35 years in Australia and now I want to move back to UK

Jane Michaela

I've lived in Queensland for 30 years and Aus for 35 and now I really want to move back to the UK. I went back in May as my Dad passed away and feel if I don't make the move soon I'll regret it when I'm older. I'm qualified to work in childcare here and have worked for many years in pubs/hotels and also retail stores. I'm wondering how I would go aged 55 finding work, there does not seem to be the age bias in the UK that some employers in Australia seem prone to especially here in Queensland. What do you think?

make sure you take into consideration that you wont have enough contributions for a full UK pension and if you are not in Australia, you wont be able to claim the pension here either. Its a lot different living somewhere than going for a few weeks and the UK will have changed so much from what you would remember.

I've lived in Queensland for 30 years and Aus for 35 and now I really want to move back to the UK. I went back in May as my Dad passed away and feel if I don't make the move soon I'll regret it when I'm older. I'm qualified to work in childcare here and have worked for many years in pubs/hotels and also retail stores. I'm wondering how I would go aged 55 finding work, there does not seem to be the age bias in the UK that some employers in Australia seem prone to especially here in Queensland. What do you think?

There is bias but not so much in the jobs you have experience with. The economy is on the up. But things have changed a lot in 35 years.

I don't know about bias as I haven't tried to find work yet. I don't think that's your main worry though - your main concern will be to ensure you qualify for the British pension, since you'll never be able to collect the Australian one. You will be able to draw on your superannuation, but it will be taxed (unlike if you stayed in Oz, where it would be tax-free). So you will have a much lower income in your retirement than if you stayed in Australia.

You need ten years' NI contributions to get the UK pension. I assume you'll be planning to work till retirement age (65) in the UK in which case you'll just about make it, but you should check your NI contributions to make sure.

Edited by Marisawright

I don't know about bias as I haven't tried to find work yet. I don't think that's your main worry though - your main concern will be to ensure you qualify for the British pension, since you'll never be able to collect the Australian one. You will be able to draw on your superannuation, but it will be taxed (unlike if you stayed in Oz, where it would be tax-free). So you will have a much lower income in your retirement than if you stayed in Australia.

You need ten years' NI contributions to get the UK pension. I assume you'll be planning to work till retirement age (65) in the UK in which case you'll just about make it, but you should check your NI contributions to make sure.

Retirement age will be 67 for someone age 55 now I believe. 10 years of contributions will not qualify for full pension or are you calculating the qualifying Aussie years.

You may be thinking of working beyond 65? I certainly am (I am 59 and have my own business as does my wife who is 61)

I think that you will find something as you seem to have a range of skills and the economy is on the up.

I think, but have nothing to back this up, that UK is a less prejudiced place generally and a more forgiving and less money orientated culture. I speak as a long term Aussie resident of the UK. These are simply my views.

So I think that you will find something and people won't hold your age against you.

The UK is a wonderful place to live.

You need 30 years contributions for a full UK Pension

From next April it will be 35 years. The OP will have about 20 years prior to 2001 that will count towards a UK pension. Add to that the future years of working and paying N.I. contributions and you can also make back payments for the last 6 years as well. Not far off 35 years in total. Contact the UK Future Pensions Office to get your pension forecast, then you'll know for sure.

From next April it will be 35 years. The OP will have about 20 years prior to 2001 that will count towards a UK pension. Add to that the future years of working and paying N.I. contributions and you can also make back payments for the last 6 years as well. Not far off 35 years in total. Contact the UK Future Pensions Office to get your pension forecast, then you'll know for sure.

How will there be 20 years prior to 2001? Was there a reciprocal arrangement or something?

You may be thinking of working beyond 65? I certainly am (I am 59 and have my own business as does my wife who is 61)

I think that you will find something as you seem to have a range of skills and the economy is on the up.

I think, but have nothing to back this up, that UK is a less prejudiced place generally and a more forgiving and less money orientated culture. I speak as a long term Aussie resident of the UK. These are simply my views.

So I think that you will find something and people won't hold your age against you.

The UK is a wonderful place to live.

As Marissa says, the OP should consider her financial situation very carefully with regard to superannuation and pension.

I don't think the OP will be in for too much of a shock?They did state they were back in the UK in May???Anyway.....re work?I'm 54,quit my NHS job back in Jan this year,had a week off to contemplate (lol)then went through an agency,signed up and started work the following day!(This is a perm full time job!)so I doubt you'll have any hassles finding a job.Just keep options open and be flexible,you'll be right! ;)

I don't think the OP will be in for too much of a shock?They did state they were back in the UK in May???Anyway.....re work?I'm 54,quit my NHS job back in Jan this year,had a week off to contemplate (lol)then went through an agency,signed up and started work the following day!(This is a perm full time job!)so I doubt you'll have any hassles finding a job.Just keep options open and be flexible,you'll be right! ;)

Couldn't agree more.

I met a 60 year old Australian woman in London a few months ago and I asked her what she was doing here. She said that she had just moved to London on her own and was having the most wonderful time and was sooooooooooooooo happy with life.

She was living in a very ordinary part of London but this wasn't phasing her at all.

She was embarking on a new phase in her life on her own and good luck to her. She was loving it.

In my opinion life starts at 60. You will be fine.

How will there be 20 years prior to 2001? Was there a reciprocal arrangement or something?

Yes there was. The OP will need to submit evidence of her record in Australia (testimonials, certificates of service etc). I meant to say that in my previous post! It's a pity the agreement was only valid up to 2001 so years after that won't count.

Add to that whatever NI contributions before leaving the UK plus whatever she earns between now and retirement, she may not be far off the full whack - and can also back-pay a few years if necessary.

Edited by Marisawright

I think people really need to think about retirement even it its years away. With governments trying to reign in the social welfare sector its only going to get more difficult. My friend's brother who is retired went to live in Fiji however is wife is only 59 so not retirement age. She has a weak heart and was on disability here in Aus. It then turned out that if he died she would not be eligible for anything from Aus despite the fact that she had lived here for 25 years. So they had to move back to Australia. This will be happening to a lot of people now. The reason is that so many people came here earned a living and then went home on the pension from Aus. They are now not keen on that at all and trying not to pay at all. Also here in Aus they make you get a pension from any country that you worked in. I had to get one from New Zealand UK and Aus. My friend has one from UK Canada and Aus. Its getting very complicated and its not nice finding out after the horse has bolted and the gate is shut

Well yes Bristolman,time waits for no man/woman!lol The place doesn't stand still while the rest of the world moves on!Like all places,there have been changes,positive and maybe not so positive,but I am confident the OP won't be in for a shock.Things haven't changed that drastically since May 2015 have they?:wink:

Makes me smile when people come back to the UK for a holiday and say "Everyone's still doing the same old same old"What do they really expect people to be doing?When I head back to Oz (pretty regularly I might add)people are just living their lives as they always have.I find that pretty comforting myself!