How to apply for spouse visa UK?

Jemvin

After being in Australia for 6 years and having our first baby I am really missing my family support and I'm wanting to move back to the UK with my fiancé. I know immigration have made it tough now but I am sure we qualify with having enough in savings . But how do we go about applying? What is involved ? What are the application times ?? How long are the visas for ? What do we need to do I have no idea any help atall would be much appreciated . Thank you

After being in Australia for 6 years and having our first baby I am really missing my family support and I'm wanting to move back to the UK with my fiancé. I know immigration have made it tough now but I am sure we qualify with having enough in savings . But how do we go about applying? What is involved ? What are the application times ?? How long are the visas for ? What do we need to do I have no idea any help atall would be much appreciated . Thank you

I thought it was more about earnings, but not something I've dealt with. Worth searching for old threads, as its been discussed before, plus the govt website. Easiest way is for partner to get a european passport if possible.

I'm wanting to move back to the UK with my fiancé. I know immigration have made it tough now but I am sure we qualify with having enough in savings . But how do we go about applying? What is involved ? What are the application times ?? How long are the visas for ? What do we need to do I have no idea any help atall would be much appreciated . Thank you

Applying for a spouse visa is straightforward. Your partner applies online and pays the fee.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-uk-visa

Notice the visa is to "join family in the UK", which is a bit confusing - basically the wording assumes you're already in the UK even though you're not!

He will then have to make an appointment for an interview and take a printed copy of his application, and all his supporting documents INCLUDING Appendix 2 (which a lot of people forget - link below). They will check all his documents and if it's all in order, accept the application. I think they're quoting lead times of 3 months for approval but my oh got his in a few weeks.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/270484/VAF4A-Appendix2.pdf

You say fiance but I assume you mean de facto. He will need to prove that you've been living together for at least 2 years. You must have at least £62,500 that's been held in a bank account for at least 12 months - unless you are relying on the proceeds from selling your house.

The visa goes for 2.5 years initially and then he can apply again to extend his stay, and after that expires he can apply to stay indefinitely.

Thank you, does it matter if our funds are split between 2 different accounts ??

Applying for a spouse visa is straightforward. Your partner applies online and pays the fee.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-uk-visa

Notice the visa is to "join family in the UK", which is a bit confusing - basically the wording assumes you're already in the UK even though you're not!

He will then have to make an appointment for an interview and take a printed copy of his application, and all his supporting documents INCLUDING Appendix 2 (which a lot of people forget - link below). They will check all his documents and if it's all in order, accept the application. I think they're quoting lead times of 3 months for approval but my oh got his in a few weeks.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/270484/VAF4A-Appendix2.pdf

You say fiance but I assume you mean de facto. He will need to prove that you've been living together for at least 2 years. You must have at least £62,500 that's been held in a bank account for at least 12 months - unless you are relying on the proceeds from selling your house.

The visa goes for 2.5 years initially and then he can apply again to extend his stay, and after that expires he can apply to stay indefinitely.

Be aware, too, that as a family, when you arrive, there are benefits that you and your child should be entitled to as citizens, will not be available to your family because they could be seen as providing government support to your DH and his visa will specifically exclude any form of government support. My friend is on the spouse visa and it isn't very comfortable for them (regular reviews of their situation/income too). I'm guessing you've exhausted all other visa possibilities?!

• 2 months later...
Be aware, too, that as a family, when you arrive, there are benefits that you and your child should be entitled to as citizens, will not be available to your family because they could be seen as providing government support to your DH and his visa will specifically exclude any form of government support. My friend is on the spouse visa and it isn't very comfortable for them (regular reviews of their situation/income too). I'm guessing you've exhausted all other visa possibilities?!

Just wondering what other visa possibilities are there? I am British and want to go back-to the UK with my Aussie husband and bubs. There is no way we will be able to afford to save the amount specified to be in the account for however long. Interested to find out whether there is an alternative route? Seems they make it so hard for us to be able to return back home which our families!

Just wondering what other visa possibilities are there? I am British and want to go back-to the UK with my Aussie husband and bubs. There is no way we will be able to afford to save the amount specified to be in the account for however long. Interested to find out whether there is an alternative route? Seems they make it so hard for us to be able to return back home which our families!

Do you own your house and have at least £62,500 in equity? If so, sell your house and put the money in the bank for 12 months while you rent somewhere. That would work.

The only other alternative is to have a job already lined up in the UK, earning at least £18,600 per annum.

Does your partner have a UK born parent or grandparent? Or perhaps a European born parent or grandparent? If no then your only option is the spouse visa which will require the savings amount mentioned it can be from the sale of a house in which case it doesn't have be held for 12 months. Alternatively you would need to have a job already lined up before you go earning at least 18,600 pounds per year plus i think it's an extra 2,000 if you have a child. Not a very fair system to me but it is what it is. Good luck to you.

Edited by Guest

Does your partner have a UK born parent or grandparent? Or perhaps a European born parent or grandparent? If no then your only option is the spouse visa which will require the savings amount mentioned it can be from the sale of a house in which case it doesn't have be held for 12 months. Alternatively you would need to have a job already lined up before you go earning at least 18,600 pounds per year plus i think it's an extra 2,000 if you have a child. Not a very fair system to me but it is what it is. Good luck to you.

His one generation out, his great grandparents were Irish. Looks like the only way will be for me to get a job as we don't have a house to sell or that amount of money. Does seem unfair really. They make it as hard as they can for us! Obviously don't want us back ?

It is a very unfair system for families/ couples. Many like yourself don't have the savings available or property to sell to meet the requirement. Surely a fairer system could be put in place. I understand the reasoning behind it but it does disadvantage a lot of people. Who ultimately can't return to their country of birth.

Been looking at this ourselves,from what I have read the person with the U.K. Passport has to do the applying on the other non passport holders behalf seen as technically they see you the uk citizen as the support for your partner, I would suggest all savings under your name or joint names atleast and needs to be in there for 6 months, or guaranteed job in uk $18k or so. If you search around visas in general a page which is run by a guy called Chris Martin ( I think) has lots of info on it. I will see if I can find it.

lovemybrit.com

Edited by Wa7

It is a very unfair system for families/ couples. Many like yourself don't have the savings available or property to sell to meet the requirement. Surely a fairer system could be put in place. I understand the reasoning behind it but it does disadvantage a lot of people. Who ultimately can't return to their country of birth.

I wonder why people don't just turn up with return tickets and just not use the return. Get a job and then apply?

Been looking at this ourselves,from what I have read the person with the U.K. Passport has to do the applying on the other non passport holders behalf seen as technically they see you the uk citizen as the support for your partner, I would suggest all savings under your name or joint names atleast and needs to be in there for 6 months, or guaranteed job in uk $18k or so. If you search around visas in general a page which is run by a guy

Not quite right, @Wa7

We applied last May. The UK passport-holder does nothing - in fact I wasn't even allowed into the room when he went for his interview. My husband had to make the application, and he submitted evidence of HIS savings (but joint would've been fine). He had to prove he'd held the savings for a full 12 months, not 6 months.

The only place where the UK passport-holder comes in, is if you're relying on a job in the UK to meet the financial requirement. In that case, I believe it's the UK passport-holder who needs to have the job lined up.

I wonder why people don't just turn up with return tickets and just not use the return. Get a job and then apply?

You have to apply for the spouse visa off shore in the country of residence. If border protection got even a sniff of the fact that you planned to settle you'd be sent right back where you came from and a ban would be slapped on you to go along with it.

Edited by Guest

If you are relying on savings they must have been untouched for at least 6 months (or remained above the threshold for that time). The visa process itself is fairly simply - as long as you meet all the criteria it will be issued, although it will take about 3 - 4 months, unless you go for the premium option.

How you meet the occomodation requirement from overseas I have no idea though.

After 2.5 years you go through the whole process again, exactly the same - and all the same costs. This is called further leave to remain.

After 5 years - again, you go through the same rigmarole - but this time for indefiite leave to remain.

After this - if you want to, you can apply for citizenship.

Was wondering if non eu born partner would be allowed to remain in the UK for up to six months at a time and not work. That is if we were to do six months in UK and six months in Australia? Would the non eu born partner still need a spouse visa if they didn't intend to work?

If you are relying on savings they must have been untouched for at least 6 months (or remained above the threshold for that time). The visa process itself is fairly simply - as long as you meet all the criteria it will be issued, although it will take about 3 - 4 months, unless you go for the premium option.

How you meet the accomodation requirement from overseas I have no idea though.

We were told the savings had to remain above the threshold for a whole 12 months, unless they were the proceeds of a house sale (in which case they only needed to be in the bank for a matter of days before you submitted the application).

The accommodation requirement - all you need is an address in the UK. We gave my sister's address, even though we had no intention of staying with her. The only thing they're worried about with accommodation is that you have somewhere to go, where you won't be overcrowded. I warned my sister in case someone came to check they had a spare room - no one did!

We were told the savings had to remain above the threshold for a whole 12 months, unless they were the proceeds of a house sale (in which case they only needed to be in the bank for a matter of days before you submitted the application).

The accommodation requirement - all you need is an address in the UK. We gave my sister's address, even though we had no intention of staying with her. The only thing they're worried about with accommodation is that you have somewhere to go, where you won't be overcrowded. I warned my sister in case someone came to check they had a spare room - no one did!

Marisawright did you provide any documents along with your sisters address? A letter from her saying you could live there? Council bill, deeds? I'm curious as the accommodation requirement is actually quite hard for us to meet with none of our family over there having the required number of rooms to spare. All of those documents have been mentioned to me as being required. Just curious what you provided.