Your FAILURE to settle in Oz

Perthbum

Only you can be the judge of whether you have failed because only you can know what you set out to achieve. But since you seem to post a lot on PomsInOz, it seems to me that living in Australia is something that still matters to you and therefore I suspect the fact you didn't settle does weigh in your mind as a failure.

Not at all, maryrose today called me a "failure " as have many for not settling in Oz, it was an honest question on a forum which as usual has been seized upon by the "angry brigade" and yet again they throw a hissy fit at me....you have to laff :cute:

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No problem with someone who has lived here, didn't like it and went back to the UK. But to then constantly go on a forum called Poms in Oz and post things that you personally didn't like about Aus and Perth seems a bit of a waste of time to me. Your life though PB, you could be on a thousand forums for all I know.

Oh I don't know. Before I moved I found it really helpful to read about the downsides, I don't know how useful it would have been to only read about the good stuff. I think it was useful to know that it doesn't pan out for everyone and some people will come back and some will stay.

I get a lot of replies stating "it was your FAILURE to settle in Australia...Is it really a failure if you try it but prefer somewhere else?

I guess that would depend on how you looked back on your experiences in Australia. If, say, you said, 'Australia was a great place but I missed England too much', fair enough, but what if you said, (repeatedly) 'Australia is a horrible place, and I couldn't wait to escape,' well, that might draw more negative comments.

Not at all, maryrose today called me a "failure " as have many for not settling in Oz, it was an honest question on a forum which as usual has been seized upon by the "angry brigade" and yet again they throw a hissy fit at me....you have to laff :cute:

You repeatedly make negative comments about Australia, and many of those comments are just 'opinions'. Just as a matter of interest, do you ever tell people what a great place Australia is, and how you would recommend it to anybody?

You repeatedly make negative comments about Australia, and many of those comments are just 'opinions'. Just as a matter of interest, do you ever tell people what a great place Australia is, and how you would recommend it to anybody?

Maybe he doesn't think that, in which case he wouldn't be recommending it.

Maybe he doesn't think that, in which case he wouldn't be recommending it.

There's nothing wrong with criticism, as long as it is 'objective', not 'subjective', in which case it becomes more of an opinion. Just to give an example, if someone came here and said that 'commuting in Sydney is an awful experience because the roads are inadequate and there are too many cars, with the result that people spend two hours and more commuting each way to work.' I'd have no problem with that, but if someone said 'Sydney is a stuck in the past, and the people are horrible,' well, that is just an opinion, and I will always challenge that, and expect some facts and figures to back it up.

I get a lot of replies stating "it was your FAILURE to settle in Australia...Is it really a failure if you try it but prefer somewhere else?

Not as far as I'm concerned mate. It's a pretty big world, and if one place doesn't do it for ya, then there are plenty of others to choose from. Sounds to me like you're living in one of the best parts of the UK anyway, so you've done alright for yourself.

I had a failure at eating frogs legs. Thought I'd try them, just out of curiosity. But to be honest they were so like chicken I really didn't see the point. Plus they are fiddly, and then they are frogs legs. Just weren't all I thought they would be cracked up to be. Guess I'll just have to live with that failure.

I don't look at people as failures.Atleast they had the guts to give it a go!Sometimes things don't go to plan,and that can happen anywhere.Are you classed as a failure if you emigrate and miss you family so return?Failure if you can't get a job no matter how hard you try?Alot of things have to fall into place for people to settle,and for some it just doesn't.

What negatives? I only post my experiences.

But its true....

This is where you let yourself down

Generalizing and mostly about Australia and how to put it down

You and a few others should start your own forum

Bitch-About-Oz

I'll never say a bad word about the UK (it was not working for me) but so many great memories

I'll always have honest words to say about Australia (Good and Bad)

Plus anything I said about the UK would be pretty old and things would've changed

Whereas what I say about Australia is what I see on a daily basis

After all it's only a forum right

Guest The Pom Queen
This forum is for those wanting to move to Australia

I'm here to offer my advice to those asking the questions

As I live here I can offer said up to date advice as I am living it myself

Not really Howard, this forum is for everyone, in fact if we went off the title no one in the UK could post and if you weren't a Pom you wouldn't be able to post. This forum is for EVERYONE to share their experiences good or bad.

Guest The Pom Queen

How can people be failures? I think the ones who have gone back are a lot stronger than the rest of us.

Eventually we may return, I am 101% adamant I don't want to and I would return kicking and screaming but because I'd returned would I be a failure? When I see how some people are treat for going back I cringe and think one day it could be me that's being attacked.

I wonder how many people are on here who do want to return but are so worried about getting grief.

This is where you let yourself down

Generalizing and mostly about Australia and how to put it down

You and a few others should start your own forum

Bitch-About-Oz

I'll never say a bad word about the UK (it was not working for me) but so many great memories

I'll always have honest words to say about Australia (Good and Bad)

Plus anything I said about the UK would be pretty old and things would've changed

Whereas what I say about Australia is what I see on a daily basis

After all it's only a forum right

Generalising about mostly Australia? I wonder why that might be on an Australian Forum? I think the message that your camping out well is given but others are coming from other personal perspectives both good and bad so the Bitch about Oz comment is hardly relevant. Only a forum is right, and as for the reality posts ,my advice would be to ignore if somehow upsetting your perspective or possibly in danger of bursting your bubble.

There's nothing wrong with criticism, as long as it is 'objective', not 'subjective', in which case it becomes more of an opinion. Just to give an example, if someone came here and said that 'commuting in Sydney is an awful experience because the roads are inadequate and there are too many cars, with the result that people spend two hours and more commuting each way to work.' I'd have no problem with that, but if someone said 'Sydney is a stuck in the past, and the people are horrible,' well, that is just an opinion, and I will always challenge that, and expect some facts and figures to back it up.

Not every utterance or written response needs to be an academic objective piece. Sometimes something from the heart or subjective can be far more revealing as to how things at ground level are found. Most would have the wisdom to realise it is from a personal insight.

People have lots of different experiences in their time in oz as we all lead different lives and are different people. As a result, some will move to oz and return to their home country for a million different reasons. I even know of one case of a family who arrived at the airport and didn't get as far their accomodation because they realised they couldn't get their favourite soft drink!

among friends who have left, I know some that despised Oz with a passion, I also know some that loved it and miss it. But none are failures. They are leading their lives.

We have lived and worked in a number of countries that are all very different. Each has offered things the others can't. But none - including oz and the UK are perfect. Just different. I always find it interesting that I know a number of African people who have moved to Oz and the UK and didn't last and went home. Even though home is a mud hut.

Archived