Which visa would you choose

can1983

So this may seem mad but I've noticed that general skilled migration visas for those with good English language skills is AUD3600

partner visas are AUD 6800

so despite having an australian wife I might as well go for a 189 instead of a partner visa

that seems insane but why not? It's half the cost!!

has anyone ever tried this successfully?

So this may seem mad but I've noticed that general skilled migration visas for those with good English language skills is AUD3600

partner visas are AUD 6800

so despite having an australian wife I might as well go for a 189 instead of a partner visa

that seems insane but why not? It's half the cost!!

has anyone ever tried this successfully?

A few points to consider:

• If you meet the requirements, a skilled visa is a better option as it is a direct pathway to PR;

• For a partner visa you will wait over a year for the provisional stage and over 2 years for PR;

• Once the skilled visa is granted, you have PR irrelevant of your relationship status;

• The partner visa is contingent on the relationship until PR is achieved (2 years);

• The skilled visa is usually much quicker and cheaper, although you do need to factor in the additional costs of a skills assessment and English (if required).

• If you meet the requirements, a skilled visa is a better option as it is a direct pathway to PR;

• For a partner visa you will wait over a year for the provisional stage and over 2 years for PR;

• Once the skilled visa is granted, you have PR irrelevant of your relationship status;

• The partner visa is contingent on the relationship until PR is achieved (2 years);

• The skilled visa is usually much quicker and cheaper, although you do need to factor in the additional costs of a skills assessment and English (if required).

thanks, so it's the best path then the skilled visa. Should I just claim 65 points for native English on my EOI or claim the extra 5 and take the tests to prove it?

for clarification we've been married for two years and will shortly have a child does that not mean pr immediately follows the temp visa?

im after using an agent perhaps you could pm me?

If a couple have been together over 3 years, or over two years if they have children, the partner goes straight to PR. I also think if you have been togther for some time the paper work for the partner visa can be easier than going through the skills assessment, although I haven't done the skilled visa thing so can only judge from what I see on here.

OP, when comparing costs make sure you factor in the additional costs of the skilled visa and consider if it is an application you can complete by yourself or if you will need assistance from an agent as this may have an impact on your decision about which visa is best for you.

If a couple have been together over 3 years, or over two years if they have children, the partner goes straight to PR. I also think if you have been togther for some time the paper work for the partner visa can be easier than going through the skills assessment, although I haven't done the skilled visa thing so can only judge from what I see on here.

OP, when comparing costs make sure you factor in the additional costs of the skilled visa and consider if it is an application you can complete by yourself or if you will need assistance from an agent as this may have an impact on your decision about which visa is best for you.

Well I think I'd use an agent in either case getting the partner visa forms muddled can cause excessive delays right?

skills assessment isn't required for me I think, the regulatory body for me is the same for australia as the UK engineers australia refer to Royal institution of naval architects as do the engineering council in the uk

Can I also delay moving to oz for longer with the skilled?

Well I think I'd use an agent in either case getting the partner visa forms muddled can cause excessive delays right?

skills assessment isn't required for me I think, the regulatory body for me is the same for australia as the UK engineers australia refer to Royal institution of naval architects as do the engineering council in the uk

Can I also delay moving to oz for longer with the skilled?

Unless you have something that makes it more complicated the partner visa is pretty straightforward and the hardest thing is collecting the evidence together, which you would have to do anyway even if you used an agent. I can't comment on the skilled visa as I haven't been through the process. Lots of people do it without an agent although there seems to be more things you can get wrong with the skilled visa. The time you have to move is the same regardless of the type of visa, with the only exception I can think of being the prospective marriage visa.

Unless you have something that makes it more complicated the partner visa is pretty straightforward and the hardest thing is collecting the evidence together, which you would have to do anyway even if you used an agent. I can't comment on the skilled visa as I haven't been through the process. Lots of people do it without an agent although there seems to be more things you can get wrong with the skilled visa. The time you have to move is the same regardless of the type of visa, with the only exception I can think of being the prospective marriage visa.

I didn't realise that, I thought partner visa u had to move within a year from applying but people on skilled visas seem to wait 2 years before going simply going there on holiday to "activate it"

I didn't realise that, I thought partner visa u had to move within a year from applying but people on skilled visas seem to wait 2 years before going simply going there on holiday to "activate it"

You have a year to activate a partner visa from the date of the medical or police check, whichever was first. The you have 5 years to move permanently...or maybe it's 5 including that year....anyway you get a ling while!

Everyone granted a visa has to validate it. Afaik the validation timeframe is a year from medical or police check, whichever is done first.

You don't have to move within a year from applying for a partner visa. I could have validated my partner visa with a holiday, then moved to Aus 3 years later if I had wanted. As it was I validated on a one way trip as we had planned our move for then.

For a partner visa the application process is straightforward and most people opt to do it themselves. There is form filling and evidence etc to provide but its not difficult. And as said, you'd still have to gather all the evidence yourself as your agent can't. Barring a serious health issue or criminal record, I don't see its vital to pay an agent to handle the application for a partner visa but that is me. If you meet the timeframe requirements etc and supply the required evidence, its just a matter of waiting for the grant. The official timeframe offshore is 10-14 months. However, in recent times people seem to be seeing grants around the 7-8 month mark but this is not a given. People seem to run into difficulties around not being able to prove their de facto or not meeting the time frame requirements. Sure some do fill in the wrong bit on a form but mostly it seems to be lack of evidence or not being de facto as Aus immigration are after that causes issues.

There isn't much to muddle on a partner visa application IMHO. I filled out my own and had husband double check it. I double checked his sponsor forms. Made sure our dates given all matched (ie for holidays we had taken overseas together) We read over each others supporting statements to ensure we covered everything and that we didn't a) parrot each other and b) covered timelines correctly, so not wildly different dates etc. I wrote 2-3 pages of A4 typed, he wrote 5 pages handwritten. Gave our stories as we wanted. We provided the evidence, copies of passports, citizenship for him, birth certs, marriage certs, childs birth cert, childs Aus passport etc. In all honesty, the forms took a lot less time than the supporting statements and gathering the evidence. And you can double and triple check them. Plus ask or read up should you have any questions about it.

The partner visa migration booklet explains it all. Case of downloading and printing it off and having a good read over of it a few times to get your head round it.

Of course, you can take on an agent if you wish. Some do. Entirely personal choice and what you feel comfortable with.

End of the day, if the other visa is cheaper even with an agents fees, medical etc on top and quicker, and you can be confident of gaining it, go for that I guess. If you prefer the partner visa route, explore that route.

Everyone granted a visa has to validate it. Afaik the validation timeframe is a year from medical or police check, whichever is done first.

You don't have to move within a year from applying for a partner visa. I could have validated my partner visa with a holiday, then moved to Aus 3 years later if I had wanted. As it was I validated on a one way trip as we had planned our move for then.

For a partner visa the application process is straightforward and most people opt to do it themselves. There is form filling and evidence etc to provide but its not difficult. And as said, you'd still have to gather all the evidence yourself as your agent can't. Barring a serious health issue or criminal record, I don't see its vital to pay an agent to handle the application for a partner visa but that is me. If you meet the timeframe requirements etc and supply the required evidence, its just a matter of waiting for the grant. The official timeframe offshore is 10-14 months. However, in recent times people seem to be seeing grants around the 7-8 month mark but this is not a given. People seem to run into difficulties around not being able to prove their de facto or not meeting the time frame requirements. Sure some do fill in the wrong bit on a form but mostly it seems to be lack of evidence or not being de facto as Aus immigration are after that causes issues.

There isn't much to muddle on a partner visa application IMHO. I filled out my own and had husband double check it. I double checked his sponsor forms. Made sure our dates given all matched (ie for holidays we had taken overseas together) We read over each others supporting statements to ensure we covered everything and that we didn't a) parrot each other and b) covered timelines correctly, so not wildly different dates etc. I wrote 2-3 pages of A4 typed, he wrote 5 pages handwritten. Gave our stories as we wanted. We provided the evidence, copies of passports, citizenship for him, birth certs, marriage certs, childs birth cert, childs Aus passport etc. In all honesty, the forms took a lot less time than the supporting statements and gathering the evidence. And you can double and triple check them. Plus ask or read up should you have any questions about it.

The partner visa migration booklet explains it all. Case of downloading and printing it off and having a good read over of it a few times to get your head round it.

Of course, you can take on an agent if you wish. Some do. Entirely personal choice and what you feel comfortable with.

End of the day, if the other visa is cheaper even with an agents fees, medical etc on top and quicker, and you can be confident of gaining it, go for that I guess. If you prefer the partner visa route, explore that route.

Wow it's so complicated the quotes are in for both options ...

cost for partner visa with an agent is almost exactly the same as general skilled migration once all fees are considered. so using an agent to do a skilled application is pointless. Partner I feel is quite straight forward we have extensive evidence as we needed it for my wife's UK spouse visa

skilled visa done myself is $5000

partner visa done myself is $7500

so should I do a skilled application myself or a partner visa myself? I'm nervous about doing skilled myself to be honest

partner visa is as close to a dead cert as any visa can be

so I'm leaning towards doing my own partner visa and splitting the price difference

Wow it's so complicated the quotes are in for both options ...

cost for partner visa with an agent is almost exactly the same as general skilled migration once all fees are considered. so using an agent to do a skilled application is pointless. Partner I feel is quite straight forward we have extensive evidence as we needed it for my wife's UK spouse visa

skilled visa done myself is $5000

partner visa done myself is $7500

so should I do a skilled application myself or a partner visa myself? I'm nervous about doing skilled myself to be honest

partner visa is as close to a dead cert as any visa can be

so I'm leaning towards doing my own partner visa and splitting the price difference

As someone who has looked into both in the past, Partner is much easier and more straightforward paperwork wise. If you have a child and two years together (or 3 years with no child) , then you will get PR at once - thats the only proviso I'd put on it, make sure you have the baby first. The timeline now to get PR from the Temp Spouse is getting longer by the day so getting PR up front is the way to go.

As someone who has looked into both in the past, Partner is much easier and more straightforward paperwork wise. If you have a child and two years together (or 3 years with no child) , then you will get PR at once - thats the only proviso I'd put on it, make sure you have the baby first. The timeline now to get PR from the Temp Spouse is getting longer by the day so getting PR up front is the way to go.

Is it 3 years together, 3 years like you were married ie de facto, or 3 years married?

we have been together since March 2010, earliest joint tenancy bills etc is sydney in October 2011, married December 2013

Is it 3 years together, 3 years like you were married ie de facto, or 3 years married?

we have been together since March 2010, earliest joint tenancy bills etc is sydney in October 2011, married December 2013

Three years cohabiting/married, sounds like you should be fine if you can prove you have been living as a couple since 2011. You should get PR straightaway.

Just a thought can your wife get UK citizenship before you move. Even if she has indefinite leave to remain it will expire if she spends a few years outside the UK. UK partner visas are harder to get now!

Would make sense in the long run for you both to be dual citizens, after all your child will be. Good to have all the family on the same footing I think.

Just a thought can your wife get UK citizenship before you move. Even if she has indefinite leave to remain it will expire if she spends a few years outside the UK. UK partner visas are harder to get now!

Would make sense in the long run for you both to be dual citizens, after all your child will be. Good to have all the family on the same footing I think.

It sure would but she's on a long path to getting citizenship here.

Initial 2.5 year visa expires February 2017, think we then have to do another 2.5 years to get indefinite leave to remain then wait a year to apply for citizenship then wait for that to clear, sing the national anthem then leave

so but my estimation that's 2021. by which point out child will be at school and we'd prefer they went to school in oz really.

Ironically my friends wife arrive a year before us and has just got her UK passport because the old scheme was only for 2 years

its a massive process now to get uk citizenship, easier to claim asylum