457 visa and sponsorship - who has done this?!

Hi everyone,

We are a young family desperately trying to get to the Sunshine Coast to join my mum, dad and sisters.

We are looking for some advice on the 457 visa and hoping to hear from people who have gone to oz on it. We have been trying to do my husbands TRA application for the 189 visa for some time now and starting to get despondent with our (pretty useless!) agent that has taken our money and done nothing for us - see my other thread!

We were watching wanted down under the other day and a family were trying to do the same thing as us with the wife as the main applicant on the 189 visa but then the husband found job sponsorship and he left a few weeks later and the rest of the family followed. Its got us thinking off another way in so we have been looking into sponsorship.

We are aware that its really hard to do but has anybody found a job themselves and got sponsorship? Or has anybody used one of these recruitment agencies to do it? They have massive fee's ($47,000!!!!!) but guarantee a job, and if you were to lose it, get you another.

Also how does it work with permanent residency afterwards? As I have read conflicting information.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can advise at all!

The Summers x

I haven't seen your other thread but I will go and look for it in a moment.

Some people do manage to secure a job and 457 sponsorship from overseas, but not many and it does depend on occupation. People that manage to get 457 sponsorship often transfer with their own company or work in medical professions. There are some others that just plod through applications and get lucky.

I have never heard of anyone paying $47,000 and getting a job and sponsorship and it is about th emits alarming thing I have ever read too. Please do not touch it with a barge pole. You cannot buy a job.

Permanent residency afterwards works very much like it does before. The 457 changes very little other than after two years, if the employer is willing to sponsor for a permanent visa, then a skills assessment will not be required.

Hi Bungo, thanks for getting back to me and for your advice.

Do you have any idea on where people search for sponsorship jobs? As any job site we are looking at (trovitt etc) just keeps coming up with these recruitment companies that charge mega bucks. $47,000 was the cheapest one :err:

I know, it alarms me too hence coming on to see if anyone has actually done it, hubby is getting so desperate now he's willing to try anything.

Do you have any idea on where people search for sponsorship jobs? As any job site we are looking at (trovitt etc) just keeps coming up with these recruitment companies that charge mega bucks. $47,000 was the cheapest one :err:

I know, it alarms me too hence coming on to see if anyone has actually done it, hubby is getting so desperate now he's willing to try anything.

I don't honestly believe that searching for a job is s good idea, I just know that occasionally somebody is successful.

If you are going to do it, you need to be using regular job sites, the same ones that Australians would be using, like http://www.seek.com.au.

I would not go near a job site that proclaims it finds jobs for would be migrants, these companies are selling dreams and pray upon people with dreams of migration.

If your occupation is on the SOL, you are far better off pursuing skilled migration, sacking your current agent and working with a decent one.

Do you have any idea on where people search for sponsorship jobs? As any job site we are looking at (trovitt etc) just keeps coming up with these recruitment companies that charge mega bucks. $47,000 was the cheapest one :err:.

There are some very professional-looking sites which offer to find you a job in Australia, and they are scams in spite of how they look. People have lost thousands using these kinds of services - don't touch them.

First, as others have said, getting a sponsor is hard.

The second thing to be aware of is the a 457 is a temporary visa and you would need to treat it as such - assume you would have to return to the UK at the end of it.

Third, a 457 has a lot of strings. The main one being if he were to lose his job for any reason, he would have 90 days to find another willing and able to sponsor (not every company can sponsor) or leave the country.

The partners of 457 holders can find it hard to find work because they are only temporary

Some states charge 457 holders school fees

If you have kids who are of an age for college / uni, they would be regarded as international students and have to pay very large fees with no government help.

My advice would be to speak to a better agent such as Go Matilda

hi just to let you know we're here on a 457 visa, my husband put his cv on the internet when in the uk as he had no work there and we were approached by an agent, they didn't charge us anything (but did go through the migrant agent they said for the visa), think we could have done it ourselves but it was never a dream of ours to come to australia so didn't really know what we were doing, and i think they charged the company (like a normal recruitment agency would). my husbands job is on the skills list so that obviously makes a huge difference, they would have also been willing to sponsor us for PR but we're too old (51), but are happy to sponsor us for another 4 years, i have a permanent job with SA health and they don't seem to be fazed by the temporary nature of the visa, i think all in all we've been lucky, i can only go by our experience but please feel free to ask any questions and i can let you know what happened to us and what i would have done differently.

Debs

It is illegal to charge visa applicants for the costs associated with a 457 visa application, except for the 457 visa application charge, sponsorship and nomination fees must be paid by the sponsor. Reputable companies will often pay all the costs.

It is a breach of the Migration Agents Code of Conduct for a registered migration agent to claim that a particular outcome will be obtained. unregistered migration agents can make any claims that suit them.

May I suggest that you consult a registered migration for an assessment of your visa prospects? Any of the registered migration agents who regularly post on this forum are OK and will not lead you up the garden path.

EMPLOYERS offering to get visas for foreign workers if they pay up could face jail time or fines of up to $340,000 under a federal government crackdown.

THE government has put legislation to parliament to stop employers offering to sponsor 457 skilled worker visas in exchange for a payment from the worker, or exploiting employees by requiring payment in return for ongoing visa sponsorship.

EMPLOYERS offering to get visas for foreign workers if they pay up could face jail time or fines of up to $340,000 under a federal government crackdown.

THE government has put legislation to parliament to stop employers offering to sponsor 457 skilled worker visas in exchange for a payment from the worker, or exploiting employees by requiring payment in return for ongoing visa sponsorship.

About time too.

We came out on a 457 visa with my employer at the very start of 2012. It sounds great getting sponsored but your employer has you pretty much tied to them and if relations break down or your sponsor runs into financial difficulties and has to let you go, you need to find another company willing and capable to sponsor you - not all companies meet the criteria. Although I am still with my existing employer, I felt shackled on a 457 and I wanted to know that if I needed to get out and stay in Australia I could. So that's why I went for the PR visa.

If if you are bringing a family over, you want the certainty of a permanent residency visa to avoid what I have described above. So my advice would be to get a decent agent who is MARA registered who can walk you through the whole process if you feel that you are not in a position to do so yourself. I applied for our 189 visa myself but there are pitfalls and I did A LOT of research....

Sunshine Coast is beautiful but employment is limited and in my opinion even from Caloundra or Bribie Island at the southern end of the Sunshine Coast, it is NOT a good commute to Brisbane where ultimately there are a lot more jobs and opportunities.

Archived