6 months back.....

thinker78

Iam afraid once you get the sense to go ,there is no stopping it .

If its parents getting older its fully understandable.

I should know,I have been doing it for years .

Is it easy ...NO ...

For me,is it is ,and was it the right decision ...YES...but its hard sometimes.

The pluses outweigh the minuses though.

Weather is improving ,Europe on the doorstep ,bloody fantastic !

Ease of travel,sense of belonging and most of all knowing you are doing the right thing .

Do I miss oz ...absolutely ,but not quite enough

In addition ,besides all the excitement when you arrive back .

In my case ,it was like someone approached me at Birmingham airport and said " there you go mate ,put this bag of rocks on your back "

" what are them for "

" they are called RESPONSIBILITY ,and you will be carrying them until I tell you otherwise ".

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think belonging can be the result of acceptance. Hence a new life may be formed anywhere on the planet given the right ingredients. We need not be bogged down by places of birth or places lived before. Such a place if found can entice a new way of looking at life.

Goes with the adage about holidays, its not where you go, but who you go with. You can build most things with the right resources, starting with a job, place to live, partner, amenities that you desire.

In addition ,besides all the excitement when you arrive back .

In my case ,it was like someone approached me at Birmingham airport and said " there you go mate ,put this bag of rocks on your back "

" what are them for "

" they are called RESPONSIBILITY ,and you will be carrying them until I tell you otherwise ".

Oh yes! And that responsibility, I tell ya, can break your back! I'm having a short break from responsibility at the moment and oh I wish it would go on and on but I know it can't. It's really wearing after a while!

Goes with the adage about holidays, its not where you go, but who you go with. You can build most things with the right resources, starting with a job, place to live, partner, amenities that you desire.

Sometimes it is just being in the right place, regardless of the seemingly alienation on first sight. While on the other hand a place possessing apparent cultural norms can be the hardest. Truly bizarre.

Its a strange thing,the sense of 'home'. I feel it here in Melbourne but , having just visited Sydney, I just know I couldn't ever regard that as 'home'. Sometimes it is hard to pin down reasons for this, isn't it? Same when I last went back to the UK- loved the history stuff and the old ancient feeling of the land but couldn't wait to get back to the warmth and relaxation of Australia. Felt close to tears when we touched down on my home soil after that awful long journey from Heathrow. Loved hearing all the familiar accents in Melbourne instead of all the motley languages and accents surrounding us in London.

Its a strange thing,the sense of 'home'. I feel it here in Melbourne but , having just visited Sydney, I just know I couldn't ever regard that as 'home'. Sometimes it is hard to pin down reasons for this, isn't it? Same when I last went back to the UK- loved the history stuff and the old ancient feeling of the land but couldn't wait to get back to the warmth and relaxation of Australia. Felt close to tears when we touched down on my home soil after that awful long journey from Heathrow. Loved hearing all the familiar accents in Melbourne instead of all the motley languages and accents surrounding us in London.

Exactly how I felt. Enjoyed the trip for the most part but couldn't wait to get 'home' to Perth.

Probably that's the one thing I miss. The languages and accents of London. The real feeling of being part of the world.

It is odd. We've just had some young Australians staying with us and one of them was saying how much she felt at home here. She loves ancient history and castles etc and is studying ancient history at uni. We took her to Hadrian's Wall and several castles. She loved every minute of it and has hundreds of photos to take home with her. It was freezing cold and grey pretty much the whole time the girls were here, but for this girl, none of that mattered - she said that being here was like putting on a old pair of slippers and she hates the heat anyway. She was home.

I've been up here for nearly five years now, and although it's beautiful, it'll never be home. I just don't belong here.

This girl had been thinking of moving to London to teach after her degree, but she's changed her mind and is actively looking at ways to be here instead (she was delighted to hear that having British grandparents might make it easier for her). It's strange because the only reason she came here is because the other two girls are my daughters' friends from Sydney. She'd have missed it if it hadn't been for them.

It is odd. We've just had some young Australians staying with us and one of them was saying how much she felt at home here..... she said that being here was like putting on a old pair of slippers.

Yes it is odd. Once upon a time I'd have been sceptical about such statements, but I remember feeling exactly the same way when I arrived in Sydney - I had never been in Australia in my life and yet I felt, instantly, that I'd arrived home and that I belonged. I went back to the UK every two years but only to see my family - I had no desire to see the UK ever again.

Fast forward 30-odd years and we decided to leave Australia for several, completely logical reasons. Before going to Oz I had always been a gypsy and assumed that I could settle down anywhere - how wrong I was! We are still debating where our future lies because I have to consider my oh as well as myself - if we decide to stay in the UK then I could probably manage to put up with life here and get by, but England will never, ever feel like "home" to me.

Edited by Marisawright

Yes it is odd. Once upon a time I'd have been sceptical about such statements, but I remember feeling exactly the same way when I arrived in Sydney - I had never been in Australia in my life and yet I felt, instantly, that I'd arrived home and that I belonged. I went back to the UK every two years but only to see my family - I had no desire to see the UK ever again.

Fast forward 30-odd years and we decided to leave Australia for several, completely logical reasons. Before going to Oz I had always been a gypsy and assumed that I could settle down anywhere - how wrong I was! We are still debating where our future lies because I have to consider my oh as well as myself - if we decide to stay in the UK then I could probably manage to put up with life here and get by, but England will never, ever feel like "home" to me.

I felt exactly the same when we landed in Perth and Sydney. At home and comfortable straight away. I'm having to think very carefully about our next move because, if we go back to Aus, it's likely to be Melbourne and I don't get that same feeling when I go there. If we go there, it'll be a head rather than a heart move.

I know I don't want to stay in Northumberland either, despite it's advantages of beautiful surroundings, easy living, lovely people, uncrowded towns etc, but there are places in the UK which I do feel are 'home'.

There is no logic to the way we feel at all!

...nice try

Probably that's the one thing I miss. The languages and accents of London. The real feeling of being part of the world.

Inner city London is a shithole ...but the city of London ,the touristy bit ,is one of the ,if not the greatest city in the world .

Its where things happen .

London means something ,it matters .

Because of London ,Britain still has a place at the top table .

You could spend 6 months there ,and still not see it all .

It has some serious depth and history .

Still punching above our weight as usual

Inner city London is a shithole ...but the city of London ,the touristy bit ,is one of the ,if not the greatest city in the world .

Its where things happen .

London means something ,it matters .

Because of London ,Britain still has a place at the top table .

You could spend 6 months there ,and still not see it all .

It has some serious depth and history .

Still punching above our weight as usual

The first time I saw Sydney harbour I was extremely impressed ...stunning

Equally being driven through London on an open top bus on a summers evening ....big ben ....st Paul's ...harrods ....all the people drinking outside the pubs .

People relaxing in the parks .

London is so much better than it used to be ...and iam going there for £12 return in a couple of weeks ,by train .

I would miss that ability to travel to London ,above all others ,if I moved away

Equally being driven through London on an open top bus on a summers evening ....big ben ....st Paul's ...harrods ....all the people drinking outside the pubs .

London is so much better than it used to be ...and iam going there for £12 return in a couple of weeks ,by train .

I would miss that ability to travel to London ,above all others ,if I moved away

I used to commute to london 3 days a week (from the countryside outside of cambridge, such a contrast!) and the moment I got off the tube at liverpool st it was head down, ipod on and get from a to b as soon as possible.......oh how i would love to do it now, I would look up, take in the buildings, the history, its diverseness and listen to the accents. One thing living here has taught me is a new found appreciation of 'home' and what it offers...all the things I considered as the norm and boring. Moving here hasn't been a waste of time even if thats all I take back!

I used to do the same, the thing is you appreciate these thing's much more as a tourist. If you see tower bridge, Sydney harbour every day it becomes just part of the daily grind to work. Could never do that commute again now I can be from office desk to couch at home in 5 mins flat in Brissie. Will enjoy London as a tourist every now and again.

I used to do the same, the thing is you appreciate these thing's much more as a tourist. If you see tower bridge, Sydney harbour every day it becomes just part of the daily grind to work. Could never do that commute again now I can be from office desk to couch at home in 5 mins flat in Brissie. Will enjoy London as a tourist every now and again.

.........how very true......

.........was only discussing this today......

.........of how little we saw of the area we lived in.....

.........too busy at work......

.........days off doing the things no time for in the week.....

.........and holidays often taken as far from home as as we could afford......

.........the best time to appreciate anywhere fully is when your on holiday ime......

.........otherwise it just becomes part of the everyday scenery.......seen but often not truely appreciated.....

I think immigrating for a time and travelling is a good way to connect with yourself. It makes you strip down your life and get a feel for what you really can't live without. Whilst it stops you taking things for granted, at the same time I think it helps you learn to live without the things you can't have.

I think these days that there are so many things that humans want available to them... Some places appear to offer "more", though usually they just offer something "else".

Ive learnt the difference/importance between the "nice to haves" and the "must haves".

For us, Australia offers the first and UK the second.

Ive also learnt and accepted that no where is perfect, i cant make it perfect and we cant have everything. Its a case of prioritising the things we can have in either places and chose from there.

I think we differ on it being better than it used to be. Hard to believe but it was once a chilled out, world leader in street and youth fashion. Lots of want to be and up and coming artists, musicians, and the like could live with relative ease, if far from grand, in inner suburbs which had real soul. Something no where near as evident these days, (I take my 2012 experience, when went back there to live the spring/summer)

Areas like Notting Hill/ Bayswater/ Fulham/ Kensington / changed considerably over the years.

Of course London will always have something special and those seeing it through new eyes for the first time (say over past decade or so)will likely have another impression.

Those of us that had decent living conditions, at a reasonable price ,in the heart of one of the most happening cities pre Big Bang and early years after will likely always suffer with nostalgia for the times that were.

Another attraction for me with regards to London, was how much people made use of the beautiful London parks. Holland Park was my all time favourite. Small, intimate, so much happening both culturally and people wise. Great meeting place.

I don't find the parks in WA at least, outside of a section of Kings Park, to be utilised. Parks near me tend to be dog walkers or joggers.

I think we differ on it being better than it used to be. Hard to believe but it was once a chilled out, world leader in street and youth fashion. Lots of want to be and up and coming artists, musicians, and the like could live with relative ease, if far from grand, in inner suburbs which had real soul. Something no where near as evident these days, (I take my 2012 experience, when went back there to live the spring/summer)

Areas like Notting Hill/ Bayswater/ Fulham/ Kensington / changed considerably over the years.

Of course London will always have something special and those seeing it through new eyes for the first time (say over past decade or so)will likely have another impression.

Those of us that had decent living conditions, at a reasonable price ,in the heart of one of the most happening cities pre Big Bang and early years after will likely always suffer with nostalgia for the times that were.

This seems to me a good example of how some money is good but too much is not good. Ironically money has destroyed a lot of artistic hubs over the years. It seems an anathema to where new art thrives. Money seems to be good for established art - but by turns - can make art stale and conformist as markets limit its evolution to certain degrees.

This seems to me a good example of how some money is good but too much is not good. Ironically money has destroyed a lot of artistic hubs over the years. It seems an anathema to where new art thrives. Money seems to be good for established art - but by turns - can make art stale and conformist as markets limit its evolution to certain degrees.

Not forgetting it blocks out newcomers by pricing them out. I dare say many of out icons would never have got of the ground, let alone making it big if starting out in more recent times.

I used to commute to london 3 days a week (from the countryside outside of cambridge, such a contrast!) and the moment I got off the tube at liverpool st it was head down, ipod on and get from a to b as soon as possible.......oh how i would love to do it now, I would look up, take in the buildings, the history, its diverseness and listen to the accents. One thing living here has taught me is a new found appreciation of 'home' and what it offers...all the things I considered as the norm and boring. Moving here hasn't been a waste of time even if thats all I take back!

Oh if you could see the things I see .

Iam never really under time pressure .

I have just gone from alcester ,Warwickshire to water Orton Warwickshire ....non motorway ....take it in .

There is so much stuff here we miss or take for granted .

For example tolkein wrote lord of the rings not 5 miles from my house .

Middle earth is based on a place called " Moseley bog " ,that's where he got the inspiration .

I know his house etc ..

Are there any signs up ..no

Have we gone all disneyesque ..no

New Zealand have sort of claimed it ,due to the filming being carried out there .

Getting back to London ,what did Dr Johnson say ?

" when you are tired of London,you are tired of life "

I cant wait for the spring and summer .

I just love being there

Not forgetting it blocks out newcomers by pricing them out. I dare say many of out icons would never have got of the ground, let alone making it big if starting out in more recent times.

Maybe that's why artists use the only platform available to them... the internet? Which in itself seems remote, totally over-crowded and commercial.

Oh if you could see the things I see .

Iam never really under time pressure .

I have just gone from alcester ,Warwickshire to water Orton Warwickshire ....non motorway ....take it in .

There is so much stuff here we miss or take for granted .

For example tolkein wrote lord of the rings not 5 miles from my house .

Middle earth is based on a place called " Moseley bog " ,that's where he got the inspiration .

I know his house etc ..

Are there any signs up ..no

Have we gone all disneyesque ..no

New Zealand have sort of claimed it ,due to the filming being carried out there .

Getting back to London ,what did Dr Johnson say ?

" when you are tired of London,you are tired of life "

I cant wait for the spring and summer .

I just love being there

Try not to get too bogged down in middle earth.