cairns kids no shoes??

Lizzie0309

Well I'll be moving to cairns in 3 months with my family from UK allways wanted to do it and nows the time ... really stupid question but talking with a guy from aus that came in to my pub for a meal and stated that's lots kids don't wear shoes around that way ??? Why?? Am I hearing correctly . Lol

Yes, probably to do with the weather, and the kids environment (maybe in and out of the water a lot).

Never mind Cairns; it's quite common in Melbourne to see barefoot people at the supermarket, shopping mall, the local shopping strip, outside in the rain, walking through the city centre etc etc.

Australians have been managing without shoes for 50,000 years. [emoji3]

The furthest I have ventured barefoot is the back garden! Any further than that and I'd be dodging possum droppings and Tawny-Frogmouth crap (it's a huge splatter!)! [emoji3]

My sons used to scamper around the backyard in bare feet then jump on their bikes to ride to the corner shop without shoes. When they visited their Gran in Scotland, they used to run up to the village shop without shoes. The locals use to say "Here come the wee Aussies".

I'm not sure if it still happens, but it used to be very common in primary schools in QLD that none of the kids wore shoes.

They were all barefoot. This was probably back in the 60s and 70s.

Don't know if it still happens but it used to be the norm in QLD years ago.

Guest The Pom Queen

We lived in Cairns for nearly 5 years my middle son is still up there, it is very rare to see people bare foot. Yes sometimes adults and kids can go out with no shoes but it's very rare, I probably saw it more when we lived in Melbourne. Up here the floor is too hot even the sand burns your feet. Sometimes you will find in wet season if it's a torrential downpour the kids will take off their school shoes to stop them getting wrecked but that's about it

Guest The Pom Queen
I'm not sure if it still happens, but it used to be very common in primary schools in QLD that none of the kids wore shoes.

They were all barefoot. This was probably back in the 60s and 70s.

Don't know if it still happens but it used to be the norm in QLD years ago.

Unfortunately not, health and safety clamped down up here it is proper school shoes they can't even wear sandals. Some primary schools allow kids to wear trainers

Wow that's amazing never would u ever see that in UK lol so not to bring shoes then

Plenty of Aussies go without shoes. We lived near Sydney and whilst it was not unusual see people barefoot, most people are in shoes! So bring them...

More a thing of the past I suspect but still evident in places. I can recall primary school in WA (hardly warm in winter)being shoeless, common among many of the boys. Shoes would be taken off at the school gates, if worn at all. This resulted in feet as hard as leather. Used to be able to kick the oval ball a great distance without a second thought. Walk on stones and all surfaces without a problem.

On moving to England at that same period, went bare feet two or three occasions in the location we first stayed only to be met with derision and learnt some things just don't travel well and never repeated going shoeless away from the beach.

There are a few schools in WA (down south) that insist on shoes not being worn in kindy and pre-primary - bloody freezing in the winter. Lots of people walk around barefoot in the territory, but they have security guards posted now that enforce the wearing of shoes in shops. I have seen a couple of people without shoes in city areas, but it is not the norm.

We see a great many in town without shoes in the summer sometimes in winter but not as often. As others have said you also see people getting about in just shorts no top(men or Boys only though) have also see ladies?girls in just there swimwear too. Have also seen people in their Pj's adults and kids in the supermarket and the Mc donalds.

Try walking down a road in summer without shoes; you'll soon know about it.

It's true you'll see people without shoes anywhere it's cool underfoot; malls, grass, beach etc, but on asphalt in the sun, no.

I was born on the Gold Coast in the days before it became a tourist attraction with bikie crime around the edge; dad literally drained a swamp to build a house (which has a boat mooring these days, we should have kept hold of that one), anyway, I grew up without shoes, didn't even own a pair until I was two. We moved to the UK, my brother and I flat refused shoes and people offered money to my mum as we seemed too poor to afford shoes...

I've seen the P.J's at my local Coles and also at my old local Sainsburys back in Bristol. Teenage girls in the main but a few young Mums too.

Often see entire families in them in Mandurah both in the forum and Florida shopping centres. Even carrying pillows on occasion as if they might be planning to pop onto an empty shelf for a quick nap

This was one of the things I noticed when I came here 20 odd years ago. The first date I went on with my husband, he turned up with no shoes! :eek:OK, we were going to the coast but he drove without shoes. You still see it around some of the outer suburban shopping centres in Brisbane and lots of kids play outside at home barefoot.

Archived