Options if 175 visa runs out?

SurfinOz

Hi there - we're getting ready for the big move over but am getting a bit concerned now as time is running out. We haven't been able to move over for a variety of reasons, but we are almost ready now - with just the sale of the house to go. And unfortunately renting isn't a consideration.

My question is - are there any options for getting a short extension on the 5 years, if the house doesn't sell in time?

We have to be over by the first week of May - so I need to give my notice to work in March. Realistically, I would need the sale of the house to be completed to hand my notice in. Unless the house sells in the next month, it could be pushing it a bit.

Has anyone got any help / advice to offer? Or maybe someone has a similar experience?

Thanks in advance.

As far as I'm aware, there are no options to get a short extension. Unfortunately, I hate to say this without sounding rude, they have given you five years to move, which in their view should be more than enough time.

Have you contacted DIAC or even a MARA registered agent to ask the question?

Good luck and I hope it all works out for you!

Cheers Alant.

The flights were booked shortly after the visas came through. Unfortunately sometimes life doesn't run to plan - and now we are where we are.

If anyone has got a similar experience to this, it would be good to hear.

Hi there - we're getting ready for the big move over but am getting a bit concerned now as time is running out. We haven't been able to move over for a variety of reasons, but we are almost ready now - with just the sale of the house to go. And unfortunately renting isn't a consideration.

My question is - are there any options for getting a short extension on the 5 years, if the house doesn't sell in time?

We have to be over by the first week of May - so I need to give my notice to work in March. Realistically, I would need the sale of the house to be completed to hand my notice in. Unless the house sells in the next month, it could be pushing it a bit.

Has anyone got any help / advice to offer? Or maybe someone has a similar experience?

Thanks in advance.

Do you mean you need to validate before that period runs out, or that you have had the visas for 5 years, validated already, and now need to move?

Do you mean you need to validate before that period runs out, or that you have had the visas for 5 years, validated already, and now need to move?

We validated a a few months after getting the visa. We were all booked to go in mid-2012 but had to cancel the flights and put plans on hold.

So the 5 years since the visa was first issued is due to run out next year.

We may be okay with the house sale, but it would be good to know if there's any chance of extending by a few months - just in case.

You could try for a Resident Return Visa, but unless you've already established substantial ties to Australia (home, job, family there, etc.) it's likely to be refused. If you're committed to going, you may need to consider a stepped approach - perhaps one of you moves over to get settled in and find a job while the other remains behind to finish the home sale. Having one of you already in Australia would likely be enough to be an established tie to Australia to get the RRV for the one still outside Australia. It's obviously not as financially appealing an option, but it would be the safest approach.

Take a career break, rent out the house and you could be there next week - although this is entering the dead period for getting jobs. Aim for just after Christmas. I doubt you are going to get an extension, you've had 5 years to make the move. If you want it badly enough just do it.

Do you need to sell the house to fund the move? You said no to renting I think but you don't have to be in the UK to sell. You can prepare the house and instruct an agent and a solicitor then fly to OZ. we have sold houses before without actually being in the country, even bought one. It helps if you have someone to keep an eye on things, and you need to inform insurance companies etc.

Not ideal but ......

I agree, why do you have to be in the country to complete the sale?

If you're thinking that you need the money from the house sale to buy in Australia - personally, I think buying the minute you arrive is a bad idea. I've seen several people regret buying hastily, before they really knew the areas in their new city. Much better to take a rental for six months and do your research properly, then you're far more likely to find your forever home.

Archived