Australia ranked 2nd best country in the world to live

Cerberus1

This week, the UN released its annual 'Human Development Report'.

Australia has been ranked as the second-best country (out of the 188 assessed) for its quality of life by the report which assesses economic, education and life-expectancy data

The top 20 ranked countries are below:

hdi2015.jpg

The info-graphic below compares Australia (2nd) and the UK (14th)

tree1.png

Key

tree2.png

Source: http://hdr.undp.org/en/2015-report

Who's benefit are these kind of lists for?

Are potential immigrants to Australia suddenly going to change their mind and start taking Norweigian lessons?

They are nothing to do with prospective migrants. They are produced by the United Nations to track developments in the welfare of the world's citizens across a whole range of criteria. They are for the benefit of individual countries and various agencies dealing with all the problems of humanity.

They are nothing to do with prospective migrants. They are produced by the United Nations to track developments in the welfare of the world's citizens across a whole range of criteria. They are for the benefit of individual countries and various agencies dealing with all the problems of humanity.

I agree, but perhaps my original comment was a bit too subtle.

These type of rankings make absolutely zero difference to anyone. Except, perhaps, for groups of Pollies somewhere who will give each other a back slap and try to get some political gain from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These type of rankings make absolutely zero difference to anyone.

The important aspects which will make a difference to some people is the detail in the reports themselves - particularly for government policy makers and NGO's in developing countries aiming to improve the welfare of their citizens.

As for the rankings, I'm sure the OP thought they might be of general interest...but, knowing PIO, guaranteed to stir the possum. Maybe that was his cunning plan? :unsure:

Well, anyway...it interested me to see that the top 3 countries were the same as the top 3 in a Retirement Welfare Index recently produced by a completely different organisation. Not that I'm going to move to Switzerland or Norway to spend my retirement. But maybe I'm just interested in strange things. :rolleyes:

:SLEEP: Not this again......and the point is?

While I'm here, a more telling observation is that 6 out of the top 7 ......of this particular nonsense report...... are European countries (or) 11 out of the top 20.....but does anyone care?? Only to the people who are not happy where they are.