What do you love about being in/or back in the UK.

bristolman

It's amazing just how many little things there are that are so easily overlooked, like the red post boxes and the windy roads, things that you just take for granted.

And of course.............you take for granted that other folks love "windy roads" (no doubt something that you would consider as a lack of development in Oz) and that "red post boxes" are somehow so spectacular as an identification of the UK when surf beaches are not in Oz? Oh Yeah! I recognise the UK because of it's red post boxces but I don't recognise Oz because of it's surf beaches?:wacko:

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seeing as Brecon is SAS training ground. I wouldn't want to be waving a camera around unless in my own back yard

I know the military use the Brecon Beacons but the size of the national park means it isn’t a total no-go area :unsure:. The Visitor Centre is hosting a stargazing evening on 17th Oct and I don’t think they would do that if there was any real chance of the SAS taking a pot shot at a bystander?

And of course.............you take for granted that other folks love "windy roads" (no doubt something that you would consider as a lack of development in Oz) and that "red post boxes" are somehow so spectacular as an identification of the UK when surf beaches are not in Oz? Oh Yeah! I recognise the UK because of it's red post boxces but I don't recognise Oz because of it's surf beaches?:wacko:

Bristolman was quoting my post @johndoe and I included red postboxes based on the cheery colour, and their reference to the monarch of the day, complete with roman numerals. I sort of like windy roads too, the ones that snake through villages and up and downhills, those that mean you are never too sure exactly what you are going to find when you turn the corner?

Tbh It's starting to feel that it's impossible for anyone to post a positive about the UK or Aus without the thread disintegrating into an UK/Aus battle. Liking something in one country doesn't have to mean you have an agenda, does it? :swoon: T x

Bristolman was quoting my post @johndoe and I included red postboxes based on the cheery colour, and their reference to the monarch of the day, complete with roman numerals. I sort of like windy roads too, the ones that snake through villages and up and downhills, those that mean you are never too sure exactly what you are going to find when you turn the corner?

Tbh It's starting to feel that it's impossible for anyone to post a positive about the UK or Aus without the thread disintegrating into an UK/Aus battle. Liking something in one country doesn't have to mean you have an agenda, does it? :swoon: T x

Don't worry about it, just ignore it.

I know the military use the Brecon Beacons but the size of the national park means it isn’t a total no-go area :unsure:. The Visitor Centre is hosting a stargazing evening on 17th Oct and I don’t think they would do that if there was any real chance of the SAS taking a pot shot at a bystander?

We have driven through the Brecon Beacons a couple if times and haven't been shot at yet, you should be right lol

We have a fantastic Sicilian restaurant in town.Actually we have two,both owned by the same family.One's a café,and the other a restaurant.Both excellent.They were featured twice in different tv shows,and the owner is also a master baker so delicious varieties of Italian bread,biscuits and cakes can be brought from the café.The pizza I've had in the restaurant is excellent too.

I have unashamedly copied this from elsewhere before anyone says anything :rolleyes:

So what do you love about being here or being back ?

For me it's

The beautiful countryside.

The wonderful friendly generous people.

Being able to go for a walk in the countryside and not see another soul.

The glorious pubs.

The fact that our children are still children and haven't grown up before their time.

The wonderful variety and quality of food.

The wildlife.

The history and architecture.

The cider :laugh:

Have I mentioned the pubs ?

What do I love ? .....the opportunities its given my kids .....they have seen and done more here than could be achieved elsewhere

I wont look back and say " would have ,could have,should have " in relation to Paris .

Even the youngest has travelled extensively ....4 times to Paris,3 times to Rome and 3 times to Venice to name a few ...3 of the big Disney parks .....london twice a year at least .

They can now leave home with a bucketful of memories.

Me personally ,others have mentioned most of the stuff .....a sense of belonging mainly ....a just a host of choices.....loads of great sporting facilities locally ....everything I could ever need within a mile ...pubs...medical ....schools ....shops

Plus I can be in beautiful countryside in 15 minutes.....

And Britain keeps re inventing itself ....critics keep writing it off ,and it keeps bouncing back....i was in Mansfield Friday ....i thought " here we go ,bit of a dump " ....far from it ...new roads ...re generation ....facilities ....very good I thought .

Being close to Warwickshire and Worcestershire is a pleasure

:hug:

I have unashamedly copied this from elsewhere before anyone says anything :rolleyes:

For me it's

The glorious pubs.

The fact that our children are still children and haven't grown up before their time.

The wildlife.

Steak pudding, chips and mushy peas !!

Guest Guest109139

We moved back just over 2 months ago after 6 years in Perth. We live on the Somerset/Devon border and it is just stunning, absolutely beautiful. The diversity, the different villages and towns, the woods in the Blackdown Hills, the beaches down the south coast, and the pubs here are thriving and full with chatty and happy people everywhere. And Glastonbury!! Just love it with all the New Age shops and the hippy feel to it.

The weather this weekend has been excellent for late September, warm and sunny.

Yesterday we walked from our cottage in our village through the woods and fields to a hamlet where we found hidden by the river, deep in the countryside a tiny chapel dating back to the 12th century, decorated with apples, sunflowers various other vegetables and autumn flowers to celebrate harvest festival. Crossing a rickety bridge we stopped at a meadow where the river becomes a stream and my five year old splashing in the stream with her wellies on. On the way back we picked loads of blackberries to take home to make apple and blackberry crumble, apple picked from our trees in our garden.

Today we went to Sidmouth, lovely seaside town and with beaches ideal for bodyboarding, plenty of people out and about, there were even surfers in the water and people learn how to kayak! The tides were out, leaving the rocks exposed, ideal for kids, loads of children rock pooling including my daughter, so she splashed in the river yesterday and in the sea today, lovely.

Only today I had the chance to reflect and realised that even though I liked living in Australia, we are so very lucky living here, down the south west, and in this moment in time I absolutely love living here. There is plenty to do and see, especially for the children, we are out and about every weekend, discovering new places, new walks, and new scenery.

Guest Guest109139
I see amazing night skies where I live.I start work at 6am,and just lately have been looking skywards at 5am when I get up.I can see al the constellations etc and I don't live in the Brecon Beacons or Exmoor.

Yes the skies! Where we live there is no light pollution, the stars are just amazing.

Guest Guest109139
What do I love ? .....the opportunities its given my kids .....they have seen and done more here than could be achieved elsewhere

I wont look back and say " would have ,could have,should have " in relation to Paris .

Even the youngest has travelled extensively ....4 times to Paris,3 times to Rome and 3 times to Venice to name a few ...3 of the big Disney parks .....london twice a year at least .

They can now leave home with a bucketful of memories.

Me personally ,others have mentioned most of the stuff .....a sense of belonging mainly ....a just a host of choices.....loads of great sporting facilities locally ....everything I could ever need within a mile ...pubs...medical ....schools ....shops

Plus I can be in beautiful countryside in 15 minutes.....

And Britain keeps re inventing itself ....critics keep writing it off ,and it keeps bouncing back....i was in Mansfield Friday ....i thought " here we go ,bit of a dump " ....far from it ...new roads ...re generation ....facilities ....very good I thought .

Being close to Warwickshire and Worcestershire is a pleasure

Couldn't agree with you more. We have only just moved back 2 months ago from Perth, and the choices of things to do and see is just mind blowing. A large sports centre is just 5 minutes away from us, there is every facility that anyone can wish for, swimming, gym, yoga, thai chi classes, various classes for kids etc. Castles and national trust gardens where there is always something going on or planned. We have woods, fields and country walks, the south coast is less than an hours drive away with its stunning beaches and coastal walks, town festivals and carnivals, so many different shops I never even knew they existed, Bristol airport is 50 minutes drive away where I can get on a plane and see my family who live in Eastern Europe within three hours as opposed to 20 hours, the list is endless.

I'm actually so excited about living here at the moment, it's like being a kid in a candy shop :laugh:

For me it's

The glorious pubs.

The wildlife.

You forgot the sense of being home, and belonging

Yesterday we walked from our cottage in our village through the woods and fields to a hamlet where we found hidden by the river, deep in the countryside a tiny chapel dating back to the 12th century, decorated with apples, sunflowers various other vegetables and autumn flowers to celebrate harvest festival. Crossing a rickety bridge we stopped at a meadow where the river becomes a stream and my five year old splashing in the stream with her wellies on. On the way back we picked loads of blackberries to take home to make apple and blackberry crumble, apple picked from our trees in our garden.

This reminds me of the great experiences I had when I was growing up in England. I want to have a child but am hanging out to return to England first as I want my child to also have these experiences too. In regional Australia I totally avoid going into the 'nature' for obvious reasons!

We moved back just over 2 months ago after 6 years in Perth. We live on the Somerset/Devon border and it is just stunning, absolutely beautiful. The diversity, the different villages and towns, the woods in the Blackdown Hills, the beaches down the south coast, and the pubs here are thriving and full with chatty and happy people everywhere. And Glastonbury!! Just love it with all the New Age shops and the hippy feel to it.

The weather this weekend has been excellent for late September, warm and sunny.

Today we went to Sidmouth, lovely seaside town and with beaches ideal for bodyboarding, plenty of people out and about, there were even surfers in the water and people learn how to kayak! The tides were out, leaving the rocks exposed, ideal for kids, loads of children rock pooling including my daughter, so she splashed in the river yesterday and in the sea today, lovely.

Only today I had the chance to reflect and realised that even though I liked living in Australia, we are so very lucky living here, down the south west, and in this moment in time I absolutely love living here. There is plenty to do and see, especially for the children, we are out and about every weekend, discovering new places, new walks, and new scenery.

Its amazing what being away does to re focus the vision ...all those things you just didn't see ,or even took for granted.

Its like having a new pair of glasses

Archived