Help needed please - son to Oz

kellyjamie

Evening all,

im hoping someone can help please before i employ an agent. My son is the UK and has recently turned 18.He has now decided he wants to move out here and i have no idea how he can come out?

heres some info.......

He is working full time

We get citizenship in Jan

He has no trade

Any info would be great

Thankyou

Kelly

If only he had decided before he turned 18! I would think his chances of anything other than a working holiday visa are somewhere between remote and zero now. Without a trade or profession he won't get a skilled migrant visa and for a child visa he would need to show dependence upon you, which would be pretty tough considering you are the other side of the world and he is working.

yep that is pretty much what i thought. I kept telling him make a decision before 18 but he wouldnt listen. He lives with his dad in the UK who i know has been in his ear.

Kids! That is the single word (with exclamation mark) that came into my head when I first read your post. I guess he needs to buckle down and get a trade now, put this on ice for the future. Although he could always have that working holiday in the next few years.

Yep hes desperate to come out yesterday so i think a whv will be the way to go! I just wish the visa was extended to 21, i don't many 18yr olds who can make that kind of decision but this serves him a good life lesson i suppose

I know it is too late for you, but maybe a tip for others is to always get the visa for an under 18 year old whilst it is straightforward. Even if they are adamant they don't want to move.

Hi just been something similar ourselves. We moved in 2013 and our son then 19 was working and didn't want to come at that time and we couldn't get him on our visa as he wasn't a dependant. Anyway he came on a working holiday 417 been here over a year now but we applied for an 835 remaining relative visa which we could sponsor him on but he has to be your last remaining relative ie he has no step parents or siblings in the UK. The visa has its conditions and my son has just been accepted and given his que date but it can take up to 56 years to be granted. The only good thing is as we applied on shore he is now on a Bridging Visa which at the moment carries the same working conditions as his WHV 6 months with one employer at a time, but means he can live the rest of his life with us in Australia lawfully. This was our only option as he also didn't have anything on the skilled list. The 835 visa comes with restrictions like I said which you can apply to have lifted but how successful that will be we don't know yet. Also he will not be able to get an apprenticship or traineeship as he has to be a resident or citizen. Hope this helps it's no the ideal solution but if he wants to come and live with you may be an option. Debbs

He would appear to be in the poo! I'm not sure that WHV would solve the problem - it's like offering the sweeties then snatching them away again when he has to leave. Sad lesson learned in life I fear. In the longer term, he could train up in a trade of perhaps join the army for a trade then a few years down the track do a lag transfer but have a bit of life experience in the interim. Good luck!

Remaining Relative Visa won't be an option if his father is living in the UK. I think a WHV is his only option and hopefully he'll decide he likes it enough to look into further education when he's back in the UK so he can return on a skilled visa down the track.

Thats totally right Maggiemay, I didn't see the other post about living with his dad.

im in the process of speaking with an agent just now who is checking every crevice of visas to see what we can do! If theres a way i will find it, im expecting however he will have to get a qualification of some kind and postpone this for a bit

I thought you were thinking about returning to the UK Kellie?

Hi Ali, yes we were. I went back on my own with the baby in April, and it took me about a week and a good chat from my mum to make me realise we are defo better off here for the forseeable future. I am still quite homesick but no where near as bad as i was before i went back. I think the visit was what i needed. Also we really have very few friends here and that has been desperately hard for me as im a very social person, so i miss friends alot. Ive slowly started to make some school mum friends the last month or so. Thats been a big reason why were so unsettled at times. Then last night my son dropped this bombshell!! I could have stranged him as they say for not doing this 4 months ago when he was still 17!!!

Hi Ali, yes we were. I went back on my own with the baby in April, and it took me about a week and a good chat from my mum to make me realise we are defo better off here for the forseeable future. I am still quite homesick but no where near as bad as i was before i went back. I think the visit was what i needed. Also we really have very few friends here and that has been desperately hard for me as im a very social person, so i miss friends alot. Ive slowly started to make some school mum friends the last month or so. Thats been a big reason why were so unsettled at times. Then last night my son dropped this bombshell!! I could have stranged him as they say for not doing this 4 months ago when he was still 17!!!

Glad the visit helped you decide one way or another and I agree that making friends is a slow process - I know that's what I felt the most (particularly around birthdays/celebrations), I look at the friends I've got now and realise that they came along perhaps when I wasn't trying so hard to make them (if that makes sense). Glad you're feeling a little more settled ... and bloody Kids .... do they ever listen to their mothers lol

yep i did think of the student route, but he would need a job to sponsor him at the end? it states aswell how much he must show he has per year to live on, but im not sure if they would accept me financially supporting him instead. I have had contact with a agent who thinks he has a way of getting him here so im just waiting on finding that out