Keeping Australian mobile number in UK

Chortlepuss

As we're probably only going to be in UK for a year I'd like to keep my mobile number. My current service providers cheapest deal is $15 per month, but it won't work overseas. I understand I could get a Vodafone 365 day expiry $20 Sim and port my number to that. Has anyone done this, and if so would I be able to get any messages to the phone whilst in the UK? The guy at Vodafone seemed to think it would be too expensive as roaming would be on, but is it possible? My phone is unlocked

We have a mobile that's with Optus pay as you go on I think a 365 expiry and I have created an online account so can top it up It works as in receives messages in the UK and send messages in the Uk Maybe you could keep your Aussie SIM card in an old or cheap phone and get a Uk SIM card to use in the UK that would probably me more cost effective

I have a similar kind of question just proving I know nothing about computers but do you need to change your Email? or just part of it? I'm with yahoo and my email ends .co.uk. will this change automatically?

It won't change. Yahoo is web based and not tied to a particular service provider. You can keep the same address

I have a similar kind of question just proving I know nothing about computers but do you need to change your Email? or just part of it? I'm with yahoo and my email ends .co.uk. will this change automatically?

No you won't need to change your email as its a web based one , you could set up a yahoo I'd in oz if you wanted something ending in au If your taking a laptop ,iPad or iPhone you need to change regions on the laptop and apple I store

Yes I got the $20 card and thus far it works well. I did have a glitch in that when I opened the account I asked specifically for international roaming but the girl didn't get it set up so I had an email correspondence with Vodafone from UK and they set it up for me along with a pin so I could look at my account whenever I wanted. I'm happy that I get the best coverage of all the mobile companies we've tried here in our little black spot. It is a darned sight cheaper than Virgin would give me.

Isn't international roaming very expensive?

Yes Dianne it is but sometimes it's hand to keep an Aussie number for conatct purposes We have one at the minute that's a pay as you go for 365 days We can give that number to everyone in the Uk as a conatct when we leave here in April then send permanent Aussie numbers when we get them We intend to do pay as you go with our Uk numbers for a while too so that we have transition when moving

Isn't international roaming very expensive?

As long as you don't use it for making contact its not. Receiving texts is free - receiving calls is another ballgame and they can be expensive. All I want to do with my Aus sim is get texts from my bank and so it costs nothing. I use that phone otherwise on our WiFi network for other functions. I'm actually impressed with the Vodafone 365 sim because it's keeping my number active, for a fraction of the cost I have been forking out for the past few years. I'd never have known about it other than I went into my bank to talk about the security of transfers whilst I am in UK because it was costing me a lot for a facility I was using only a couple of times a year and the bank advisor suggested it! But it is easier to get it all set up before you leave - I thought I had but then found I hadn't! It was a painless email correspondence though. Vodafone went up in my estimation I must admit!