We hit the re-set button...

SteveandKirsty

We are back...

We originally looked at emigrating to Australia in 2013, we went on a successful recce to Adelaide/SA and set plans in motion to make the move. However, without raking up the past (and old thread/s on here) for one or two reasons it did not happen.

However, we have both since had a total re-think and have decided to approach the idea again. We went to Perth & WA for what was only really going to be a holiday but ended up becoming another recce earlier this month and returned last week. Things have moved fast and we attended Down Under Live at Sandown Park this weekend. Other than a bit of a refresher course we didn't actually learn anything we didn't already know (it was very busy though....) and actually on some subjects we knew more than some of the speakers and exhibitors. We never saw anywhere in Perth selling a Beer for $30. Anyway, I digress.

A question we could/should have asked today but didn't (the queue for the migration agent was huge all day) and we were wondering if any of you guys on here had the answer without us trawling through paperwork and websites.

Kirsty received a positive skills assessment from VETASSES in June 2014. We cannot see anywhere on it that gives a time frame, but how long does this last? I'm thinking two years from date of issue or have I just made that up in my mind?

I thought it was 3 years but am not an expert so hopefully someone will come along to clarify

“Introduction of Validity Period for Skills Assessments

Following amendments to the Migration Regulations 1994, from 1 July 2014, if a skills assessment is mandatory as part of a visa application, it will only be valid for a period of 3 years from the date of issue, unless a shorter validity period is specified on the assessment.

A skills assessment must be valid at the time of lodgement for the following visas:

• Direct Entry stream of the Employer Nominated Scheme (subclass 186) visa;
  • Direct Entry stream of the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (subclass 187) visa; and
  • Graduate Work stream of the Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa.

A skills assessment must be valid at the time of invitation to apply through SkillSelect for the following visas:

• Skilled—Independent (subclass 189) visa;
  • Skilled—Nominated (subclass 190) visa; and
  • Skilled Regional (Provisional) (subclass 489) visa.

We also attended and were told it's 3 years. You didn't miss much with the migration agents. We queued for roughly 2 hours and got 5 mins if that. They we're not interested in us because we are "high risk" as to whether we would be accepted for a visa. Their main aim for the day was to sign up people they would be able to get an easy visa for and make their fees from. Just my honest opinion. We actually do have the ability to get the 60 points (with the ielts) but they didn't bother to ask us the questions. We came away feeling dejected but are now going to look into it further.

What makes you (or anyone) high risk?

From what was said it was purely to do with my husband being 47 and so we would be scraping together the points. They said we would need to sign a disclaimer to say it was all at our own risk if we were to take up their services. We won't be.

We are back...

We originally looked at emigrating to Australia in 2013, we went on a successful recce to Adelaide/SA and set plans in motion to make the move. However, without raking up the past (and old thread/s on here) for one or two reasons it did not happen.

However, we have both since had a total re-think and have decided to approach the idea again. We went to Perth & WA for what was only really going to be a holiday but ended up becoming another recce earlier this month and returned last week. Things have moved fast and we attended Down Under Live at Sandown Park this weekend. Other than a bit of a refresher course we didn't actually learn anything we didn't already know (it was very busy though....) and actually on some subjects we knew more than some of the speakers and exhibitors. We never saw anywhere in Perth selling a Beer for $30. Anyway, I digress.

A question we could/should have asked today but didn't (the queue for the migration agent was huge all day) and we were wondering if any of you guys on here had the answer without us trawling through paperwork and websites.

Kirsty received a positive skills assessment from VETASSES in June 2014. We cannot see anywhere on it that gives a time frame, but how long does this last? I'm thinking two years from date of issue or have I just made that up in my mind?

Are you still thinking of moving to Adelaide? Is Kirsty fully committed to moving to Australia this time as she was unsure previously?

We are back...

I went to to the event on Sunday too. Found it to be pretty poor on the helpful front. Learnt one or two minor things but it was more about bank accounts and moving than people actually giving out valuable helpful advice. I queued in the job section to be told I was in Good hands with agent GO MATILDA.

£15 for a beer I remember that being said too. Pricey hey.

I went to to the event on Sunday too. Found it to be pretty poor on the helpful front. Learnt one or two minor things but it was more about bank accounts and moving than people actually giving out valuable helpful advice. I queued in the job section to be told I was in Good hands with agent GO MATILDA.

We went to a migration event a year or so ago in Glasgow and were really disappointed, (it took me weeks to convince my wife to even go and the event was so disappointing it almost made her put a stop to the whole emigration plans there and then). I've just done a quick search of Go Matilda as I hadn't heard of them but they seem to get some really bad reviews.

So far we have contacted two agents:

ISA Group - they said that they normally do a free visa assessment within a couple of days of receiving your CVs but we are still waiting a month later, (they did say that they had a busy January but surely a month..., the first time I chased it up they never replied so I emailed a week later and this time they did reply and said that they were working their way through the CVs collected from Glasgow, (guessing another expo), and they'd endeavour to get everyone a response but he end of the week - that was last week and still haven't heard anything!).

Immigration2Oz - they did do a free initial assessment but even after sending our CVs asked for the number of hours supervised teacher training my wife had and also said we would need written evidence of it, but that was over 15 years ago and she is a fully qualified teacher who has been doing the job for 15 years so we couldn't understand why this was so relevant? We didn't get chance to send it and they emailed us to say that we would be eligible to migrate on a skilled state nominated visa? Does this mean that the teacher training hours are no longer needed or are they guessing/making assumptions to see if we are eligible for a visa?

We are new to, (and totally baffled by), the whole migration and visa options. Do people think that it is possible to apply for visa without going through an agent and does anyone have any experience of this? Is it worth trying or best to just stump up the fees and go through an agent?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this please remove it, (new to the forum too), thanks

We went to a migration event a year or so ago in Glasgow and were really disappointed, (it took me weeks to convince my wife to even go and the event was so disappointing it almost made her put a stop to the whole emigration plans there and then). I've just done a quick search of Go Matilda as I hadn't heard of them but they seem to get some really bad reviews.

ISA Group - they said that they normally do a free visa assessment within a couple of days of receiving your CVs but we are still waiting a month later, (they did say that they had a busy January but surely a month..., the first time I chased it up they never replied so I emailed a week later and this time they did reply and said that they were working their way through the CVs collected from Glasgow, (guessing another expo), and they'd endeavour to get everyone a response but he end of the week - that was last week and still haven't heard anything!).

Immigration2Oz - they did do a free initial assessment but even after sending our CVs asked for the number of hours supervised teacher training my wife had and also said we would need written evidence of it, but that was over 15 years ago and she is a fully qualified teacher who has been doing the job for 15 years so we couldn't understand why this was so relevant? We didn't get chance to send it and they emailed us to say that we would be eligible to migrate on a skilled state nominated visa? Does this mean that the teacher training hours are no longer needed or are they guessing/making assumptions to see if we are eligible for a visa?

We are new to, (and totally baffled by), the whole migration and visa options. Do people think that it is possible to apply for visa without going through an agent and does anyone have any experience of this? Is it worth trying or best to just stump up the fees and go through an agent?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this please remove it, (new to the forum too), thanks

if it helps any, I went with Visa Bureau. Darren was really prompt in answering my early questions (even told me I could do some parts myself rather than pay them eg nursing reg) and my case officer Jennifer has been excellent. You dont always need an agent but getting one you feel happy with 100% is vital, whoever they are. If you are straight forward and feel confident, do it yourself. I have spent around £2700 on it, and very happy with the service I have received as its been really stress free for us, but equally fully aware we could have done it ourselves and saved the money (but maybe not my sanity!). Maybe check our a few mara regstered agents. If they all say the same visa then either do it yourself and save the cash or go with the one that made you feel the best.

if it helps any, I went with Visa Bureau. Darren was really prompt in answering my early questions (even told me I could do some parts myself rather than pay them eg nursing reg) and my case officer Jennifer has been excellent. You dont always need an agent but getting one you feel happy with 100% is vital, whoever they are. If you are straight forward and feel confident, do it yourself. I have spent around £2700 on it, and very happy with the service I have received as its been really stress free for us, but equally fully aware we could have done it ourselves and saved the money (but maybe not my sanity!). Maybe check our a few mara regstered agents. If they all say the same visa then either do it yourself and save the cash or go with the one that made you feel the best.

Thanks for the advice - we were waiting to hear back from ISA to compare the two but getting frustrated now so will get in touch with Visa Bureau. Thanks again

Am sending a PM to you.

Best regards.

For what it's worth I used Go Matilda and found them very professiona, efficient, and friendly. How there prices compare to other agents I don't really know though. Could it be that their reputation (which contrary to your belief seems to be pretty favourable on PIO) means they don't need to give you the hard sell whereas others might? In such circumstances, not just with regard to migration agents, I find you're generally better off going with the company/product that doesn't need to sell themselves.

There are several very good migration agents who post regularly on this forum, and you'd be in good hands with any of them - look for usernames Alan Collett (Go Matilda), WRussell and Raul Senise.

From what was said it was purely to do with my husband being 47 and so we would be scraping together the points. They said we would need to sign a disclaimer to say it was all at our own risk if we were to take up their services. We won't be.

I'm not sure why they'd ask you to sign a disclaimer. Age is one element in the points test, and they should be able to do a proper assessment of your situation to advise if you can claim enough points elsewhere to meet the criteria for a visa. I suppose every agent may include some form of disclaimer that they can't guarantee a visa outcome, and you pay for services rendered in preparing the application, advice given, etc. They can't help it if an applicant can't get the required 20 points for English, etc. but they should advise any applicant of that.

There are several very good migration agents who post regularly on this forum, and you'd be in good hands with any of them - look for usernames Alan Collett (Go Matilda), WRussell and Raul Senise.

I'm not sure why they'd ask you to sign a disclaimer. Age is one element in the points test, and they should be able to do a proper assessment of your situation to advise if you can claim enough points elsewhere to meet the criteria for a visa. I suppose every agent may include some form of disclaimer that they can't guarantee a visa outcome, and you pay for services rendered in preparing the application, advice given, etc. They can't help it if an applicant can't get the required 20 points for English, etc. but they should advise any applicant of that.

Advisors will take a client's instructions, but where the instructions follow an agent's opinion that the prospects are not good it is prudent practice management/mitigation of a prospective future PI claim to ask the client to confirm s/he is proceeding at the client's risk while mindful of the agent's opinion.

That's my interpretation of the disclaimer aspect anyway!

Best regards.

Hi Noodle78, Just some reassurance. I am a single parent and applied for PR independent visa ( think it was 176) in April 2009. They received it 9 days before My 45th birthday!!! - 45 was the cut off age then!!! So aged 47 when cut off is 50 sounds fine to me.

I got visa grant in Dec 2009 although didn't move out until end 2014 - aged 50 ( my child moved out to Aus at beg of 2012 for Uni once he turned 18 --- so it was all go for the citizenship application for him last week - submitted now!)

I did not use migration agent - managed myself without problems - process was definately time consuming but clear. Interesting that they only want easy cases as I would have only used one if I was in complex situation. I did IELTS which gave me extra points.

It was well worth it as love living out here - will be 18 months in 2 weeks time!

I havent registered or posted before so unsure if my post goes just to you or to whole forum. If latter, apologies to everyone else but wanted to reassure Noodle78 that age alone does not make application high risk if you can get the points. As long as you're under the age limit and can meet the other criteria you seem to be treated the same whether you're 29 or 49.

Hi Noodle78, Just some reassurance. I am a single parent and applied for PR independent visa ( think it was 176) in April 2009. They received it 9 days before My 45th birthday!!! - 45 was the cut off age then!!! So aged 47 when cut off is 50 sounds fine to me.

I got visa grant in Dec 2009 although didn't move out until end 2014 - aged 50 ( my child moved out to Aus at beg of 2012 for Uni once he turned 18 --- so it was all go for the citizenship application for him last week - submitted now!)

I did not use migration agent - managed myself without problems - process was definately time consuming but clear. Interesting that they only want easy cases as I would have only used one if I was in complex situation. I did IELTS which gave me extra points.

It was well worth it as love living out here - will be 18 months in 2 weeks time!

I havent registered or posted before so unsure if my post goes just to you or to whole forum. If latter, apologies to everyone else but wanted to reassure Noodle78 that age alone does not make application high risk if you can get the points. As long as you're under the age limit and can meet the other criteria you seem to be treated the same whether you're 29 or 49.

Once aged 45 or over it is relatively unusual for applicants to be able to secure 60 points.

It's not an issue of the application being an "easy case".

Remember also that the points test is different now to when you applied.

Best regards.

Surprised to hear of bad reviews for Go Matilda - I think the only one I have ever seen was from someone given duff advice by someone like a disgruntled employee who was about to leave! Had advice from them personally in the past and if I was to pay an agent for advice they are in my top two.

Also think Alan deserves a pat on the back for the amount of free advice he dishes out!

15 quid is a downright lie. Expect to pay about $10 in town and trendy pubs. Cheaper elsewhere. Our local Surf Club is $6 a pint and million dollar views from the balcony. How did you find Perth btw. Did you like it?

ab4122 - I have 2 teacher friends who applied (fairly) recently and did it themselves, it's definitely possible. We are not intending to pay for an agent either, although we are right at the beginning too

We did everything ourselves when we came. Thought it was expensive enough without an agent taking more. Only reason I'd use one if it was a marginal application and an agent could make a positive contribution.

I don't blame you for not taking up their services! With good research and knowledge it is possible to do it without an agent and it saves a lot of money in the process. We don't intend to use one. Good luck with it all :-)

15 quid is a downright lie. Expect to pay about $10 in town and trendy pubs. Cheaper elsewhere. Our local Surf Club is $6 a pint and million dollar views from the balcony. How did you find Perth btw. Did you like it?

Exactly. Perth got a reputation for being expensive in recent years (even some of our Aussie & Australian domiciled friends told us it would be) However, it isn't, not any more and at least not compared to the southeast of England where we are from where $35-$40 for a pub meal is creeping up to be the norm again. We found prices to be on a parity, although that was when it was $2 to £1, the fall in the Pound since we returned with slightly skew that now (today it is $1.88 to £1 I note)

We both absolutely loved Perth and WA and although it is South Australia we are looking at heading to (mainly because Kirsty can get a state sponsored 190 visa there) there is no doubt that our trip to WA has rekindled the dream.

I thought it was 3 years but am not an expert so hopefully someone will come along to clarify

“Introduction of Validity Period for Skills Assessments

Following amendments to the Migration Regulations 1994, from 1 July 2014, if a skills assessment is mandatory as part of a visa application, it will only be valid for a period of 3 years from the date of issue, unless a shorter validity period is specified on the assessment.

A skills assessment must be valid at the time of lodgement for the following visas:

• Direct Entry stream of the Employer Nominated Scheme (subclass 186) visa;

• Direct Entry stream of the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (subclass 187) visa; and

• Graduate Work stream of the Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa.

A skills assessment must be valid at the time of invitation to apply through SkillSelect for the following visas:

• Skilled—Independent (subclass 189) visa;

• Skilled—Nominated (subclass 190) visa; and

• Skilled Regional (Provisional) (subclass 489) visa.

Thanks

Archived