View from an Australian in WA

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure you can find anyone from any city to agree with you if you ask enough people.

Think people are a bit touchy after the GFC. A slowdown doesn't mean a crippling recession like Europe is still recovering from.

I joined this forum 7 years ago and I have literally been hearing it all that time. It may be happening I don't know but I do know that if I'd have listened I'd have pretty much missed out on pretty much the best 5 years of my life.

I think I joined at about the same time and I don't agree - maybe it was selective hearing (reading?) but it seemed like the land of milk and honey back in 2008, and even for the 5 years we were there whilst there was talk of slowdown I didn't really see it.

Since being back there has been a fair bit on here that has made me wonder what it is really like now and whether it is as bad as some people make out. I was surprised my friend indicated it was and it's not personal she has a well paid job and they have a very modest 2-bed house, children go to the local state school so they aren't personally struggling.

I take your point on missing the best 5 years of your life and everyone has to make the best decision for them, there is always going to be financial risk in a move like that - it depends how much you have to lose and whether you are prepared to lose it.

I think I joined at about the same time and I don't agree - maybe it was selective hearing (reading?) but it seemed like the land of milk and honey back in 2008, and even for the 5 years we were there whilst there was talk of slowdown I didn't really see it.

Since being back there has been a fair bit on here that has made me wonder what it is really like now and whether it is as bad as some people make out. I was surprised my friend indicated it was and it's not personal she has a well paid job and they have a very modest 2-bed house, children go to the local state school so they aren't personally struggling.

I take your point on missing the best 5 years of your life and everyone has to make the best decision for them, there is always going to be financial risk in a move like that - it depends how much you have to lose and whether you are prepared to lose it.

That just shows you. I was so worried I asked many on here and they kept me going. The doom and gloom were already there and I pm'd a number on here to ask their advice. We were the mentalist who came over with just 10 grand and were told we'd starve and were silly etc etc etc.

I agree with QSS in that this move has been very positive for us, equally, I'm not a massive risk taker in some respects and even back in 2007, i'm not sure that I would have come over without one of us having secured a job (we were lucky and both had jobs to come to when we arrived).

We haven't struggled during the 8 years, we live relatively modestly and are able to save for our holidays ... not only in Perth but in other parts of Aus I think that people can overstretch themselves initially, my brother (QLD) told me about people they knew who were 'struggling' but had bought about $60,000 worth of cars when they first arrived.

I still think that people can give it a go and be happy, each individual will be different in the risk that they're prepared to take. I certainly think that your post is food for thought LR to those considering the move

That just shows you. I was so worried I asked many on here and they kept me going. The doom and gloom were already there and I pm'd a number on here to ask their advice. We were the mentalist who came over with just 10 grand and were told we'd starve and were silly etc etc etc.

Wild horses wouldn't have stopped us moving out but we did both have jobs to go to and £70k equity to bring with us from selling our house so our mindset was probably different.

So would you still recommend someone in your circumstances doing that now? Do you think it really hasn't got worse in that time?

Wild horses wouldn't have stopped us moving out but we did both have jobs to go to and £70k equity to bring with us from selling our house so our mindset was probably different.

So would you still recommend someone in your circumstances doing that now? Do you think it really hasn't got worse in that time?

I would absolutely say do your research. Look into which extra licences you will need etc etc. OH had two job offers to come to and many other opportunities too. So do your research.

I would absolutely say do your research. Look into which extra licences you will need etc etc. OH had two job offers to come to and many other opportunities too. So do your research.

I think that's an important difference - even if you're hearing negative things, if you've got job offers to come to, you'll probably be fine. Moving countries with no job in prospect is a much scarier prospect no matter when you do it, unless you've got a good financial buffer.

I don't think most people move for financial reasons though. More for lifestyle reasons (perceived or otherwise)

Absolutely, my salary was less in $$ than it was in £ when we moved out and it certainly didn't stop us. I do think the people that are happiest though are those in public sector jobs like teaching or nursing or construction jobs which do seem to pay more in Australia (just my perception based on browsing here)

No-one can live on thin air though and it would be awful to move out, spend every thing you have and have to move back to the UK because you haven't found work. better perhaps to only move out with a job offer or to delay until the economy rebounds, as it always seems to.

Absolutely, my salary was less in $$ than it was in £ when we moved out and it certainly didn't stop us. I do think the people that are happiest though are those in public sector jobs like teaching or nursing or construction jobs which do seem to pay more in Australia (just my perception based on browsing here)

No-one can live on thin air though and it would be awful to move out, spend every thing you have and have to move back to the UK because you haven't found work. better perhaps to only move out with a job offer or to delay until the economy rebounds, as it always seems to.

Both hubby and I took a step back both financially and career wise to get our foot in the door and earning a wage, I think we were realistic in that we just wanted to make a start .. hubby was prepared to do anything basically to start earning the $

I think that's an important difference - even if you're hearing negative things, if you've got job offers to come to, you'll probably be fine. Moving countries with no job in prospect is a much scarier prospect no matter when you do it, unless you've got a good financial buffer.

I can't imagine how anyone would move to the other side of the world with no job to come to. OH and I did it 34 years ago but things were a lot different then and we both found jobs a few day after arriving. I was still jet lagged when I went for my job interview :laugh: but I got the job.

I can't imagine how anyone would move to the other side of the world with no job to come to. OH and I did it 34 years ago but things were a lot different then and we both found jobs a few day after arriving. I was still jet lagged when I went for my job interview :laugh: but I got the job.

We were the same, but we were a young couple with no kids, so it was much less of a risk than for a family. Plus Australia was the land of opportunity then - I applied for three jobs and got all three!

We were the same, but we were a young couple with no kids, so it was much less of a risk than for a family. Plus Australia was the land of opportunity then - I applied for three jobs and got all three!

I didn't really like the first job I had so applied for another office job I saw advertised in the Saturday Sydney Morning Herald - had the interview on the Tuesday - got the job - handed in my notice at the first job and started the next one 2 weeks later. We didn't have kids then either so as you say it was so much easier. Great social life too.

A friend from Fremantle is in Scotland at the moment for a Study Tour so we met up in Glasgow yesterday for lunch. I asked after her husband and she said he wasn't getting much work, that lead me to ask about the economy in general and to ask if what I had read on here was true.

Her view is that Perth is going into depression and it would not be a good time for someone to move out. To put it in context she is a teacher, her husband a consultant in the mining industry - the problem she said is there is just no exploration and that is the phase he works at.

In fact she said it feels like it's time for a change and they are thinking of moving to the UK! This is a couple with two children all born and bred in Australia - both her and her husband have a British passport by ancestry though which would enable to move to the UK if they really wanted to.

Bizarrely I found myself defending Perth and explaining why life in the UK really wasn't any different!!

If you could pick and choose the optimum time to move from Britain to Australia in a matter of days I could maybe understand their point, but like buying a home and investing in the stock market, it's very difficult to do that. What if China suddenly decides to start importing Australian resources again at previous levels? What if there is a sudden "mega" discovery of gold, or something else in the Pilbara, or wherever it is they do the mining? You say, 'Oh great, let's to apply to emigrate to Australia now' and by the time everything has gone through, there's another recession.

I was just thinking, about a month ago, the US stock market crashed on a Friday, and we were (supposedly) in tenterhooks over the weekend waiting for the inevitable crash in OZ, which it did, on the Monday, and a couple of days later, the market had regained its position. I did not bother looking at the prices for my stocks, or frantically ringing my broker with instructions to 'Sell, Sell, SELL!'

One of my things was to have a 'comparable life style' to what we had

When we emigrated in 2010, I'd spent much of the previous 2 years or so plugged into a phone system taking calls and advising on redundancy and redundancy handling, it was a dark time and maybe for some that made Australia more attractive but in our case that wasn't it. I wasn't going to ever get a like for like job, I couldn't work for the Civil Service and my work history , having previously worked for a Trade Union and the current job were not an attractive proposition to most employers. OH's skill was still in demand within the UK so there were no real reasons to go for it but we did. But what we did do is research research and more research. Those job offers didn't come out of thin are they were the result of countless hours by me hunched over the PC looking at google maps ,calling up all employers in the right field in that area and bombarding them with emails and my OH's CV. By doing that we knew that many employers were very interested and his skill was indeed in demand. I genuinely believe a lot do not do enough research and are caught out on arrival.

I joined this forum 7 years ago and I have literally been hearing it all that time. It may be happening I don't know but I do know that if I'd have listened I'd have pretty much missed out on pretty much the best 5 years of my life.

I suppose cheap money may be behind that. Remind me didn't you recently state your house was down $20,000 from purchase price?

Could be good for Brits. Better exchange rate, cheaper houses. Especially as not everyone works in mining with all the nurses etc on here.

Probably buy in suburbs they could never afford 2 years ago. If bringing some equity from house in UK

That's rather rude, understanding the concept of a depression hardly requires a degree in economics, at least not to understand it to the level the average PIO member needs to.

Gee if I jumped on every psychological term that get given a 'common-sense' meaning on here it would have to be my full-time job. I accept that certain terms are used differently by the general population and professionals and get over it.

In this case though she believes that WA is heading into a sustained period of economic decline which certainly fits a 'google' definition of depression - do you disagree that is a depression or that WA is heading that way?

Remember this is just her opinion but as she has no agenda (unlike most on here) it seemed worth sharing.

It is the considered opinion of many not just your friend. WA is coming off the boil from the largest boom in its history so there must be an impact to the economy. Stats show decline. There are warnings out for those that care to look. Of course the government has the interest to talk the state up.

A few facts.

REIWA has stated a 4.2% vacancy rate in housing for Perth. The Highest of all cities. Levels of supply are at record levels which will create further market decline.

Sales listings of houses increased a massive 46% over 12 months.

Latest released population figures (already half a year old) show migration at 3,384 for that quarter well below previous three preceding quarters where it was 10,201.

Massive inner city construction projects have lightened the load considerably but after 2017 what will replace that?

Could be good for Brits. Better exchange rate, cheaper houses. Especially as not everyone works in mining with all the nurses etc on here.

Probably buy in suburbs they could never afford 2 years ago. If bringing some equity from house in UK

Cheaper house prices would be good but there needs to be the work to go with that. House prices still substantially over priced. Surely people don't come to be leveraged to the hilt with declining prospects?

WA is, at least by one measure, already in recession. That is being seen in jobs data already. Down in Mandurah where I live, the unemployment rate has jumped to over 10%.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-03/gdp-economic-growth-abs-data/6517890

Things a likely to get worse before they get better. The reasons the markets are down overnight is partly due to warnings about commodity prices have some way to fall yet. The other aspect is the likely hood of a rise in US interest rates. When that occurs, we can expect the gold price to plummet. WA has a huge amount of its economy based on gold mining.

Archived