Do people work harder in Australia?

starlight7

I'm not sure it's comparable between countries. I can see people here (in Sydney) who appear to work hard, I can see some who appear to work less hard. The same as I saw in London to be honest... Lots of flexible working makes it harder to know who is at work / or working, and who isn't.

I don't work after my official finishing time that often, but sometimes I do. Sometimes I take my 1hr lunch break and other times I don't. I personally don't see it as particularly clear cut.

Although I am miffed to be on 20 days holiday with a mandatory shut down at Xmas, taking 7 of those days!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure it's comparable between countries. I can see people here (in Sydney) who appear to work hard, I can see some who appear to work less hard. The same as I saw in London to be honest... Lots of flexible working makes it harder to know who is at work / or working, and who isn't.

I don't work after my official finishing time that often, but sometimes I do. Sometimes I take my 1hr lunch break and other times I don't. I personally don't see it as particularly clear cut.

Although I am miffed to be on 20 days holiday with a mandatory shut down at Xmas, taking 7 of those days!

We get that too and it "miffs" me. To be honest though I would probably take the time off anyway as the weather is great at that time of year, everyone's in a good mood, there are other people off to have a good time with. I've been with the same company for 22 years, they let you role over your annual holidays, so I have about 7 weeks to come and the long service keeps accruing, so I've got about 16 weeks of that to come when I want it. In winter I never have much time off. Odd day here and there but every weekend we can have a good time, even in winter. Me and a couple of mates did a mini triathlon yesterday. Swam in the tri suits in hillary's boat harbour for about 1.5Km, road to Burns Beach and back then ran about 10Km after, Great morning. Don't miss having holidays when you can do that on your doorstep.

Don't know what you are doing for a job Endless but how many hours sleep do you need mate to be in bed by 8:30? When I used to get up with my son at 4:30am for his swim sessions 3 times a week we didn't used to go to bed till 9:30. We used to do another board, ski or ironman session at the beach in the evening too. You need to see a doctor mate.

See you still refer to London as home, which is part of your problem with feeling settled.

It's funny, when we lived in the UK I used to stay up to all hours, but since coming to Australia my energy levels have dropped significantly. It could be my job (social worker) as it has me on my feet and dealing with people right through the day, or it could be my age (47), or it might be the anti-depressants that I'm on. I've been taking them pretty much the whole time that I've been here (7 years) and the Doc says they have a reputation for knocking you out. I'm not complaining mind, I love my bed and a solid 10 hours kip each night is great for the old mental health. :smile:

I don't see myself as unsettled in Australia. I never expected to like it here, and I never have! England will always be home. :smile:

It's funny, when we lived in the UK I used to stay up to all hours, but since coming to Australia my energy levels have dropped significantly. It could be my job (social worker) as it has me on my feet and dealing with people right through the day, or it could be my age (47), or it might be the anti-depressants that I'm on. I've been taking them pretty much the whole time that I've been here (7 years) and the Doc says they have a reputation for knocking you out. I'm not complaining mind, I love my bed and a solid 10 hours kip each night is great for the old mental health. :smile:

I don't see myself as unsettled in Australia. I never expected to like it here, and I never have! England will always be home. :smile:

You make it sound awful for you Endless. Don't know how you stand it. I know you have told me about your wife and child ...................................... but still :frown:

I think I and most others were referring to the number of hours spent at work, rather than how hard people work during those hours!

I think that in offices, people definitely work less hard than they used to - mainly because of the distractions of the internet. You only have to walk around an office (which I often did in m old job) to see the number of people with non-work-related sites on their screens.

I think I and most others were referring to the number of hours spent at work, rather than how hard people work during those hours!

I think that in offices, people definitely work less hard than they used to - mainly because of the distractions of the internet. You only have to walk around an office (which I often did in m old job) to see the number of people with non-work-related sites on their screens.

We could only do that on our lunch break.

I have a friend who through an agency got a couple of week's work at the department of education in Sydney. There was hardly any work for her to do. One lunch time she bought a skirt which was a bit too long. She spent most of the afternoon taking up the hem. Just didn't happen where I worked.

You make it sound awful for you Endless. Don't know how you stand it. I know you have told me about your wife and child ...................................... but still :frown:

Oh it's not, thanks for the concern though, it's very kind of you. Despite not liking the place I still enjoy life, so apologies for giving the opposite impression. I'm a lot better off than the poor buggers who came out here hoping that their new life would be better than the one they left behind. I came out here with zero expectations of the place and I haven't been disappointed!

Out of the very few episodes of WDU I watched,one guy who lived in Wales said he was fed up of working 80 hrs per week.No one forces you to work that much,and YOU are the creator of your own reality! I quit my NHS job back in Jan,and I worked Mon-Fri 7am-3pm. I got another job,and I now work 4 days of 12 hr shifts and have 4 days off.I'm not planning on doing this forever,only until Nov-Dec this year and I'm quitting.But it is MY choice to work those hours and shifts.No-one forced me into it.Whatever country you're living in,if you don't like your job for whatever reason,then facilitate a change.

must admit i've always worked longer hours and harder since i've been in australia, an easy week is 50 hours but can often be upto 90, am on salary as well which sucks lol... can't complain really though as i enjoy the work... wouldn't do it otherwise

Thats the normal thing in the farming/horticulture/agriculture sector Paul we too are much the same as you hours depend very much on the time of year. Harvest time and spraying are a particular killer in terms of hours, but as you said we love the work otherwise we wouldn't do it.

It's not your age mate, I'm 61 and don't need anywhere near that much sleep, I can't stay in bed in summer when it gets light, the wife's the same now, we are usually up and looking for something to do. In the UK she always went to bed earlier than me, I would stay up watching any old crap on TV till late, often went to the pub with the FIL till closing time, (used to be 11:00pm then didn't it) call at the chippie on the way home and lay in bad as long as I could at weekends.

Changed a lot when we had kids I'll give you that but there really wasn't that much to get up early for. I played squash, ran and biked a fair bit, nowhere as much as I do here though.

Cold be your meds I guess. How often do you get a blood test.

It's not your age mate, I'm 61 and don't need anywhere near that much sleep, I can't stay in bed in summer when it gets light, the wife's the same now, we are usually up and looking for something to do. In the UK she always went to bed earlier than me, I would stay up watching any old crap on TV till late, often went to the pub with the FIL till closing time, (used to be 11:00pm then didn't it) call at the chippie on the way home and lay in bad as long as I could at weekends.

Changed a lot when we had kids I'll give you that but there really wasn't that much to get up early for. I played squash, ran and biked a fair bit, nowhere as much as I do here though.

Cold be your meds I guess. How often do you get a blood test.

Oh I never bother the doctor unless there's something wrong. I'm overweight and drink like a fish, but I feel completely fine. I used to be really into my fitness and appearance back home, but that's gone by the wayside since I moved to Australia and nowadays I rarely leave the house unless I have to. I still do a bit of fell-walking and hiking when I'm back home though - Lake District, Peak District etc.

Hooley Dooley Winter- you need taking in hand and to get out of the house now. Move away from S Yarra to where nice people live!

But I've got the best sofa, a hand-made Warren Evans bed, and a 40" computer screen that allows me to watch the best tv from all over the world! :wink:

I don't think your anti-depressants are working EW. Perhaps a review at the GP could be a good idea?

I feel really well thanks, probably the best that I've felt in my seven years in Australia. I'm not the man I was pre-emigrating of course, but I cope pretty well nowadays. I'm genuinely sorry that people think that I'm this terrible misery guts, I'm really not....well, not all of the time anyway!:wink:

[/b]

I feel really well thanks, probably the best that I've felt in my seven years in Australia. I'm not the man I was pre-emigrating of course, but I cope pretty well nowadays. I'm genuinely sorry that people think that I'm this terrible misery guts, I'm really not....well, not all of the time anyway!:wink:

Well as long as you're feeling ok! ( I'm coming at this from the perspective of the partner in a similar scenario. My husband feels as you do except he is Aussie and hates it here in the UK and longs for home- so I do understand to some extent)

Well as long as you're feeling ok! ( I'm coming at this from the perspective of the partner in a similar scenario. My husband feels as you do except he is Aussie and hates it here in the UK and longs for home- so I do understand to some extent)

I'm sure you do. The call of home is a powerful thing, and being a homesick Australian in the UK must be a pretty tough gig. Anyway, must get off to bed. I've stayed up way past my bedtime and I'm gonna regret it tomorrow!

Just wondering if this is generally the case- or the opposite? When we came most people here did work longer hours and have less leave but there were the long service leave provisions that made up for it. Is it still the same? At that time we were both in education- husband at a university, me in the TAFE sector.

From what I saw when I was traveling and yes, I was only backpacking, people did appear to work harder in general. I saw people particularly in rural areas slogging their guts out.

I kind of admired the nature of the people I saw. They worked hard, made decent livings and knew how to play hard when they did have some time off. Kind of inspired me to come home and see if I could start to achieve some of the things I'd seen. There's something to be said for having proper protected time off, but at the same time, most successful people you see, didn't get there by sitting around all day.

[/b]

It sounds very much to me as if you're in complete denial. Avoiding leaving the house, not exercising, drinking too much - all symptoms of depression. Your anti-depressants may be stopping you feeling it, but your behaviour is telling! Sounds to me like you've gone into survival mode - by watching TV and going online you're able to escape and forget your captivity but it's still there at the back of your mind.

I work at Perth airport and I start work at 06.30 and finish at 15.00 Monday-Thursday and 6.30 till 12.30 Friday. 38 hour week. Better hours for me than the UK and takes about half hour each way to get there. I get every evening to take the kids down the park/beach and be there for bedtime stories. And weekends off! so I really can't ask for much more. My start time was 7.30 when I first started but the traffic was awful and my employers allowed me to change my hours to avoid the worst of it. The Aussie guys are decent blokes who work just as hard as anyone else.

Archived