holiday in uk

shak

Been here for 3days now,and honestly it feels i have never been away.oz just feels like a really bad dream.now that im here,i just don't want to go back,the thought itself is making me feel sick.i feel content here,i dont want to leave my home and family again,i dont think i can bear anymore!

I used to think uk was a dump before i went oz,but my god i dont think that now,love this place,and i do thank australia for making me realise what a wonderful place my home is.missed the greenery,the foooood too,the weather has been ace!even if it were dull and grey i wouldn't care,love this place for what it is.

For all those that know about my nausea,well now i know its definitely due to being away from uk,because everytime i think abt oz i feel sick again.

Me and hubby have decided that we coming back to uk earlier than planned,fingers crossed everything goes to plan.so will have to go back to oz this time :( dreading the flight,hate that flight,especially with a little one.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome home!Not sure how long you're back for Shak,but I do believe,when you leave a place for whatever reason,and come back,you gain the new appreciation of the place,which is always positive.Try to keep some positives in your mind re Oz,because its much healthier imho to do this rather than be bitter,and really dislike the place.Countries are a lot like people don't you think?When you fall for someone/a country you don't tend to see negatives,only positives.Then when it ends,all you can really think about are those negatives,I think in a way,that helps people "move on"and forward,but you know what?Sometimes its kinder to yourself to recall the positives too.Best wishes Shak,and enjoy your time in the UK.Dont know where you are,but we've had rain overnight,but its a beautiful day today.

I've never understood the UK is a dump thing. How? I suppose it could depend where you live but it certainly wasn't and still isn't where I lived, worked and visited on holiday.

Hope it all works out for you, and the coming back isn't too traumatic.

I dont understand that now either.i dont know why i thought that.maybe because of the grey skies?but i dont mind that anymore...

And thankyou

Just remember two things: England in summer is W.O.N.D.E.R.F.U.L., when everything is SO green and lush, and it is light until nine or ten o clock at night, and you are on holiday there, not living and working there, getting up on a grey, dull, dank, November morning, when there is a half-light for about eight hours before it gets properly dark again. I got used to that over my twelve years back in England, but it's still a shock to arrive in winter, especially if you have flown direct from Australia, which is why I recommend that anybody who is unhappy in OZ returns to the UK in winter.

Just remember two things: England in summer is W.O.N.D.E.R.F.U.L., when everything is SO green and lush, and it is light until nine or ten o clock at night, and you are on holiday there, not living and working there, getting up on a grey, dull, dank, November morning, when there is a half-light for about eight hours before it gets properly dark again. I got used to that over my twelve years back in England, but it's still a shock to arrive in winter, especially if you have flown direct from Australia, which is why I recommend that anybody who is unhappy in OZ returns to the UK in winter.

Personally i wouldn't mind the dark days anymore or early nights.i miss the cosy days in,curling up in front of the fire with a good movie :)

Personally i wouldn't mind the dark days anymore or early nights.i miss the cosy days in,curling up in front of the fire with a good movie :)

So one of the things you hate most about living in Australia is the very SHORTNESS of the winter!? Four months of sitting by the fire is not enough. I want EIGHT months. And whilst it is wonderful to live in a centrally heated home, it's not so wonderful to walk or drive in the ice and snow and rain. As I said, when you make your permanent move back to the UK, do it in October so you can fully appreciate the wonder of a Pommy winter!

UK winter or Aus winter? I was very happy in Australia but returned in UK winter and it was fantastic. Cold, crisp and even dark evenings were cosy and they really didn't last that long anyway. I had obviously been reading too much on forums and thought it was dark for six months in UK but to be honest it was starting to stay light by end February. Now I lose track of time in the evenings, I think it is 7pm and then notice it is 9.30pm!

So one of the things you hate most about living in Australia is the very SHORTNESS of the winter!? Four months of sitting by the fire is not enough. I want EIGHT months. And whilst it is wonderful to live in a centrally heated home, it's not so wonderful to walk or drive in the ice and snow and rain. As I said, when you make your permanent move back to the UK, do it in October so you can fully appreciate the wonder of a Pommy winter!

I love walking in the snow,i wait for it in winters lol...and i wish i could move this october so i can enjoy the festive season,bonfire night,Halloween, xmas,new years,its magic!

You could be like us - just don't go back! (We stayed - 4 yrs ago now!) our eldest son did the same 14 yrs ago! Exciting times!

Oh i wish,i think im going to have to go back this one time and than im permanently coming back!

You could be like us - just don't go back! (We stayed - 4 yrs ago now!) our eldest son did the same 14 yrs ago! Exciting times!

Is it four years now?! I went back for a holiday in 1996 and stayed till 2008. Just the way things worked out. I lost my job. My parents were still alive otherwise I'd never have left OZ

And if my brother has not been in Sydney I might still be in UK now

UK winter or Aus winter? I was very happy in Australia but returned in UK winter and it was fantastic. Cold, crisp and even dark evenings were cosy and they really didn't last that long anyway. I had obviously been reading too much on forums and thought it was dark for six months in UK but to be honest it was starting to stay light by end February. Now I lose track of time in the evenings, I think it is 7pm and then notice it is 9.30pm!

I got used to them again but it was still a shock shivering at Heathrow on a dank and chill Nov morning dressed in what was perfect for a Sydney winter but patently unsuitable for a UK winter.

Sitting in this flat on my own 20 years ago I woukd prob have been lonely, homesick and missing my parents. Now, there is not a single atom of me that wishes I was in England.

I love walking in the snow,i wait for it in winters lol...and i wish i could move this october so i can enjoy the festive season,bonfire night,Halloween, xmas,new years,its magic!

I loved walking in the snow and ice when I was a kid but I'm frightened of walking in snow and ice and driving too now. All those festive events except Bonfire Night (for kids anyway) you can enjoy in OZ. Well I can anyway as long as I have friends and family around. When they are not around I have a lonely Xmas whether I'm in UK or OZ.

I loved walking in the snow and ice when I was a kid but I'm frightened of walking in snow and ice and driving too now. All those festive events except Bonfire Night (for kids anyway) you can enjoy in OZ. Well I can anyway as long as I have friends and family around. When they are not around I have a lonely Xmas whether I'm in UK or OZ.

Wouldn't be the same in oz without the cold snap.wrapping up warm in the dark is part of it all.its lovely. Your lucky you have family and friends to enjoy with,i dont have that,one of the reasons i want to go home

I think we need to remember,MR2,not everyone dislikes November,and its not always dank either?I don't either have my central heating on for 8mths of the year either.Maybe embrace the weather,whatever that happens to be like.You can't change it,so just as well accept it for what it is,whether that's 4c or 45c!

British winters never bothered me - hence my username :smile: - but I'm already beginning to dread the thought of the Melbourne summer, and it's still 4 months away! I really miss the crispness of autumn in England, "the season of mists and mellow fruitfulness" (I think that's the quote!) with Halloween and Bonfire Night, followed by a nice cold Christmas! :smile:

Wouldn't be the same in oz without the cold snap.wrapping up warm in the dark is part of it all.its lovely. Your lucky you have family and friends to enjoy with,i dont have that,one of the reasons i want to go home

I have no family in the UK now and one brother living 60 km from me in Sydney. you may be lucky and the source of your unhappiness is Australia. My unhappiness has been inside me so it does not matter where I live once I killed that unhappiness.

I got used to them again but it was still a shock shivering at Heathrow on a dank and chill Nov morning dressed in what was perfect for a Sydney winter but patently unsuitable for a UK winter.

Sitting in this flat on my own 20 years ago I woukd prob have been lonely, homesick and missing my parents. Now, there is not a single atom of me that wishes I was in England.

I arrived in January at about 5am, I had no coat but I had a nice exec limo pick me up and take me to the apartment I had booked in central London for a few weeks. Driving through London, past Buckingham Palace and all the other sites that time of day was fabulous, London is utterly gorgeous at night. My job on my first full day was to buy a coat! I just had a jumper, scarves and gloves that first day but I was OK. Gosh it feels a long time ago now.

There is plenty of me that wishes I was still in Australia though. I am happy in either place and I think the UK makes more sense for us, but I do miss Australia as well.

British winters never bothered me - hence my username :smile: - but I'm already beginning to dread the thought of the Melbourne summer, and it's still 4 months away! I really miss the crispness of autumn in England, "the season of mists and mellow fruitfulness" (I think that's the quote!) with Halloween and Bonfire Night, followed by a nice cold Christmas! :smile:

Im dreading the sydney summers too...xmas is not the same in oz,doesn't feel right in the heat

I think we need to remember,MR2,not everyone dislikes November,and its not always dank either?I don't either have my central heating on for 8mths of the year either.Maybe embrace the weather,whatever that happens to be like.You can't change it,so just as well accept it for what it is,whether that's 4c or 45c!

If the weather is not a factor, why do so many people take their holidays at this time of the year in the UK and why is it the most popular time, bar Xmas, for people to go back to the UK for holidays? Why not go in Nov when it is cheaper and less crowded?

I am just suggesting to people that If you are considering going back to the UK, do it in winter and remember too that going on holiday in summer is not the same as living and working there in winter.

I arrived in January at about 5am, I had no coat but I had a nice exec limo pick me up and take me to the apartment I had booked in central London for a few weeks. Driving through London, past Buckingham Palace and all the other sites that time of day was fabulous, London is utterly gorgeous at night. My job on my first full day was to buy a coat! I just had a jumper, scarves and gloves that first day but I was OK. Gosh it feels a long time ago now.

There is plenty of me that wishes I was still in Australia though. I am happy in either place and I think the UK makes more sense for us, but I do miss Australia as well.

I had to do the same thing, buy coat hat scarf gloves and after two months I had settled back in.

I've had my ups and downs in both countries but I know enough not to blame either country when I am down. If I hate crowds and commuting in Sydney then it will be the same in London. If I'm happy in myself in England I should be the same on Sydney. I did not come to Australia to "live the dream " or for "sun, surf and sand. ' I just wanted an adventure

In retrospect maybe I should have stayed in England but what can I do?

Archived