Sydney for a long weekend...what can I cram in??

fifi69

Do what the Japanese and Chinese tourists do? Bondi Beach, Sydney Opera House, Sydney Harbour Bridge - just walk across, or pay the money and climb the arch, which I've never wanted to do. Maybe book a performance at the Opera House rather than just look at it, and get a meal in one of the places around Circular Quay.

Do the coastal walk from Bondi Beach to Coogee.

Get the L90 bus to Palm Beach if you want to see where Home and Away is filmed. (It's worth seeing regardless of that dubious honour.)

Just walk around the city, That is the best way to see it.

Sorry chook but I found the place pretty "neglected, litter strewn, and downtrodden" outside of Maryrose's first Para. Bondi????? What's with the hype? It's a beach, end of..........not particularly stunning scenery wise so why the big deal? Stick with what Maryrose says in his first para.....anything else would be wasted time and money (IMHO of course).............heaven forbid if we were all the same :-)

Bondi? I don't like Bondi, as it is impossible to park, but I can still recognize it as a wonderful beach. Is it better than a hundred other Aussie beaches? Perhaps not, but those hundred others are not Aussie icons. I think the scenery IS stunning. I was at Bronte today looking north towards Tamarama and Bondi and, even with my 'looking at the river through the eyes of the pilot' can still see the spectacular.

Do what the Japanese and Chinese tourists do? Bondi Beach, Sydney Opera House, Sydney Harbour Bridge - just walk across, or pay the money and climb the arch, which I've never wanted to do. Maybe book a performance at the Opera House rather than just look at it, and get a meal in one of the places around Circular Quay.

Do the coastal walk from Bondi Beach to Coogee.

Get the L90 bus to Palm Beach if you want to see where Home and Away is filmed. (It's worth seeing regardless of that dubious honour.)

Just walk around the city, That is the best way to see it.

Thats a great suggestion about getting on the bus to see home and away. Haha Didnt even realise that was still on the go. Used to watch it after school as a teen. Is the neighbours set around there too??

would there be any street markets or the like going on?? Like a good wander round a market. Doesn't have to be central, willing to travel to an outer area.

someone has suggested to OH that we go to Manly??

Neighbours is made in Melbourne.

"Ramsay Street" is actually quite close to me in Vermont South.

Sorry Parley for my geographical mistake:tongue:

you can be my tour guide guide, when I come to Melbourne :laugh:

Sorry Parley for my geographical mistake:tongue:

you can be my tour guide guide, when I come to Melbourne :laugh:

I'd be happy to.

I've lived in my house for 20 years and keep meaning to drive and have a look at that street, actually called Pin Oak Court in real life.

I will do it now you have reminded me.

I'd be happy to.

I've lived in my house for 20 years and keep meaning to drive and have a look at that street, actually called Pin Oak Court in real life.

I will do it now you have reminded me.

Photos please parley:wink:

Hey mate,

I normally go the other way. Where are you staying? It depends what you you are into and whether you have a car or not. For me Sydney is all about the harbour. The must do's are (will add good places to eat/drink in brackets nearby) and all are all pretty accessable/easier by public transport

Opera House (Opera Kitchen does better food than Opera bar)

Botanical Gardens

Wander around the rocks, Sunday markets (Rooftop of the Glenmore is great - close to the bridgeclimb if you are doing that)

Ferry to Manly (Manly wharf hotel)

Ferry to Watsons bay (Doyles)

Darling harbour (Hurricanes for the best ribs ever, Chinta Ria for Asian)

Small bars (Baxter, Barber shop, Uncle Mings, Mojo records, Spooning goats all good, York St, Clarence st. Shady pines in Darlinghurst)

Other options

Bondi (North Bondi RSL is good and practically on the beach, or Icebergs), I'm not a huge fan but if you want to tick the box. Nice walk along the coast from Bondi to Coogee (about 90mins). If you have a car, Watsons bay via South head to North Bondi is nice.

Surry Hills - More for a night out - Crown st is the strip of bars/restaurants for all the hipsters

Newtown for an alternative & cheaper night out, Newtown hotel is good, King st is full of cheaper eats, c. $15 cab from the city

Balmain/Rozelle (my hood) - some great pubs, restaurants, cafes. Saturdays is best (Love Fish, Satasia, Indian palace all great eats. The London, Cat & Fiddle & the Baldrock good boozers. Live music in the Baldie from about 4 on a Sat., beautiful old school sandstone back street pub). Bus/Ferry, $15-$20 in a cab

Balmoral - beautiful harbour beach, if you have a car, pop up to middle head, stunning views and Burnt orange is nice for lunch, close to the Zoo also

Ferrys - Best way to see Sydney, Jump on random ferries & admire the harbour

Palm beach (Home & away) is a hike. An hour drive, 90 mins on a bus. For a weekend I'd skip it as it will take a whole day.

Get an Opal card for public transport, $2.50 cap on Sundays and $15 cap other days and you can jump on and off as you like.

Have fun.

Col

Hey mate,

I normally go the other way. Where are you staying? It depends what you you are into and whether you have a car or not. For me Sydney is all about the harbour. The must do's are (will add good places to eat/drink in brackets nearby) and all are all pretty accessable/easier by public transport

Botanical Gardens

Wander around the rocks, Sunday markets (Rooftop of the Glenmore is great - close to the bridgeclimb if you are doing that)

Small bars (Baxter, Barber shop, Uncle Mings, Mojo records, Spooning goats all good, York St, Clarence st. Shady pines in Darlinghurst)

Other options

Bondi (North Bondi RSL is good and practically on the beach, or Icebergs), I'm not a huge fan but if you want to tick the box. Nice walk along the coast from Bondi to Coogee (about 90mins). If you have a car, Watsons bay via South head to North Bondi is nice.

Surry Hills - More for a night out - Crown st is the strip of bars/restaurants for all the hipsters

Newtown for an alternative & cheaper night out, Newtown hotel is good, King st is full of cheaper eats, c. $15 cab from the city

Balmain/Rozelle (my hood) - some great pubs, restaurants, cafes. Saturdays is best (Love Fish, Satasia, Indian palace all great eats. The London, Cat & Fiddle & the Baldrock good boozers. Live music in the Baldie from about 4 on a Sat., beautiful old school sandstone back street pub). Bus/Ferry, $15-$20 in a cab

Balmoral - beautiful harbour beach, if you have a car, pop up to middle head, stunning views and Burnt orange is nice for lunch, close to the Zoo also

Palm beach (Home & away) is a hike. An hour drive, 90 mins on a bus. For a weekend I'd skip it as it will take a whole day.

Get an Opal card for public transport, $2.50 cap on Sundays and $15 cap other days and you can jump on and off as you like.

Have fun.

Col

Excellent thats just what I was after:wubclub: nothing like inside knowledge

Think I best go visit Daves neck of the woods too...

would be rude not too:tongue:

so @MARYROSE02, how do I get there, and where should I go for a cheap but decent meal??

My 'neck of the woods' - Surry Hills - is very close to the city and Central railway. Get out the train at Central and take the Devonshire St exit, and just walk up Devonshire St to Crown St, which is the main street of Surry Hills. Some of those pubs I mentioned are in Devonshire St, and Forresters is on the corner of Foveaux and Riley Sts. It's mostly easy to walk but Foveaux is steep coming up from Central. (it's parallel to Devonshire St.

It's more fun just exploring yourself, you know, get a travel pass, and hop on any train/bus/ferry/tram you feel like, and get off where you feel like. I remember in Suva (Fiji) leaving the ship, going to the bus station, and picking a bus at random, and getting off at the Uni of the South Pacific, where I had lunch.

1. [h=3]Sydney City Pass - viator.com‎[/h]Ad<cite>http://www.viator.com/'>http://www.viator.com/sydney-passes</cite>‎

1. 4.2 rating for viator.com

Buy the Sydney or Darling Harbor Pass on Viator. Get a Great Deal!

24/7 Live Support · Verified Reviews & Photos · Low Price Guarantee

Viator.com has 1,304,995 followers on Google+

<form action="https://www.google.com/settings/u/0/ads/preferences" method="post" class="r-ihUq76CxoQhk"></form>

[h=2]Search Results[/h]

1. [h=3]Multi DayPass - tickets | transportnsw.info[/h]<cite class="_Rm">http://www.transportnsw.info/en/'>http://www.transportnsw.info/en/tickets/ticket-types/...passes/mymulti-day.page</cite>

[*]Consider using an Opal card or a MyMulti Day Pass. A MyMulti Day Pass is an all<wbr>-in-one ticket that gives you unlimited travel all day on: Sydney Trains NSW ...‎Which bus operator accepts ... - ‎Taronga Zoo - ‎Blue Mountains ExplorerLink

[*][h=3]transportnsw.info: Transport Info - Public Transport ...[/h]<cite class="_Rm">www.transportnsw.info/</cite>

[*]Public transport trip planning, timetables, ticketing, maps and travel information for greater Sydney, Newcastle, Central Coast, Bathurst, Wollongong and ...You've visited this page 3 times. Last visit: 8/06/15

[*][h=3]MyMulti - tickets | transportnsw.info[/h]<cite class="_Rm">transportnsw.info/tickets/multi-travel</cite>

[*]A MyMulti ticket gives you unlimited travel on trains, buses, and light rail in Sydney, the Blue Mountains, the Central Coast, Hunter and Illawarra areas. MyMulti ...

[*][h=3]Which ticket? - Sydney Trains[/h]<cite class="_Rm">http://www.sydneytrains.info/tickets/which/</cite>

Find the Sydney Trains ticket that's right for you. ... Travelling with us ... For ticket information, including concessions, conditions, fares and student school rail .

Pubs and clubs are usually good for meals, especially the 'specials'. The Shakespeare Hotel has a $12.50 menu every day. The Trinity has specials on some days, eg $12.50 steak on Mondays, $12.50 schnitzels on Thursdays. I think the Forresters does a $5 steak on Mondays, though I've not tried it. I was in the City Tattershalls club on Tuesday and they had a very nice $10 fish and chips. (That is a nice club too, in Pitt St, near the Hilton.)

We always recommend friends to travel on the ferries to Manly and around and about on a Sunday due to the $2.50 travel cap. The Manly ferry pretty much gives you the best views that most of the paid cruises give.

Another multiple attraction pass here: http://www.sydneytowereye.com.au/tickets/attractions-passes/#attractions-passes-special-offer

The train from the airport to the city is fast, although costs circa $15 each way.

Definitely pay a visit to Manly - get off the ferry and walk through the pedestrian area to the beach. I think from memory there was a nice walk from there too, along a path with these big lizard things on the banks alongside, then through a bit of woodland, then came out somewhere near the Manly Maternity Hospital (where I was born). Is there a pub called something like the Three Pines as well by the jetty where you catch the ferry back? That did nice food (and nice beers according to my OH).

The Rocks is a lovely place to have a wonder round, grab a coffee somewhere and just do some people watching, and if you are around the Botanic Gardens at dusk look out for the giant fruit bats coming home to roost in the trees there. I thought it was Batman paying a visit!

If you have a smartphone, get an app like TripGo (I think) so you can check public transport routes, times and connections. We got one of those multitrip passes which covers busses, tubes, trains and ferries, and just hopped on and off as we felt like - a good way to find some hidden out-of-the-way gems like little bohemian cafes and bookshops, plus we even went out to the Blue Mountains for a couple of hours on the train - just enough time to get there, do a bit of a walk (or have a bite to eat as we did) and then head back to the city.

We also visited the Museum of Sydney which was very interesting too and there is the Museum of Contemporary Art if you like that sort of thing. Grab some sandwiches from a supermarket and picnic in one of the many parks if the weather is nice.

So heading from Perth to Sydney this Friday for a long weekend.

What should we check out?? Best way to see the city?

The harbour is the highlight. Head to Circular Quay and get on the ferry to Manly. Much cheaper than doing a harbour cruise and you get a great view of the whole harbour.

Manly is just a seaside resort, but it's worth walking along the Corso (the main pedestrianised street which leads to the surf beach) to see the markets and maybe choose somewhere to have lunch, there's heaps of restaurants, cafes and pubs to choose from and cheaper than the CBD!

If you don't fancy Manly then take a ferry to Watson's Bay instead, lovely views back along the Harbour.

Back at Circular Quay, walk along the water's edge to the Rocks (more craft markets) for more great views of the harbour and bridge. You could do the Bridge Climb, though it costs a fortune, or you could just climb the Pylon Lookout and see the same view for a fraction of the price

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g255060-d2643246-Reviews-Pylon_Lookout_at_Sydney_Harbour_Bridge-Sydney_New_South_Wales.html

If you're used to sandy beaches then Bondi is just another beach - but the walk from Bondi to Coogee (or vice versa) along the cliffs is gorgeous if you like a good walk. I like to break the walk at Bronte where there's a good fish and chip shop and a big grassed area overlooking the beach to eat them on!

You could do Taronga Zoo but it would take up a whole day, so with only a weekend to play with it may not be the best choice.

If you like flea markets,Rozelle market is the nearest Sydney has, it's on Saturday and Sunday.

As well as the options already mentioned you could consider a Sydney Harbour dinner cruise for something a little bit different. There are lots of different options from fairly inexpensive to ones that provide a show as well as dinner.

If you google Sydney Harbour dinner cruises you'll find lots of different companies and can check out their menu options, prices etc. We have taken friends on the Sydney Show Boat a few times but there are lots of others as well.

The city lights look beautiful from the water and the cruises can be fun - we have always enjoyed the ones we have been on.

Hey mate,

Botanical Gardens

Other options

Have fun.

Col

I'll have to print this out and work my way through it!

My only comment is that Crown Street is for the 'tourists' from the other 'burbs, whilst you can find the locals in Devonshire Street. I went to The Clock Hotel for the first time in ages, the other week, and was pleasantly surprised to go in 'The Whisky Room.'

Archived