Should I stay or should I go now........

Ali74

Hi,

My family consist of My Husband, two sons 15 & 9 and myself.

We have been in Perth for just under 3.5 years and although we feel life for the kids is far better here than in the UK neither of us seem to have settled. I have taken a job lower than I was working at in the UK as has my husband, which means our financial situation here sees us living from month to month.

Since moving to OZ we have both lost a parent and had a sibling diagnosed with cancer.

We had a fantastic family support network in the UK although this has all but gone with the death of two parents. We also had a large social circle, we are quite lucky in that we still have a property in the UK and I still have work there until 2017.

We have toyed with the idea of sticking out until we have our Citizenship but would love to hear any opinions, thoughts or similar experiences.

Your eldest is going to be the problem - you've probably got 12-18 months to get citizenship but then that would make your eldest at a very difficult age for getting back into education in UK. And then if he finishes school in Aus you're stuck until the end of Uni by which time he probably won't want to move with you anyway.

If your options look better in UK then go and go quickly before the education thing gets too tricky otherwise I can't see that you will ever have a "right" time.

There is someone else posted recently about looking to move back with a 15 year old who will be 16 and having to do GCSE's. Perhaps have a read of that thread to give you some idea of options re schooling. Its not impossible and people have suggested 6th form for GCSE's, college and then later uni.

You'd need 3 years of residence in England to avoid the international uni fees iirc is the only thing.

Personally, if you can wangle it and the 15 year old is happy with it all (ie potentially going to 6th form to sit GSCe's say) I'd try to get citizenship if you all really feel you want it. How do the kids feel about it? You both? You know your kids and how they would potentially cope with it all.

If none of you are that fussed then don't worry about it and head back asap as suits you all :)

Hi,

We have been in Perth for just under 3.5 years and although we feel life for the kids is far better here than in the UK neither of us seem to have settled. I have taken a job lower than I was working at in the UK as has my husband, which means our financial situation here sees us living from month to month.

Since moving to OZ we have both lost a parent and had a sibling diagnosed with cancer.

We had a fantastic family support network in the UK although this has all but gone with the death of two parents. We also had a large social circle, we are quite lucky in that we still have a property in the UK and I still have work there until 2017.

We have toyed with the idea of sticking out until we have our Citizenship but would love to hear any opinions, thoughts or similar experiences.

We did not apply for citizenship, pointless really, we knew we would never want to return away back down there.

Hi,

My thoughts on this are firstly I am sorry to hear about these things which have happened to you all, and my thoughts are with you.

My thoughts are if you are currently working, it might be better to gain your PR here or Citizenship just as a back up for later down the track, as you just don't know when that might come in handy so to speak, as this is exactly what I did, got my PR and then waited a little longer and applied for my Citizenship, as I too never know If I may return to a different part of Australia, it's always better to have choices, I have been here 9 years, five to many in hindsight (currently about to leave very soon) as I believe I have had quite enough now. I have worked most of the 9 years to date, however, I am now out of work and I find it an absolute nightmare to find work now and have never ever in my life experienced it so difficult, but that's my story,

Getting back to your story, if you have both never settled then perhaps it is not for you, (I am on the same page by the way) so empathize with you both on that one, there just seems to be so much more available in the UK, not only Europe on your doorstep but there are amazing things of interest there, and it can sometimes take a person to leave their own country to then appreciate it on their return, I know I will...LOL Food (quality) just quality, Currys there are very few here that are any good, am sure we are on the same page, I probably should not be to direct here, as I might get in trouble LOL what is there to do here, apart from going to the Beaches (which are very nice don't get me wrong) but your not going to swim for obvious reasons and your not going to sunbath for the same reasons (no ozone protection here) ect ect ect Unless you love Boating, Fishing and Camping hey ho

One more point, if you have more family back home in the UK, that would seem a most logical approach to return when you are both ready and have gained your Citizenship of course...these are just my opinions of course

Hi,

How does your sone feel about the move , we emigrated to Oz with a 16 and 15 year old and it was very difficult but it eventually worked out ok

Personally I would get your citizenship under your belt as one should never say never

Your sons maybe in later life would want to go back to Oz better if they have citizenship than not

• 3 months later...

Thank you all for your input, I think we will stay for Citizenship, more so to give the boys more opportunities. As for the education we may just have to bear the brunt of increased costs of uni for the eldest on our return.

• 2 weeks later...

I am probably in the minority of people but the education thing isn't as big a deal to me. If you really think about it what difference would an extra couple of years before graduating make? Due to time spent in the Royal Navy I didn't start Uni until I was 22 and have ended up with a pretty decent accountancy career where I now own my own consulting business.

I am not trying to demean education as a factor, but am trying to point out that over the course of a whole lifetime a couple of years doesn't really add up to much. If you were to get citizenship and then go back your son could always wait until he meets residency before going to university. He would still graduate before he was 25 and have 45 years working life left.

Just my two cents.

Good luck

Si

Hi,

Will your jobs be affected by brexit? Positive or negative?

The exchange rate has moved in your favour.

15 is a difficult age. About to start a level.

Well It's never going to be a better time to go back now.With The Exchange Rate being in Your Favour. We have been in Australia a long time. And the Economic signs for Australia's future looks Grim.They Relied Too much on the Mining boom,Never Diversified and now they are Broke.There's no work,20% are unemployed in QLD.And Spending like Drunken Sailors. The Worst Spend Being $448 Billion on Obsolete Diesel Powered Submarines.They have gone down that Path of Disaster with The Collins Class Submarines.That Have to have Billions spent on them to get them Operational.They are saying that 5 million Jobs will disappear in the next 5-10 years.Out of a Workforce of 15 million.I think that says it All. We can't even afford to get our Cataracts Done there's a waiting list for 6 years.or pay $12000 Each in a Private Hospital.

I am probably in the minority of people but the education thing isn't as big a deal to me. If you really think about it what difference would an extra couple of years before graduating make? Due to time spent in the Royal Navy I didn't start Uni until I was 22 and have ended up with a pretty decent accountancy career where I now own my own consulting business.

I am not trying to demean education as a factor, but am trying to point out that over the course of a whole lifetime a couple of years doesn't really add up to much. If you were to get citizenship and then go back your son could always wait until he meets residency before going to university. He would still graduate before he was 25 and have 45 years working life left.

Just my two cents.

Good luck

Si

I also graduated late after working and it did me know harm.

Also, does the three years apply for Scotland and Wales ?

Well It's never going to be a better time to go back now.With The Exchange Rate being in Your Favour. We have been in Australia a long time. And the Economic signs for Australia's future looks Grim.They Relied Too much on the Mining boom,Never Diversified and now they are Broke.There's no work,20% are unemployed in QLD.And Spending like Drunken Sailors. The Worst Spend Being $448 Billion on Obsolete Diesel Powered Submarines.They have gone down that Path of Disaster with The Collins Class Submarines.That Have to have Billions spent on them to get them Operational.They are saying that 5 million Jobs will disappear in the next 5-10 years.Out of a Workforce of 15 million.I think that says it All. We can't even afford to get our Cataracts Done there's a waiting list for 6 years.or pay $12000 Each in a Private Hospital.

A friend had a wait of just over 3 months for her cataract op in a public hospital. Tassie (at least this area) doesn't have the long waiting list.

A friend had a wait of just over 3 months for her cataract op in a public hospital. Tassie (at least this area) doesn't have the long waiting list.

The average waiting time in England for cataract removal is 59 days, in NSW it is a staggering 238. It just shows how different it is in different countries and even regions.

The average waiting time in England for cataract removal is 59 days, in NSW it is a staggering 238. It just shows how different it is in different countries and even regions.

Yes but 6 years to wait in whatever part of QLD Zack lives in is just about hopeless.

Queensland unemployment rate 6.2%. Certainly, higher in areas previously heavily dependent on mining. However, the falling dollar is helping tourism in coastal towns. I wonder what the unemployment rate in the UK will be a year from now....

Queensland unemployment rate 6.2%. Certainly, higher in areas previously heavily dependent on mining. However, the falling dollar is helping tourism in coastal towns. I wonder what the unemployment rate in the UK will be a year from now....

Again, why does it matter to you ? It quite possible, likely, unlikely the unemployment rate in QLD/ UK will be higher/lower in a year from now. The falling dollar won't help tourism from here.

An asserted "fact" of 20% unemployment in Queensland as a whole is not a "fact", as can be discovered in less than a minute. The falling dollar, of course, refers to the Australian dollar against the US dollar. That makes Australia a cheaper destination for tourists who come mostly from Asia, China in particular. If you are dispensing advice, better stick to the facts, no?

An asserted "fact" of 20% unemployment in Queensland as a whole is not a "fact", as can be discovered in less than a minute. The falling dollar, of course, refers to the Australian dollar against the US dollar. That makes Australia a cheaper destination for tourists who come mostly from Asia, China in particular. If you are dispensing advice, better stick to the facts, no?

Why do you make it sound as though I said QLD had a 20% unemployment rate ? Perhaps he was referring to youth unemployment which is up near 30% ? Again though this is Zack, we take no notice.

Archived