Private V Public Schools in Australia

HappyHeart

Yes, I know this has been covered before but interested in current opinion/thinking.

Having put one child through the public system and not been overly happy we are going for private next time. Slowly discovering we should have had our name down about 9 years ago though....

What are the benefits do you think? Is it worthwhile and in terms of wanting a faith based education for your child here in Australia it is essential as all church schools are private......what difference does this make?

I often think you cannot compare UK and here because of that...if you want a Christian education here you are automatically in the private system.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I know this has been covered before but interested in current opinion/thinking.

Having put one child through the public system and not been overly happy we are going for private next time. Slowly discovering we should have had our name down about 9 years ago though....

What are the benefits do you think? Is it worthwhile and in terms of wanting a faith based education for your child here in Australia it is essential as all church schools are private......what difference does this make?

I often think you cannot compare UK and here because of that...if you want a Christian education here you are automatically in the private system.

It very much depends on the child I think Fiona. My eldest hated private and is almost about to complete year 12 in what is considered a substandard public school. She is happy though which is the most important thing to me. My youngest is in private and loves it. It suits her and her personality. I would thoroughly recommend St Mark's if you are considering going private.

It very much depends on the child I think Fiona. My eldest hated private and is almost about to complete year 12 in what is considered a substandard public school. She is happy though which is the most important thing to me. My youngest is in private and loves it. It suits her and her personality. I would thoroughly recommend St Mark's if you are considering going private.

Yes, I thought of you as I posted and like you my youngest is quite different from my eldest. We attended an open evening yesterday and I felt that the school would be a great 'fit' for him...not so much anything to do with academic stuff just the smaller, more nurturing environment...pastoral care...other factors....I don't think the public system will bring out the best of him.

I think we may have had a similar experience as you though with our daughter......moving on now she is back in education but not in the way we had wanted/expected but we have to let them find their 'own way'...I do think a private education will be more suited to our sons specific strengths...

Ours went to a mix of private and public schools depending on their individual personalities/needs. Our grandchildren also go to a mix. My impressions are that academically the private schools do a bit better mainly because of the motivation of the students. I think a good student will succeed in either and there are good teachers in both. However, the private schools will not tolerate poor teachers and they are quickly sent on their way whereas they seem to hang around the state schools. Everyone knows who they are but they don't seem to do anything about them! Some parents have commented that you are buying a peer group with the better private schools and I guess there is some truth in that. In Melbourne it really does seem to matter which school you went to in certain careers - there is an 'old boys/girls network' below the surface, no doubt about it.

I think it depends on your child and also what you as parent expect from the schooling system. Not being religious my OH is very much against religious schools. He also does not like the idea of single sex schools. This leaves us with a selection of about two private schools in the Adelaide area both of which are excellent schools that get excellent acedemic results but both of which start at about $20k a year in fees plus extra stuff. Way out of our price range. Having said that though, most of the religious private schools near here charge in excess of $10k a year in fees as well which we would also struggle with.

We have carefully chosen where to live to be in the zone for one of the better public senior schools (can't afford to be in the zone for the top three public schools though) so at least our kids will still be in a good school. I do think with private schools you are paying as much for a better set of peers and the stuff outside of the classroom - the pastoral care and the out of class activities and things - as you are for a better education.

My two are very different but have both been served very well by our local public school, my son is sporty and also more of a leader which has been encouraged and he is sports captain and was elected to student council. My daughter, quieter and more academic benefited from the academic extension programme. I don't think there's a one size fits all and it's each to their own on what they decide. We've been very lucky, that our school has been able to provide both of my children with what they've needed.

Apologies for jumping on the OP's thread.

Having a newborn due imminently Im interested to hear the pro private school camp mention 'better peers'. Do you mean by this that privately educated kids are more polite, respectful etc and in some ways better to be around? Or is it geared towards the old tie brigade, i.e. this network will set the kid up for life.

Setting aside quality (or lack of) of teachers, sporting facilities etc.. In what way would being around privately educated peers benefit a child versus public?

Something to consider is the model the school employs in order to produce high ranking results....do they support struggling students or do they force them out knowing the student will negatively impact their good results. Pastoral care is important to us and found was lacking in the public system. Was told...we do not have the resources for that.....

Having a newborn due imminently Im interested to hear the pro private school camp mention 'better peers'. Do you mean by this that privately educated kids are more polite, respectful etc and in some ways better to be around? Or is it geared towards the old tie brigade, i.e. this network will set the kid up for life.

Setting aside quality (or lack of) of teachers, sporting facilities etc.. In what way would being around privately educated peers benefit a child versus public?

What I found with my children and now my grandchildren is that more of the children at Private school tend to be more focused on there studies and have more parents who expect there children to achieve high results. Of course there are children (many of them) in state schools who achieve great results and have supportive parents but you do get that element of disruptive students and it is very difficult for public schools to ask these children to leave the school where as with the private schools disruptive students are quickly shown the door.

I would never consider putting our children into religious schools, firstly it goes against our own beliefs and judging by things I have seen they tend to push the religious side too much.

As far as results go there are lots of variables, the individual child, the school, the teachers etc. A clever child will do well anywhere, a less academically minded child might not reach their potential in the public system.

Generally a good private school will have more teachers per student, increased activities in and out of school, more motivation from the teachers etc. That being said, my eldest is in a small state primary school here and this school has been the best thing for her (her last school was a very large private school with excellent results), she is happier then ever and has just come out with well above average grades in NAPLAN. We do plan on her going to a private school for secondary education though, and thats not just about the results, its about the entire experience.

I would never consider putting our children into religious schools, firstly it goes against our own beliefs and judging by things I have seen they tend to push the religious side too much.

As far as results go there are lots of variables, the individual child, the school, the teachers etc. A clever child will do well anywhere, a less academically minded child might not reach their potential in the public system.

Are you in the UK or Aus ?

I have had children in Catholic schools and yes they are very religious (here in Aus) I have friends in C of E schools and not as over the top as Catholic schools but my choice is Lutheran, yes they teach about God but far more from the point of view of social awareness, and caring for others. Not just talking about it but putting words into actions. The school our grand children attend have a roster for the senior students who with teachers help out at the food van which serves food to the homeless. Other Students are involved in visiting a local aged care home where they have been teamed up with a buddy who they visit and chat with on a regular basis. The little ones are taught gardening and the importance of healthy food. Even there home work includes a "service" element like helping lay the table or read a story to a younger sibling. All positive things.

I have had children in Catholic schools and yes they are very religious (here in Aus) I have friends in C of E schools and not as over the top as Catholic schools but my choice is Lutheran, yes they teach about God but far more from the point of view of social awareness, and caring for others. Not just talking about it but putting words into actions. The school our grand children attend have a roster for the senior students who with teachers help out at the food van which serves food to the homeless. Other Students are involved in visiting a local aged care home where they have been teamed up with a buddy who they visit and chat with on a regular basis. The little ones are taught gardening and the importance of healthy food. Even there home work includes a "service" element like helping lay the table or read a story to a younger sibling. All positive things.

I have a strong dislike of all things religious and have seen too many people screwed up by it. Our kids now have a class that teaches them about the principle of religion and life in general, I have no problem with that as it seems to have reinforced their views. I once had someone tell me I can't live a 'righteous' life without religion. It is that kind of intolerance that has turned me so much against religion.

The Baptist movement goes against everything I believe in and I am not particularly religious. There are a few schools I wouldn't entertain not because they are bad schools but because I know the religion aspect would trouble me.

Why the SA comment though? Interested in your views as lots of SA accents at the school we are looking at

PM me if you prefer

Edited by HappyHeart

One of mine went to a Presbyterian school (PLC) and I thought it was very secular considering the Presbyterian beliefs. Another one went to a C of E school and they had no religious activities at all except they had a creepy looking Father as a Chaplain who the kids all avoided. My grandchildren go to a Lutheran school and some to a Christian school- non-denominational but clearly Protestant. Personally if I had my time again I would choose a Baptist school because it seems they are genuine Christians- they walk the walk and talk the talk.

I kind of can't see the point in sending your kids to a Christian school unless you are a Christian? It's pretty clear that teaching will be in a different context and that accepting that or committing to it is necessary. I do see that a lot of Christian schools accept non Christians and don't demand you demonstrate faith.

I have to say I've always wondered about the 'better peers' comments, someone told me (their child was one) that their child would go to public primary and go private for at high school because that would be where they would make their connections in life - i'm not sure what job she has him down for, but my hope was that my children might come out of school making a couple of life long friends like I did.

Not sure about the comment above that attending a private school will set you up for life, i work with and know with quite a few teens / early 20's kids that came from a private school, half of them are clever academically but have no common sense what so ever, 1 or 2 are great and now at uni studying for their careers, 2 are now 19 and looking at returning to uni to repeat Yr 11 and 12 as they didnt do very well at all the first time around.

One of my friends has her kids in a private school and one is very taleneted at sport (National and Olympic material) he was selected to train with the State team but would need to leave school an hour early each day to get there, school have allowed it for 6 weeks but said after that he must give up the sporting side or find a new school. I think thats wrong and kids should be supported at other activities if they are very talented.

Cal x

What snobbery. Great peer groups can be found in public schools. Get real!

I believe the logic is that you'd possibly want your kids to hang out with the kids of parents who can afford to send their kids to a private school, rather than the kids of those that can't. :evilface_frowning_s