been living on $10k pa as a student up till then and making a bowl of stew last three days, then?

I meant to say Very Stormy :embarrassed: Sorry EW.

We also looked at lots of other aspects. In fact money has always been very low on our list. Likewise possessions. Hence why my car was a very old Getz.

We believed we had planned well for possible downturn and budgeted on us being ok on half or even less of the income we had when we built the house. We built in what we thought were very robust plans. What we couldn't factor in was only earning minimum wage for 18 months. And that even then drying up and getting $480 a week in benefits. Including paying the mortgage from.

We tried for a very long time - with hind sight, too long to make it work financially. But the numbers just could not add up. The add in that my industry is not going to get better any time soon and I believe WA is

not even neat at bottom yet and I had to consider our options.

So after months of fruitless job hunting, we agreed to start looking at roles back in the UK. We didn't know what would happen. But, with a month, I had 4 interviews and 2 offers. The writing was on the wall.

Will we ever come back to Oz? I don't know. I doubt it.

I do wish every one staying though the best and good luck.

To vs ,all the very best of luck ...hope it all works out for you .

I was in Las Vegas last week on a freebie ...all the lads I was with are all doing very well ....i felt like the poor relation .

The lad who arranged the trip ,took £10k to gamble with .

It didn't interest me ...plua times are a bit tighter for us.

I also bumped into a Lad I used to know from a breakfast business club I used to go to ......they are all doing extremely well .

One lad had just started a building co ......he signed a £1million deal last week ...alright for some

To vs ,all the very best of luck ...hope it all works out for you .

I was in Las Vegas last week on a freebie ...all the lads I was with are all doing very well ....i felt like the poor relation .

The lad who arranged the trip ,took £10k to gamble with .

It didn't interest me ...plua times are a bit tighter for us.

I also bumped into a Lad I used to know from a breakfast business club I used to go to ......they are all doing extremely well .

One lad had just started a building co ......he signed a £1million deal last week ...alright for some

Did the bloke who arranged the trip blow his 10,000 quid or was he lucky?