Desperate for help: profession?

mp14581

Hi

I'm a 19 year old living in the UK. My dream is to live in Australia, hopefully by the time I'm 25.

From what I've read and researched, I need to pick a career that will be eligible for immigration on the Skilled Occupations List.

I'm a smart person, I've got A grades my whole life, and of course I have the chance to go to university and study etc.

I just need to make sure that what I do will get me to Australia. To be honest, no particular career interests me, only the pursuit of my Australian dream. If I could train in a profession that doesn't require a 3 year degree and then likely training to finally be eligible, (I'm thinking save time and money), that would be ideal. Since I'm 19, I am at the final stage of eligibilty for an apprenticeship in a trade such as electrician. Would thisbe enough to get me my dream?

I'd just like to know:

1. What the major skills shortages are down under/ best and surefire jobs to immigrate?

2. If being a qualified UK electrician would get me there?

3. If my experience of the job would only begin once qualified after the 4 years of training? or the experience starts straight away?

4. How many Visas I would likely be able to be classed under, since I don't understand them (eg. the CSOL, nominated sponsorship, etc.)

Plus any other advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi

I'm a 19 year old living in the UK. My dream is to live in Australia, hopefully by the time I'm 25.

From what I've read and researched, I need to pick a career that will be eligible for immigration on the Skilled Occupations List.

I'm a smart person, I've got A grades my whole life, and of course I have the chance to go to university and study etc.

I just need to make sure that what I do will get me to Australia. To be honest, no particular career interests me, only the pursuit of my Australian dream. If I could train in a profession that doesn't require a 3 year degree and then likely training to finally be eligible, (I'm thinking save time and money), that would be ideal. Since I'm 19, I am at the final stage of eligibilty for an apprenticeship in a trade such as electrician. Would thisbe enough to get me my dream?

I'd just like to know:

1. What the major skills shortages are down under/ best and surefire jobs to immigrate?

3. If my experience of the job would only begin once qualified after the 4 years of training? or the experience starts straight away?

4. How many Visas I would likely be able to be classed under, since I don't understand them (eg. the CSOL, nominated sponsorship, etc.)

Thanks.

Hi

I understand your desire to be in Australia, but as someone who has lived there, I would advise you to spend just as much time researching your career options as you are spending in planning to "live the dream".

Australia is a great country, but its also a VERY expensive country. A bit of career planning will allow you to achieve the following:-

1. Focus on a skill that is constantly in shortage / needed within Australia to maximise your chances to get in;

2. It will allow you to understand the typical wages you can earn once you are trained and experienced - its not about the wage you start on, but the typical wage ceiling for that industry/profession that I would want to understand...

3. It will stop you making a potential unknown error or facing an unplanned event - for example, I understand qualified UK electricians still need to go through 2 years of further training when they arrive in Oz, with quite a bit of that training requiring your work to be supervised constantly, which is the long way of saying, you don;t earn that much until you get your Australian electricians qualification.

So... don't just dream it - PLAN it ;)

Hope it all works out for you

Most occupations require to do their training and then several years post qualifacation experience.

It it is impossible to say what occupation would be suitable as the occupation lists change regularly with occupatjons added and removed each time.

Therefore the best thing you can do is to go into an occupation you enjoy rather than base it on a countries visa system that may not be available down the line.

oz is a nice country, but, it is not like the TV shows. We don't all sit on the beach all day. We go to work - long hours and less holidays, we clean the toilet, we have to go to the supermarket and all of the everyday parts of life.

I find it terribly sad that you have such potential but you have no interest in any career whatsoever at 19. Are you absolutely sure there is nothing that interest you at all? Because really there is no occupation that is guaranteed to be in demand by the ti ex you are ready, maybe doctor or nurse stands the highest chance but even nurse is not the given it once was.

Hi

I'd just like to know:

Thanks.

The occupation lists change very regularly, so no one can guarantee what occupations will or will not be on the list in 6 years time. In terms of changes to occupation lists and Australian immigration rules, 6 years is a very long time; visa classes and eligibility rules change frequently. Having said that, in terms of professions and prospects to migrate to Australia, doctors are engineers are in my opinion likely to remain high in demand in Australia. But these are very challenging courses at university to pursue, and having the academic ability for them is often not enough - the desire to actually be a doctor or engineer is equally important for getting you through the years of long study and difficult exams. I remember from my university days people who were incredibly bright, achieved top marks in school, and went in to these courses simply because they could, without really knowing what they wanted to do in life. They had the academic ability for the courses, sure, but they didn't have the passion for it; university life offered them better ways (in their opinion) to spend their time - through social clubs and societies, the student bar, etc.. and of course then they struggled in the exams, maybe failed and repeated and year, and then ultimately dropped out completely, saying they never wanted to be a doctor (or engineer) anyway. So I wouldn't recommend pursuing a particular university course simply because it might be a good one to get you to Australia.

If you want to live in Australia in the longer term, then realistically, you are going to need to complete a university degree. Australia wants skilled migrants, and having a university degree is part of the "points" assessment. Being an electrician is an option, but it is not an easy path for migration to Australia. You will need not just the qualification, but also lots of experience before being able to migrate to Australia.. and even then there is no guarantee that you will be able to get work in Australia as an electrician. You would be competing against those who qualified as an electrician in Australia and perhaps who have Australian experience (this is why you would need to at least have a few years experience post-qualification as an electrician before maybe being able to migrate to Australia and find a job).

Have you considered coming out to Australia now, perhaps on a Working Holiday Visa? You could spend up to 2 years in Australia, and that would give you time to see whether it really is a place that you might want to live longer term. That would also give you an opportunity to see for yourself what the job market in Australia is like, maybe get an idea for yourself what occupations are in demand. If at the end of the Working Holiday, you still have the Australian dream - perhaps even more so having spent the time there and checked it out for yourself, then you could go back to the UK, and hopefully by then have a better idea of what career you might be passionate about, and motivated to get through the university course, knowing what you will need to do to qualify in a career, and get back to Australia on a skilled or other visa. Contacts that you would make in Australia - friends that you would make and potentially employers that you would meet, may also help to improve your prospects of finding a longer-term solution for staying in Australia.

I would try hard to think about what you love doing and what you're good at - you're going to be working a long time and doing a job you love should be more important than which country you live in. Long term think science and technology - science and maths teachers, IT predicted to be long term shortage professions - get as qualified and experienced as you can to improve your chances. And study the shortage list in detail - for example I think boilermakers were on it (whatever they do) and I knew someone whose hubby was one and getting well paid...Doing a working holiday is a great idea - if you love it you'll have more motivation to try hard to get over here on a more permanent basis.

Given that ABC reported last week the australian medical association forecasts three thousand unemployed doctors by 2020 I wouldn't bet on that.

Engineering has has one of the highest unemployment rates in oz at the moment. A number of proffessional bodies such as AUSIMM have made formal representations to have most engineering roles removed from the occupation lists.

Choose a career that you love not one that might or might not get you living in a place you might or might not want to live in forever. Use your brains to get you the best doing what you love to do. If that happens to get you to Australia then bonus but you're going to be a long time earning a living and as you grow older what you want out of life may change - you may find yourself anywhere in the world before you pop your clogs! Have a passion for what you do because you want to do it - one first world country is much like any other.

You're going to be working for a long time,and personally,I would definitely choose wisely a career that you would potentially enjoy.However its a risk,that you undergo all that training,when it might not be on the SOL list.

You're still very young,so I think myself I would go for the WHV and check out all possibilities whilst there.

Hi guys

Thanks for your replies.

The consensus here seems to be to choose a career that I like rather than career that will likely get me in.

I don't want to make a bad decision/ mistake on studying something I may not enjoy/ want to do if I am trapped in the UK which is why I felt electrician (as free training, and presumably always a trade skill in demand) would be a safer bet? I figured I could always study at uni after that if electrician couldn't get me a visa and I would probably have more of an idea of other careers that interest me.

The thing is, I see occupations like locksmith and think how hard can that really be to qualify as and move?

Studying Law at uni is one thing Im looking at as it can give me decent career prospects here in the UK. But I've heard bad things about the eligibility of UK solicitors barristers and lawyers in moving to Oz. Can you practice in Australia with a UK law degree?

In terms of other careers I'm interested in, the police service and detective have always interested me, but they don't require any qualifications for me to join, and are not on the SOL. Therefore I'd rather pursue something on the SOL, and try that if my dream doesn't pan out. (Also police and detective are on the CSOL I believe, what's the deal with that? Are you just as likely to get in with th

Have any of you kept an eye on the SOL over the past few years? Would be intesting to know if there were any trends and how drastic changes have been to the list and which occupations have been consistent.

Hi

Law is a fantastic career - but not if you want to get to Australia! I have practised for 15+ years and still have to jump through various hoops to be qualified overseas.

TBH I think that there are very few careers that are immediately transferable. I completely agree with the other posters that you should choose a career that you will love. You may get to Australia doing one job but you will be working for 50 odd years - take your time to make the right decision!

I agree with what some posters have illustrated. i find it sad that you have no particular interest in what career you may choose and place more emphasis on being in Australia. I am experiencing in your post, what my life skills have taught me, and that is, sometimes, those with a lot of intelligence (as you seem to infer that you have), often have the least common sense.

Problem solving is based on common sense not intelligence so get that common sense into gear. How high do you aim? Nurses are always on the list, as are doctors.........how much do you want to compete? What are your salary goals? I've known doctors that have felt "limited" in Oz due to their expeience not being challenged, I've also known nurses enlightened by their Oz experience due to more autonomy and their experience being challenged.................I've also heard the reverse.

If your priority is getting here, then the medical profession is always an assured route, but is it for you, and more importantly. is your priority in getting to Oz realistic, and indeed, I would question how healthy that need is if, as it seems, you put it before career.............your career IS your life.............it's where you'll spend at least a third of your life..............nay...........half of your waking life

Hi!! I don't think you should choose your career based on what is going to get you into Australia in 6 years time, it really is impossible to predict what is going to happen to the sol list.

Have you ever been to oz?

If you dont know what you want to do career wise would you not take a year out and go on a WHV you can extend it for a second year, this will give you time to see the country and really think about what you want.

You could also do your studies in oz it is expensive depending what you are studying and the length of the course but there are other option I don't think you need to be putting too much pressure on yourself.

Even if you stay where you are and get your qualification you can still get a WHV up to the age of 30.

The SOL changes so regularly there is no point in looking at it now for what may be there in a number of years.

To be eligible under most trades - that includes lock smith - you are looking at an apprentership of about 4 years followed by several years post qualifacation experience. So even if you start now, you are looking at maybe 7 years and that is seven years of regular changes to the sol with occupations being added and removed each time.

The entire system is likely to be unrecognisable by then as every year it changes.

Will add, law is a wonderful thing to study. But, to be able to use as a means for emigrating, it is not as simple as just getting a law degree. You would need to work hard - something that would need you to be enjoying it - as you then need to either do a post grad in either legal practice to be a solicitor or bar finals to become a barrister. Places on either are competitive and require good grades.

Both are notoriously intense courses. Then either two years as a trainee solicitor or a year as a pupil to be a barrister. Then, get some experience in the proffessionn to be eligible to pass the skills assessment. Then, once in Australia you would need to undergo some retraining to enable to practice. So, not a quick fix.

Hi, you are only 19 and have plenty of time yet to decide. My son is 24 and has only recently qualified as a chef, which luckily is on the shortage list. He still needs to gain 5 years work experience though so he's going out on a working holiday visa for 2 years and hopefully can get sponsored by an employer to stay for permanent residency. If not he'll nip over to New Zealand after to gain more experience.

I would suggest if you really want to go, then just get a working holiday visa first, try it, see if you like it and hey, it might lead to better things. There's also the option of studying out there too if you do eventually decide on a career, or you could meet the man of your dreams!!

You only live once... Go for it and good luck

Archived