Will I still be British??

Timeforwine

Hi there,

have been in Australia for almost ten years I have 3 children with my Australian husband, all born here. I have been a permanent resident since 2007.

Im thinking of now applying for citizenship. So now for the stupid question, what will happen to my British nationality? Will my children be eligible to apply for British passports and have dual citizenship? Will becoming an Australian citizen mean I have dual nationality?

If anyone has any experiences with this or similar would love to hear from you.. I will be calling uk immigration but thought I'd ask here first!

cheers

And your children were automatically british citizens at birth but their children will not inherit this.

The children will always have the entitlement to British passports, but I doubt they will ever feel British.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to Laugh at your post. That's a new one on me. We have Three Nationalities,Three Passports British.Australian and New Zealand. We are retired now .And get 3 Aged Pensions.From each country + a British war pension. The Bit I Don't understand is? Could you please explain how a person feels less British? You Can't just become Australian or Kiwi.It's just a piece of Paper. What's that all about? Some People have some very Strange Notions. In my 35 years in Australia, or when we lived in NZ for 12 years.Everyone I have met from other countries. Always call their birth place HOME. As I do even my 4 kids do ,and they can't remember Britain.

I have to Laugh at your post. That's a new one on me. We have Three Nationalities,Three Passports British.Australian and New Zealand. We are retired now .And get 3 Aged Pensions.From each country + a British war pension. The Bit I Don't understand is? Could you please explain how a person feels less British? You Can't just become Australian or Kiwi.It's just a piece of Paper. What's that all about? Some People have some very Strange Notions. In my 35 years in Australia, or when we lived in NZ for 12 years.Everyone I have met from other countries. Always call their birth place HOME. As I do even my 4 kids do ,and they can't remember Britain.

I don't call the country I was born home, it isn't. My home is here where I live with my family.

Just as an aside - that's great to hear that you have 3 passports. I have been told by 4 people (two of which got the information directly from Oz immigration) that you can only hold 2 passports including Australian here. From my research the confusion might be that the term "dual" is used when it's interchangeable with "multiple". Hopefully 3 is ok as DH already has USA and UK.

Just as an aside - that's great to hear that you have 3 passports. I have been told by 4 people (two of which got the information directly from Oz immigration) that you can only hold 2 passports including Australian here. From my research the confusion might be that the term "dual" is used when it's interchangeable with "multiple". Hopefully 3 is ok as DH already has USA and UK.

You can hold Irish, British and Aussie here if those are the 3 countries you have nationality for. It isn't limited to 2.

Archived