Johnny Depp's Dogs

FTA

http://www.theguardian.com/film/australia-news-blog/2015/may/14/johnny-depps-dogs-must-bugger-off-to-us-or-face-death-after-entering-australia-illegally

I know a lot of people will say he deserves it, but I think this could have been handled much better.

Despite what customs think, there is a chance that his dogs don't actually have rabies, and simple quarantine/privacy measures could have been put in place to keep everyone happy.

Customs are trying to make a point.

However the media just portray Australian customs as dickheads, and the message is "don't bother sending anyone to Australia to make a movie".

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It was the headline in our paper this morning

It's made headlines all over the world.

I just saw Barnaby Joyce on TV.

Would love to see Depp exceed the 72 hours and force Barnaby to rethink his stupid statement.

If you think executing 2 drug smugglers generates sympathy, just wait and see the international outcry with 2 cute little dogs on death row.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Maybe he'll ring me for a computer repair job lol

Just remember, when you get his hard drive, the contents are confidental.:wink:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/australia-news-blog/2015/may/14/johnny-depps-dogs-must-bugger-off-to-us-or-face-death-after-entering-australia-illegally

I know a lot of people will say he deserves it, but I think this could have been handled much better.

Despite what customs think, there is a chance that his dogs don't actually have rabies, and simple quarantine/privacy measures could have been put in place to keep everyone happy.

Customs are trying to make a point.

However the media just portray Australian customs as dickheads, and the message is "don't bother sending anyone to Australia to make a movie".

I don't see the need for death threats on the dogs. But otherwise, Depp does deserve it, he cannot flout the rules just because he is famous.

I don't get any message about making films though, only message I can see, is don't try to sneak your animals into Australia, no matter who you are.

Funny, I've never walked through a park in France and wondered, what if I was attacked by a rabid dog? How many cases of rabies are there?

Funny, 'scientists' introduced Rhinella marina; formerly Bufo marinus into Australia to kill off the sugar cane beetle...

Funny, poms introduced Lepus curpaeums (the rabbit) into Australia for their pleasure.

And so on...

Cheers, Bobj.

Funny, 'scientists' introduced Rhinella marina; formerly Bufo marinus into Australia to kill off the sugar cane beetle...

Funny, poms introduced Lepus curpaeums (the rabbit) into Australia for their pleasure.

And so on...

Cheers, Bobj.

Bobj, when we flew to Australia with our kids, we declared our infant formula, (which was from NZ ironically), and promptly had it confiscated. When we arrived at my parents, our mail had been redirected, and said formula was in the post, as the company had sent us a sample.

The things you speak of where deliberately introduced. I really do believe that if Australia adopted the same quarantine standards as the UK they would be no more at risk.

But assuming you are right, why risk the delay? The dogs should have been destroyed and burn instantly, along with all dogs that have attended the pet parlour since there arrival. You can't be too careful.

Guest Guest66881
i hate celebrities who think the rules dont apply to them

Anybody in my book and anyone who wants to say different can take a short walk:wink:

Bobj, when we flew to Australia with our kids, we declared our infant formula, (which was from NZ ironically), and promptly had it confiscated. When we arrived at my parents, our mail had been redirected, and said formula was in the post, as the company had sent us a sample.

The things you speak of where deliberately introduced. I really do believe that if Australia adopted the same quarantine standards as the UK they would be no more at risk.

But assuming you are right, why risk the delay? The dogs should have been destroyed and burn instantly, along with all dogs that have attended the pet parlour since there arrival. You can't be too careful.

Like foot and mouth and mad cow diseases??

My brother, on returning from a holiday with me, took back 10 pkts of garden seeds and 5 types of cuttings, including frangipani. He was not stopped by the UK customs...

Cheers, Bobj.

Good choice, why stay in a backward country with stupid rules...his dogs are probably cleaner than the majority of bogans.

Yes in some ways it is a backward country however as someone who works in the Agriculture/Horticulture here i feel stongly about this situation. We have rules regarding our biodiversity for a reason to protect our primary industy as well as our native flora and fauna. Can you imagine how much damage and probably death would occur if say rabbies or any other disease got loose here. Regardless of how clean/cared for these dogs our they pose a risk. Rabbies and other diseases can be dormant for quite a while before symptons appear by which time it's too late. Which is why we have procedures we do to insure nothing suspect or disease carrying is brought in. Rules are rules and i hope the full force of the law is brought down here. ( I doubt it will though) I suspect if the owners of these dogs were not high profile they would already be dead. Rightly so in my opinion.

Edited by Guest

I assume you are referring to your continued residence in the UK, a country with similarly strict quarantine laws to Australia?

Actually that isn't the case, the UK has moved into the 21st century, dogs just need to be immunised and vet checked, no quarantine from many countries.

Yes in some ways it is a backward country however as someone who works in the Agriculture/Horticulture here i feel stongly about this situation. We have rules regarding our biodiversity for a reason to protect our primary industy as well as our native flora and fauna. Can you imagine how much damage and probably death would occur if say rabbies or any other disease got loose here. Regardless of how clean/cared for these dogs our they pose a risk. Rabbies and other diseases can be dormant for quite a while before symptons appear by which time it's too late. Which is why we have procedures we do to insure nothing suspect or disease carrying is brought in. Rules are rules and i hope the full force of the law is brought down here. ( I doubt it will though) I suspect if the owners of these dogs were not high profile they would already be dead. Rightly so in my opinion.

The problem is many of the procedures are outdated and downright antiquated. Dogs going TO the UK now are vaccinated against rabies then tested for the presence of antibodies, if they pass then they are zero risk and are allowed straight in after a vet check.

I have said before that if you bring a pair of shoes in your container and customs find them they want them cleaned if they find a hint of dirt on them, fair enough you say but nobody ever looks at shoes at airports so really what is the point ? Many of the procedures are so they can be seen to be doing something.

The problem is many of the procedures are outdated and downright antiquated. Dogs going TO the UK now are vaccinated against rabies then tested for the presence of antibodies, if they pass then they are zero risk and are allowed straight in after a vet check.

I have said before that if you bring a pair of shoes in your container and customs find them they want them cleaned if they find a hint of dirt on them, fair enough you say but nobody ever looks at shoes at airports so really what is the point ? Many of the procedures are so they can be seen to be doing something.

I agree with you, there is no need for animals to go into quarantine whatsoever, it is totally outdated and unnecessary. However these dogs were smuggled in on a private jet by somebody who presumably didn't think the rules applied to movie stars and accordingly, the paperwork was not checked.

I agree with you, there is no need for animals to go into quarantine whatsoever, it is totally outdated and unnecessary. However these dogs were smuggled in on a private jet by somebody who presumably didn't think the rules applied to movie stars and accordingly, the paperwork was not checked.

Absolutely right and we all know how Aussies love their paperwork lol. That idiot Barnaby Joyce is an embarrassment.

Like foot and mouth and mad cow diseases??

My brother, on returning from a holiday with me, took back 10 pkts of garden seeds and 5 types of cuttings, including frangipani. He was not stopped by the UK customs...

Cheers, Bobj.

Have you had a look at your coastline mate? Not much point bolting the door when you have no walls.

Plus, mad cow wasn't imported, it was created here. Not sure about foot and mouth, but it has been around for years. Still, protection is a good way of keeping local prices up.

Edited by newjez