Etihad

Guest51810

A friend pointed out to me that they are still 6th in the world or something like that. So i'm sure i'll get there in one piece and it'll be fine. Plus I cant exactly complain with the price they are coming in at. I was just surprised at some of the reviews and I wondered if they were worse than I thought. Tbh if I wasn't thinking of a stopover then i'd probably just pay the £50 extra for Singapore airlines but I looked into the stopover with them and it was quite a lot more expensive to do it.

Etihad comes across to me as a good airline, according to tv ads. I'd say don't worry about the comments you've read online, stacey. I felt the same about Emirates after we'd booked and paid for our tickets a few months ago. I had a look at one of those websites that give ratings for all the airlines, and was quite downhearted when I read one negative comment after another about Emirates Economy. BUT - and this is the bit I want you to take on board - our own personal experience of Emirates Economy two months ago was truly EXCELLENT!! We've flown with many different airlines over the years and I can honestly say that Emirates' air-crew were the friendliest, most approachable of any we've ever known. Very friendly indeed, and that makes a heap of difference on long-haul flights, as far as we're concerned. Unfortunately, it's been a great many years since we've flown with our own country's national airline, British Airways, mostly because the cabin crew were so 'remote' and 'unapproachable'. Qantas were not much better, although I must say Cathay, Singapore Airlines and MAS were nice and friendly. However, for us, Emirates comes top of the list, and we'll definitely fly with them again. My theory about all the negative comments is that rival airlines are adding all these negative comments to the various forums for people like you and me to read, so we don't fly with them! Go with your gut feeling, Stace. I'm sure you'll have a lovely flight with Etihad!!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, in my experience, Emirates' flight-change times are much quicker than all other airlines we've flown with. Only 2 hours in Dubai a couple of months ago.

British airways has the shortest flight time Syd/Lhr. return, goes via Singapore BA 016/015 flying time 22hrs or + 30 mins. return flt, price showing cheaper than Etihad and Emirates and Singapore for August.

Not that I am a great fan, but value for money and flight time, think daughter will book on them via best jet, cheaper at the moment than booking direst with BA or get flt centre to match price.

Check sky scanner etc.for best prices.

British airways has the shortest flight time Syd/Lhr. return, goes via Singapore BA 016/015 flying time 22hrs or + 30 mins. return flt, price showing cheaper than Etihad and Emirates and Singapore for August.

Not that I am a great fan, but value for money and flight time, think daughter will book on them via best jet, cheaper at the moment than booking direst with BA or get flt centre to match price.

Check sky scanner etc.for best prices.

sorry several others similar flt time

Similar but the BA flight is shortest for the reasons I gave above, Google great circles and consider this flight is the most direct with a fuel stop.

Yes I 'm not arguing with you, sure you are right, my husband would know, and because of what you wrote my daughter is intending to book BA, just looking at other flights some are fairly similar, and knowing PIO, someone was bound to make a comment which is why I wrote similar not the same, as price can make the end decision Having said that BA is coming up at least $100 cheaper. at the moment for August. Hope she books it quickly.

Similar but the BA flight is shortest for the reasons I gave above, Google great circles and consider this flight is the most direct with a fuel stop.

Great circle doesn't really come into it if you are comparing SYD-SIN-LHR on BA and SYD-SIN-LHR on SQ! The latter seems 10 mins longer at its shortest, presumably because the arrival time into LHR is at a busier time of day.

For LHR-SYD it seems that MH offers the shortest flight time for dates I looked at...in reality the minimum connecting time (MCT) and frequency at airline at transit airports is probably a greater factor than great circle.

Edited by bcworld

As others have said - there's not a lot in it between all the main airlines.

Once your on board it's difficult to tell the difference.

That Singapore flight goes via London. I'd avoid it if you can. Why add in another stop, more waiting in airports, more boredom lol.

As for stopping on the way there - I thought you wanted to save money? Singapore is expensive. Before you decide on a stopover check out hotel prices, airport transfer costs, etc.

When I first went to Aus we done a two night stop in Bangkok. Honestly - the first day was a complete waste. We were all jet lagged and slept until late afternoon. Even the second day we planned a city tour before the flight but no... Once again jet lag kicked in and we just slept.

If you aren't used to travelling long haul, it can be a killer.

Don't know whether it's been mentioned, but watch out for the flights that say 'one stop' which is the main stop, but some include a 'technical stop' which is only advertised in very small hard to find print!

Made that mistake in February, when the technical (refuelling) stop was in Singapore, and lasted longer than the main stop in UAE.

Went back to Oz again in April and double/tripled checked and was lucky to get the most direct 'true one stop'.

As others have said - there's not a lot in it between all the main airlines.

Once your on board it's difficult to tell the difference.

That Singapore flight goes via London. I'd avoid it if you can. Why add in another stop, more waiting in airports, more boredom lol.

As for stopping on the way there - I thought you wanted to save money? Singapore is expensive. Before you decide on a stopover check out hotel prices, airport transfer costs, etc.

When I first went to Aus we done a two night stop in Bangkok. Honestly - the first day was a complete waste. We were all jet lagged and slept until late afternoon. Even the second day we planned a city tour before the flight but no... Once again jet lag kicked in and we just slept.

If you aren't used to travelling long haul, it can be a killer.

if I do the stopover then it was cheap and I've already researched the costs. Have no interest in drinking there so was just going to see the sights but I'm starting to think maybe that's all I'll do is sleep too! Never travelled long haul before - longest was florida

Yeah when I looked at Emirates it's only 90 mins in Dubai. But it's over £700 just for a single. £1017 for a return

Aww thats annoying I did Emirates in April for £710 return, with a short stopover in dubai (one way was 2 hours other was 90 minutes), but that was leaving from London.

They started in London at the start of the year but have been expanding them throughout their entire range. The Etihad website has lots of info on them. Lots of video's on their facebook page. Feel like a plane stalker.

Maybe they've used them on the new route then lol or maybe we're getting the old planes :laugh: I'll have a look