Perth Elizabeth Quay Opens Tonight. Success Story or White Elephant?

flag of convenience

Totally agree about the shade. I was frying on Friday!

Luckily the river not a million miles away to cool off. Actually a shame a riverside beach, like Brisbane's South Bank, is not part of the picture.

It would have likely worked a treat with visitors. I recall a few years ago it would have seemed odd people swimming at Bather's Beach, Fremantle. Now quite the norm.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ferries are now docking at the new facility as from today. Far better seating than the previous ferry dock and a fifteen minute service I believe.

Most the feed back overheard to date has been very positive. A few ever thought it surpassed expectations.

Let's hope a few café/small bars and eating houses will set up at the facility in the very near future.

We had a wander there yesterday - despite the very overcast weather it was very busy. I know there is still construction ongoing and it was a little smaller than I anticipated, but I liked it, very easy to get to and the Ferry Dock was much better, in fact I don't think I've ever seen as many people waiting for the ferry.

It'll be interesting to see how it develops and I hope the eating establishments/cafe's open reasonably quickly so that it can start reaching it's potential.

Yes it will be interesting. Perth badly needs a boost to lift it to another status. Due to the 'boom' that allowed a once in a hundred year chance to shake off its Dullsville tag that it was branded with some dozen odd years back in the media , in creating a unique spectacle, worthy being representative of a city in such a location and size. As such cost should not be a 'holding back' factor.

My view is that while the present structure shows promise, it could have been breath taking. I'm afraid I have never arrived at a conclusion as to why Perth does not think on bigger, bolder schemes that would stand out on an international scale. It is almost as if Perth shy's away from fame and real recognition as too being undeserving.

Second week sense opening and the area was heaving last night. Well worth attending before the laser show concludes after next weekend. What is nice is that it is easy to just enjoy what is happening around without the need to spend money. There are plenty of places to perch, and enjoy an unusual amount of activity on the ground level in Perth.

Together with the Festival of Perth happening at the same time, Perth has a 'city' ambiance about it at long last. Great time to head for town. Although prices still over the top in a lot of eating houses.

Neglected to mention before returning to The Quay to look at the laser show, there was a free opera in the open not far away, put on by The West Australian Opera Co, a great performance of Gianni Schicchi. Performed in Italian, with subtitles. Very well performed. Not a Bogan in sight. Apart from a single word of abuse from a passing car, questioning the sexual orientation of those present.

Unimpressed overall. Still essentially a building site which detracts from ambience. No shade. Empty plots and cafes. The bridge is fairly spectacular though and the new ferry terminal looks great. BHP Water playground closed for 'maintenance?' Great timing on hottest day of year. Kids playground unfinished? Not good enough. Should have waited a few more months and had the whole thing looking more polished.

Will be a great place to take visitors though and can see the potential. Stunning views and such a gorgeous part of Perth.

Unimpressed overall. Still essentially a building site which detracts from ambience. No shade. Empty plots and cafes. The bridge is fairly spectacular though and the new ferry terminal looks great. BHP Water playground closed for 'maintenance?' Great timing on hottest day of year. Kids playground unfinished? Not good enough. Should have waited a few more months and had the whole thing looking more polished.

Will be a great place to take visitors though and can see the potential. Stunning views and such a gorgeous part of Perth.

It has added to the dimension of Perth. I enjoyed yesterday after dark. Very crowded, colourful and a mini United Nations of races and nationalities.

I have my doubts just how long before it gains substance in building completions. I see a burger bar is marked for construction, (very imaginative) and hope it becomes a place of diverse options.

Would be a great place for a 50m outdoor swimming pool. They have some brilliant ones in easy reach of Sydney CBD. Nearest one to perth is Beatty Park. Think they missed an opportunity to have something that would have been well used and been able to charge a bit for it. Instead they have kids paddling pools.

Second week sense opening and the area was heaving last night.

Was there as well. Was impressed, but will be more impressed when there are some bars / restaurants there too. Looked like a Burger joint and an Ice Cream place are the only ones advertising "coming soon", hope there is a bit more in the pipeline!

Not a Bogan in sight.

There were a few on a boat in the middle of the quay for the laser show. Swearing, drinking, loud music, etc.

Disagree. Get it opened, and get people using it ASAP. I'm not sure about the kids stuff myself, would have preferred a bit more adult theme across the board.

I do wonder if stagnant water and algae may become an issue, like in previous years in East Perth. Now there was something of a lost opportunity if ever there was one. I recall the area prior to building, while being built and the end result.

There was already a corner full of green flotsam and jetsam last night.

More "Mandurah Canals"? Maybe an idea for Langley Park? It's not as if it's really used at all ..

Yes I agree with the above. I felt it a shame the best that they could come up with so far is yet another boring burger joint. Hadn't noticed the ice cream parlour. Hopefully some imagination will surface and a bit of diversity comes to fruition.

It reminds me a little of the Cape Town Waterfront, on a much smaller scale, but examples of what they have are a German Beer Cellar/Bar, a great Continental Bakery, a mixture of international cuisine. It must be regulated so not all the same thing. Providing of course there is interest enough to be able to pick and choose.

An out door swimming pool is not a bad idea. As long as it has lanes to cater for all and not just marathon or Olympic style swimmers. Shame about the beach or lack off. But not convinced it would work unless somehow done with filtered water and separated from the river as such. Always those darn Jelly Fish in the river as well.

Time will tell but I'd give it 7 out of 10. Rather higher than most development in Perth. Hopefully the Perth Link will score higher.

Yes I agree with the above. I felt it a shame the best that they could come up with so far is yet another boring burger joint. Hadn't noticed the ice cream parlour. Hopefully some imagination will surface and a bit of diversity comes to fruition.

It reminds me a little of the Cape Town Waterfront, on a much smaller scale, but examples of what they have are a German Beer Cellar/Bar, a great Continental Bakery, a mixture of international cuisine. It must be regulated so not all the same thing. Providing of course there is interest enough to be able to pick and choose.

An out door swimming pool is not a bad idea. As long as it has lanes to cater for all and not just marathon or Olympic style swimmers. Shame about the beach or lack off. But not convinced it would work unless somehow done with filtered water and separated from the river as such. Always those darn Jelly Fish in the river as well.

Time will tell but I'd give it 7 out of 10. Rather higher than most development in Perth. Hopefully the Perth Link will score higher.

Sounds like you want Perth to be Brisbane :wink:

Sounds like you want Perth to be Brisbane :wink:

No but I want to see how they manage a riverside beach, in water that looks no cleaner than Perth. From feedback it would appear over recent years Brisbane has overtaken Perth, or at least increased the distance of blue water between the two.

So perhaps you are correct. Brisbane appears to have been the catalyst for the WA Premier, twenty years ago, in forming the Elizabeth Quay plans. Perhaps we should be more like Brisbane. So much is becoming alike these days anyway.

No but I want to see how they manage a riverside beach, in water that looks no cleaner than Perth.

The "beach" at South Perth seems to do alright.

The one thing I noticed that there were no free BBQs like other areas. I assume this is to stop people taking their own food/drinks.

Perth's newest asset, Elizabeth Quay inlet incised into a 27 hectare part of the Swan River foreshore opens tonight.

As the WA economy slides into deficit, the 440 million playground has become a vision of a bygone era, when a cashed up state government was spending big.

One may wonder if this is Perth finally coming of age, with a development bigger than Melbourne's Federation Square or something of a white elephant that will take decades to arrive at its potential?

Chevron Australia, which purchased its prime lot in 2013, was granted a two year delay in building. Of course the original proposal brought out by the former Labor Government of WA, which some referred to as Dubai on the Swan, was drastically cut back by a incoming Conservative government, too much so for some pundits with some views Perth again thinking too small.

Anyway over the next three weeks celebrations will be held over successive weekends, even though little is completed in actual building structure. (almost nothing, in fact) Time will tell just how this project shapes up to what is on offer in Sydney/ Melbourne/ Brisbane. And if Perth has got it right this time?

Anyhow will be joining the frivolity tonight and possibly think but could have been. I rather liked parts of the 'big town' approach of the previous government.

My parents asked us if we wanted to see it.

I just asked why?

They couldn't answer.

The "beach" at South Perth seems to do alright.

The one thing I noticed that there were no free BBQs like other areas. I assume this is to stop people taking their own food/drinks.

Definitely so. Must check out the beach ay South Perth again. Not a place I get to often. Used to live riverside in Applecross and besides attempting wind surfing barely ever entered the water there.

Definitely so. Must check out the beach ay South Perth again. Not a place I get to often. Used to live riverside in Applecross and besides attempting wind surfing barely ever entered the water there.

Mid-morning or mid-afternoon for a BBQ, or it's a long wait. If you don't enjoy it, it's only a $2.25 ferry trip ;-)

Archived