The Australian Dream Stan Grant's speech

Diane

So sick of people telling me to feel guilty for things the British settlers did 200 years ago.

For God's sake put the can of beer down and move on.

Stop wallowing in self pity.

Inclined to agree with you here. If there are current issues that need addressing then that is one thing but keeping on harking back to grandparents, great grandparents etc is surely helping nobody in my view. I am sure that my forefathers suffered some indignities and inequalities in England and Ireland too but if I continued to dwell on them and justify my failings because of that it would be pretty lame.

So sick of people telling me to feel guilty for things the British settlers did 200 years ago.

............I don't think anyone wants you to feel guilty TBH......

...........no morethan the aboriginal population do the white Australian,,....

...........it's accepting it did happen.....

............and trying to fix what's happening now......

.............the inequalities started back then......it's accepting that fact....

.............because little has changed........and it needs to.....

.............history needs to be history.........not an ongoing dilemma .....that is many aboriginals lot

..............yes we have tried.......but failed.....

..............it doesn't mean we have to stop........

Inclined to agree with you here. If there are current issues that need addressing then that is one thing but keeping on harking back to grandparents, great grandparents etc is surely helping nobody in my view. I am sure that my forefathers suffered some indignities and inequalities in England and Ireland too but if I continued to dwell on them and justify my failings because of that it would be pretty lame.

You should learn a little more about Aboriginal history. Many of the problems faced today come from actions taken not that many years ago.

When more of the consequences, of the result of what happened 230 odd years ago, have diminished to such an extent ,that enable moving on to occur, perhaps it will.

i live & teach in an area with a large aboriginal population. the kids would stand a better chance if their parents sent them to school & took an interest in them. aboriginal people need to start accepting accountability for their own actions & the part that plays with them ending up illiterate or in trouble with the law.

i live & teach in an area with a large aboriginal population. the kids would stand a better chance if their parents sent them to school & took an interest in them. aboriginal people need to start accepting accountability for their own actions & the part that plays with them ending up illiterate or in trouble with the law.

As a teacher, you should then understand that 'Aboriginal' should have an upper case A, not lower case.

Your take on it is incredibly simplistic and quite sad, I really hope that you are not a teacher.

As a teacher, you should then understand that 'Aboriginal' should have an upper case A, not lower case.

Your take on it is incredibly simplistic and quite sad, I really hope that you are not a teacher.

sentences should start with capitals as well but i wasnt aware posts where critiqued. i am a teacher & there is nothing simplistic about my views which are based on what i live with rather than what i read in the media.

sentences should start with capitals as well but i wasnt aware posts where critiqued. i am a teacher & there is nothing simplistic about my views which are based on what i live with rather than what i read in the media.

Then you should have a much deeper awareness and understanding of problems faced within Aboriginal communities and within the education system.

Perhaps you are still new to teaching in Australia, if so, then there is time for you to grow.

.........while much of what you say is sadly true.....

.........it just highlights the fact that the cultures have not meshed.....

.........many of the aboriginal people still clinging to their culture......little changed over the years.....

.........it's been an issue in many walks of life....

.........I posted recently about indigenous student midwifes....

.........and that their return to.....family matters......was an important part of their culture....

.........and the training in midwifery equally so with the high infant mortality rate in indigenous communities....

..........one university addressed the problem by being more flexible with term time....

..........setting up long distant tutoring......

...........and adopting some of the culture accossiated with birth by the indigenous peoples.....

...........it's finding what works.....

...........a compromise on both parties......but when both dig their heels in...

...........communication breaks down......

...........problems occur......

............it will never be perfect in my lifetime.....but I sincerly hope .....it will improve...

............as I said in all works of life.....

This speech focussed on events from decades or centuries past. History cannot be rewritten unfortunately.

And yet the country's national day of celebration commemorates an event which marked the end of Aboriginal culture and civilisation. If that's not institutionalised racism, I don't know what is.

The problems in Aboriginal communities seem to be almost insurmountable. I feel sorry for the children. Some, not all parents have real problems with grog and wife beating is rife as is child sexual abuse. Many of these children resort to sniffing petrol and start drinking alcohol just to escape from the lives they have. Went with my son who's a vet when he travelled to the outback communities to de-sex their dogs. I was shocked to see how filthy the children were in a lot of those places.

Stan Grant's speech was eloquent but failed to address the issue of what in his opinion should be the way forward. Kevin Rudd made a start with his apology and I think the majority of Australian's are sorry for what has happened. An important step would be to include a reference in the constitution that Aboriginal people were the traditional owners of the land. Why this hasn't happened by now I've got no idea.

I know there have been injustices over the past 200 years but in that period world wars have been fought and great atrocities committed and are still being committed in other regions.

It really is time to move on and acknowledge that the majority of ordinary Australians want Aboriginal people to thrive, be proud of their culture, share it and contribute.

It's time for a couple of Aboriginal leaders to stand up and show the way not dwell in the past.

Stan Grant's speech was eloquent but failed to address the issue of what in his opinion should be the way forward. Kevin Rudd made a start with his apology and I think the majority of Australian's are sorry for what has happened. An important step would be to include a reference in the constitution that Aboriginal people were the traditional owners of the land. Why this hasn't happened by now I've got no idea.

I know there have been injustices over the past 200 years but in that period world wars have been fought and great atrocities committed and are still being committed in other regions.

It really is time to move on and acknowledge that the majority of ordinary Australians want Aboriginal people to thrive, be proud of their culture, share it and contribute.

It's time for a couple of Aboriginal leaders to stand up and show the way not dwell in the past.

Most schools now start their assemblies with an acknowledgment of the traditional owners of the land.

It's an important step, especially for those children and families who have migrated here from other countries and who quite often have little or no idea of the history here. It is all too easy to succumb to stereotypes promoted by the media and film industry.

Education is the key, it always has been.

And yet the country's national day of celebration commemorates an event which marked the end of Aboriginal culture and civilisation. If that's not institutionalised racism, I don't know what is.

It actually commemorates the founding of a colony in NSW. It doesn't celebrate the end of Aboriginal culture and civilisation. Clearly you do not know what institutionalised racism actually is then.

It actually commemorates the founding of a colony in NSW. It doesn't celebrate the end of Aboriginal culture and civilisation. Clearly you do not know what institutionalised racism actually is then.

Bleurghhh.

So it should be a public holiday in NSW then. Why perpetuate the insult by extending to a national holiday?

Archived