Seriously, I am so pissed at Ausi, given a good chance, what to do?

kiwiathome

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It doesn't matter what uni u have been to or what school let me tell you ! My hubby was educated at at Thomas Moore the burslem college , he didn't pass with great grades at Thomas Moore , he then went on to a job in the field he wanted to go into , then did his city in guilds , then did hnc then did the engineering council exams passed hnc with distinctions passed eng council so many subject u have to do then he had to design something became ceng at age of 29 , with having a job in his field give him the experience and he didn't take a easy route they all applaud him in UK when they look at cv and say I don't know how the hell you passed those exams but we have every respect for you do you know how high the failure rate is every engineering company he went to said they would not like to of attempted them , now I'm not blowing his frock up lol because he would hate me to do that , although I'm proud of him , very much considering we were bought up on a council estate , and had not a lot as kids and we had kids young too , but he does believe that's why he is as good as he is because of those exams he gave me a reason why and I forgot now what it was lol , and he met a bloke at work name James (jim) and jim wouldn't talk to any one he was a bit of a arrogant person well he wasn't he just spoke to people who understood lol , and he taught my hubby a lot and he said ya a cheeky little bugs but you are born to engineer and you will make it to the top ! Unfortunately jim died at 46 but studying and jim being his mentor too and having a passion for it himself that's how he made it ! Actually in oz he is doing stuff he did yes ago which doesn't bother him he will do whatever ! But he's worked along top uni people and he said they have the degree but not the experience but have the potential to learn my hubby loves teaching people and he loves his job and he also loves jim haha !

My 2 nephews both went to Oxford - one to do physics and the other Eng.Lit. The one who did physics got a good job- in Switzerland. The other one couldn't get a job at all, turned into a right little snot ( I think Oxford arts students are rather swayed that they are a tad better than the rest of us!) and now lives in Spain doing English tutoring. What I am trying to put across is that Oxford is not the be all and end all and kids should go to the best uni for their particular subjects- even so there are no guarantees at the end of it.

Oh and the reason I am bringing this up now, as it is this time of year! Careers forum, expos, meetings etc. Decide! And I am not sure we are considered a normal family and meet the ideal expectations of a

family who know exactly what to do when pressured by a school for their year 10 daughter. Especially as we keep tactful, because we do not even like living in Australia!

Without wanting to rain on your parade and it sounds like you have enough on your plate could i make the following thoughts, without them being in any sensible order.

Will your eldest get into Oxbridge, competition is fierce and the numbers getting in from private schools is still high, if she applies with oz school background will she be at a disadvantage as their is still issues around class for these unis.

Can you afford for her to return to uk to private boarding school, this would get her the right background so that she has the right connections to get Oxbridge.

Getting into oxbridge is about having the right connections and the right background, i know everyone will jump on me and say it has all changed and how many from the state sector get get in, but there is still an element of what I'm saying still around, and if she has abit of a heads up from her school before going it will not be so alien.

Going back to the uk for the state schooling to get to oxbridge will need careful selection of where to live to get the right school and that means big money because houses that guarantee that access are priced accordingly.

There are a number of equally prestigious unis in the uk depending on subject which have less of a establishment flavour to them and your daughter might find those more accepting?!

Has she been to Oxbridge to suss out whether she would like the social scene there has she been to other unis to experience them.

If she is very bright, and I'm not doubting it, she maybe needs to experience what the british system has to offer, is there any way she could attend a summer school in the uk, are they available.

If she is very academic would she get a Rhodes scholarship or any other scholarship to go from oz, I'm just hypothesising here because I know nothing about scholarships, only that my wife in the 70's was sent back to the uk to do her A levels at a boarding school on a part scholarship for many of the same reasons.

Without wanting to rain on your parade and it sounds like you have enough on your plate could i make the following thoughts, without them being in any sensible order.

Will your eldest get into Oxbridge, competition is fierce and the numbers getting in from private schools is still high, if she applies with oz school background will she be at a disadvantage as their is still issues around class for these unis.

Can you afford for her to return to uk to private boarding school, this would get her the right background so that she has the right connections to get Oxbridge.

Getting into oxbridge is about having the right connections and the right background, i know everyone will jump on me and say it has all changed and how many from the state sector get get in, but there is still an element of what I'm saying still around, and if she has abit of a heads up from her school before going it will not be so alien.

Going back to the uk for the state schooling to get to oxbridge will need careful selection of where to live to get the right school and that means big money because houses that guarantee that access are priced accordingly.

There are a number of equally prestigious unis in the uk depending on subject which have less of a establishment flavour to them and your daughter might find those more accepting?!

Has she been to Oxbridge to suss out whether she would like the social scene there has she been to other unis to experience them.

If she is very bright, and I'm not doubting it, she maybe needs to experience what the british system has to offer, is there any way she could attend a summer school in the uk, are they available.

If she is very academic would she get a Rhodes scholarship or any other scholarship to go from oz, I'm just hypothesising here because I know nothing about scholarships, only that my wife in the 70's was sent back to the uk to do her A levels at a boarding school on a part scholarship for many of the same reasons.

It's all a bit academic (s'cuse the pun) anyway if she wants to do a media type of course as Oxbridge don't do them. If she decides on engineering she'll have a much better chance as girls are being very favourably looked at for those degrees.

Part of the reason for a private school bias is that private schools run things like Greek and Classics which are rare in state schools. Even languages are mainly the preserve of the independent sector these days. If kids aren't exposed to these subjects at school it's more unlikely that they'll choose to take them at degree level.

Last stats I saw... 7% of people go to private school. 45% of entry to Oxbridge. May have changed but coming from state school could work in your favour - you could gamble by shining at a state school so they could get their numbers up. I guess you have to be up for the environment too - although it looks fascinating being surrounded by hoorays could get exhausting if it's not your background too. I'd love to see more scholarships for people from poorer backgrounds to attend these universities. You can't argue - the education provided is great but we need to offer opportunities for our best and brightest and not just the polo players and pimms brigade so we can have sensible well grounded leaders for society. So tired of being governed by posh twits who haven't got a clue..

Interesting comments. Again to clarify it was only my daughter who threw up Oxford and Cambridge probably purely based on the fact that growing up in Ausi/NZ these are the two unis you hear about. On this side of the world I guess they are sold as the best and elite. As we research more into it and get some info from her school, I am sure when we visit next year these unis prob won't even factor in.

By no means have I have mentioned these unis to gain points in the "superior" factor. I do not judge someone on what uni they went to, or if they went to uni at all. So much more to a person than that. The most I know about them is from my English detective shows.

From what I can see/read the following look good for her area; web designer/developer, multimedia designer, software developer/ film television and audio etc (something like this she wants to do), is University of York, Bath, Bristol, Kent and Manchester.

At the end of the day, I think getting the chance to go to any university is damn good. Some people want to go and get hold back.

Oh and by the way Chortlepuss Australia can also be governed by posh twits who haven't got a clue.:laugh:

Oh and by the way Chortlepuss Australia can also be governed by posh twits who haven't got a clue.:laugh:

Sadly I think most places are governed by posh twits who haven't got a clue - I wouldn't like to make a call on which country is governed worse - seems to be a race to the bottom IMO. I went to York so am biased but really loved it. Heard brilliant things about Manchester - There is so much choice in the UK. I do think the fact that kids go away to do their studies is a great rite of passage - although adds to the costs obviously. It's a bit strange that kids stay at home to study here.

I have heard Edinburgh is great, beautiful place. Just wondering how hard it is to get a job in England now for the school leavers who choose not to go to uni? Obviously to get into a trade would be very helpful.

I think years back you could get away more with not going to uni. It seems to be a tougher more competitive world to me for the younger generation and going to uni or starting a trade qual is essential. Obviously with

the digital era certain jobs are becoming more important and so many are now becoming dormant.

I think the employment market in Australia is tough anyhow, even as a graduate. I will be doing everything poss to ensure my children further their study, work hard and give themselves a chance in the job market.

There is a move towards what are called 'higher apprenticeships', even for those who might otherwise go to university.Our youngest daughter has just taken her AS levels and when she goes back to school next week she'll be having lots of presentations and workshops from different post school providers. These include unis, UCAS, colleges and higher apprenticeship advisors/providers. She's at a private, selective school where most girls have gone onto traditional university courses, but there is so much more open to them all now.

I have heard Edinburgh is great, beautiful place. Just wondering how hard it is to get a job in England now for the school leavers who choose not to go to uni? Obviously to get into a trade would be very helpful.

I think years back you could get away more with not going to uni. It seems to be a tougher more competitive world to me for the younger generation and going to uni or starting a trade qual is essential. Obviously with

the digital era certain jobs are becoming more important and so many are now becoming dormant.

I think the employment market in Australia is tough anyhow, even as a graduate. I will be doing everything poss to ensure my children further their study, work hard and give themselves a chance in the job market.

I'm certainly glad I'm not young and looking for employment without any qualifications these days. I left school at 15 but went to night school to gain O and A levels. Also did a shorthand/typing/book-keeping course in the evenings which has stood me in good stead over the years. Got my veterinary nursing diploma in my teens as that was the one area I was interested in. One of my sons studied veterinary science at uni - both animal lovers :wink:

Really Bristolmen and where is your experience from living in Australia. No there is not much as elitism as in Australia as in England, I am not sure in Australia they would even no what that means.

Cheers caramac with regard to qualifications; yes what you describe is close. I prob don't really understand. Digital, media, computer software, engineering etc. ??

I have no idea what Bullingdon boys is?? but why are you bound for Tasmania??? I would love to visit Tasmania, looks more like England or NZ to me, but I see a lot on this forum no jobs and not easy. ??

When I was at uni in Perth there was an elite set of private school knobs(uwa). Didn't see it when I swapped to Murdoch uni. I'm not so much aware of it in the UK, but then I work in IT, and many co workers don't have degrees.

Most of my cousins' children back in the UK went to Edinburgh and Durham unis. Both excellent. My sons went to Sydney uni and both have very good jobs now.

My wife's cousin went to Durham and has done very well. He tried Oxford, but his father was working class and failed the interview. 30 years ago.

Still easier and more desirable to get into Hogwarts IMHO.

When I was at uni in Perth there was an elite set of private school knobs(uwa). Didn't see it when I swapped to Murdoch uni. I'm not so much aware of it in the UK, but then I work in IT, and many co workers don't have degrees.

My daughter is at UWA and there is still a high proportion students who were privately educated - she says she just smiles and thinks that they've payed all that money and she didn't and they've both ended up doing the same courses. She does enjoy it there though and will continue to study there when she has finished her degree

Then god bless your daughter Ali and you jockintas for further education. I am also studying to get back into the workforce at the old age of 44! I was desperate to go to teachers college or uni, but due to family circumstances when young not possible. But I am studying now, am grateful to still be with my man after 23 years, raising two wonderful daughters who are going onto higher education, and now trying to get into the career I always wanted. I put it on hold for hubby's career, and to raise my children.

No regrets. Now my time, but only if they are all sorted. I am excited about the future. And in this day and age isn't is wonderful when your in your 40's or older, you can still study, and still have years to do what you want.

And also, I feel it is harder for our young ones, but I think schools actually offer more support and guidance than they used to. Every school says (I think) you should only leave when have a university entrance sorted or apprentice. Their are guidance counsellors, caree counsellors, career expos, meetings etc. So I think even though life has got tougher, we are more educated, more researched and hopefully can offer more help and support to the teenagers.

My wife's cousin went to Durham and has done very well. He tried Oxford, but his father was working class and failed the interview. 30 years ago.Still easier and more desirable to get into Hogwarts IMHO.
For many courses it's actually easier to get into Oxbridge than Durham (and similar) these days. There tend to be fewer applications per place at Oxbridge because they're perceived as being more difficult to get into. There are still quite a lot of schools who don't encourage their students to apply because of this perception. It's such a shame, but goes some way to explain why there is still a private school bias (as well as the courses on offer). I know the admissions officers try really hard to get the message across to potential (state educated) students with pre uni courses and open days aimed at kids from year 8/9 upwards, but it still isn't getting through.

We do not just need to be clever to get on in the world, the people who have it all, sport prowess, academic and great personality they are the ones that succeed. Some succeed without the academic bit at all. My friends family eldest son very clever like his dad second son, middle of the road but a likeable rogue. Who has succeeded the second son, runs a business in London owns four houses in London and doing very nicely thank you. Most of the people on the forum have gifted children it seems and I have one she can get into mensa but is she successful no, she has two degrees but she does not have the other things that make us successful, she is very quiet, unassuming and very bright but that is not enough these days. You need the personality as well.

I remember years ago watching a BBC documentary about gifted children - the children who could read by the time they were 2, off to uni at 13 etc etc. Of the 6 children highlighted in the program, only 2 had a proper job. One was in America with a computer company and the other was a teacher. The others were sort of drop outs and a bit eccentric.

I am re boosting this thread after reading "moving back to UK after 10 years". Poor women. I feel for her. I am sooooo stuggling here at times, that in one way, her marriage is over, go for it girl put yourself first and move where you want.

And I hope that eventually your young children will move to where you are.

My marriage is not over, and I have two children to consider, and a career husband. But I hate living in Australia sooo much. I am a rational sane person, but just can not get my head around this country or lifestyle. I cried today watching

river cottage xmas special! I am just not a queenslander. Done 8 years, got two to go.

Because I am not finished with hubby and my youngest is only ten, you just have to keep solidering on.!

Archived