Moving bk to UK or stay for passport? What do I need to think about and advice please

thelaurakate

I would really appreciate everyone's thoughts on this ... I've been here 5 years now, PR application is nearly all in just need the last few pennies to pay for it. I know there's no rush t get it but soon as I do then quicker I can get the passport. Trouble is for the past year since my last visit home to UK I've just not got over the homesickness. I'm heading back again in 3 weeks for a visit and know I'm not going to want to leave. I know the UK has its Down sides but I feel like I've done oz now, the void of having no family around you just isn't going away, despite the beautiful beaches! I think I should wait another year or so for the passport but I just feel like I want to start my UK life again... I have a loan here so if I left I'd still had to pay that obviously but what would I need to do to set up in UK again? And more importantly what do I do? Has anyone missed the UK that much that they don't regret going bk? Do I stick it out to get the passport? Being away was fin when I was living th dream and exploring new countries every year but Tbh this country try is so expensive I'm always struggling and can't afford to go away anymore, now I'm just living and working but on the other side of the world to my family! Not feeling happy or settled is horrible... Would really appreciate people's opinions x

Hi very stormy,

i just dont know know if I will change my mind one day and I heard if you get your passport your children will get it as well? Ha not that I would want my kids to leave me as I have done to my mum! Plus wouldn't I only get 2 years to make my mind up as if you spend more time out than in you can loose PR?

Hi very stormy,

i just dont know know if I will change my mind one day and I heard if you get your passport your children will get it as well? Ha not that I would want my kids to leave me as I have done to my mum! Plus wouldn't I only get 2 years to make my mind up as if you spend more time out than in you can loose PR?

If you get citizenship, then yes your future children will as well. I assume you are talking about future children and not ones you have currently?

It sounds like this adventure is over for you and you don't sound likely to return to me. I got citizenship not that long before leaving, not by design, change of circumstances led to us leaving reluctantly. But I look at that passport and it feels like a bit of a waste. You actually might get better closure and be able to move forward better if you don't have it there.

If you get citizenship, then yes your future children will as well. I assume you are talking about future children and not ones you have currently?

It sounds like this adventure is over for you and you don't sound likely to return to me. I got citizenship not that long before leaving, not by design, change of circumstances led to us leaving reluctantly. But I look at that passport and it feels like a bit of a waste. You actually might get better closure and be able to move forward better if you don't have it there.

Hi bungo, thanks for your message. I think you may be right. Yes I was talking about future children. Mayb I feel so homesick as have never met anyone in oz aswell. So you are in the UK now? How do u find it after oz? How long were you in oz for? I think I will get PR and head back :)

I would wait for the passport myself. With processing times, etc., you'd be looking at maybe 18 months more here. If you decide you're going to head back then that will give you time to save up money and plan the move OR get round and see some more of the region. If you make the call that you are going back then you might treat it more like a gap year and really enjoy it, you never know.

Any kids would become Australian citizens once they're born then, with lots of potential benefits for them in the future.

I would really appreciate everyone's thoughts on this ... I've been here 5 years now, PR application is nearly all in just need the last few pennies to pay for it. I know there's no rush t get it but soon as I do then quicker I can get the passport. Trouble is for the past year since my last visit home to UK I've just not got over the homesickness. I'm heading back again in 3 weeks for a visit and know I'm not going to want to leave. I know the UK has its Down sides but I feel like I've done oz now, the void of having no family around you just isn't going away, despite the beautiful beaches! I think I should wait another year or so for the passport but I just feel like I want to start my UK life again... I have a loan here so if I left I'd still had to pay that obviously but what would I need to do to set up in UK again? And more importantly what do I do? Has anyone missed the UK that much that they don't regret going bk? Do I stick it out to get the passport? Being away was fin when I was living th dream and exploring new countries every year but Tbh this country try is so expensive I'm always struggling and can't afford to go away anymore, now I'm just living and working but on the other side of the world to my family! Not feeling happy or settled is horrible... Would really appreciate people's opinions x

By passport do you mean citizenship and passport?

It is worth while having, especially as your kids will have a connection with Australia now, and in future years could go and live there. It would make life easier if you had the passport.

Personally if you can stick it out I would, get your citizenship and it just gives you more opens down the road. You don't need to get a passport, your citizenship will allow you to re enter Australia whenever you like or not of course.

Personally if you can stick it out I would, get your citizenship and it just gives you more opens down the road. You don't need to get a passport, your citizenship will allow you to re enter Australia whenever you like or not of course.

You generally do need a passport to re enter Australia, but it doesn't take long to get the passport. There are odd occasions when you don't. If you already have a visa when you take citizenship you may get in, (my kids did this), but they won't let you take out a new visa on your UK passport if you have Australian citizenship.

I have shared this story before but fwiw my wife (married 12 years now) lived in Oz in the 90s in a LTR. She was happy there and gained her citizenship but after the LTR ended could not really justify staying on (with elderly mother at home etc). Fast forward 15 years and she is returning in July with her new family. She did not necessarily hope for it or expect it. The important thing is that she (and I by extension) has a choice which otherwise she would not have done being over 50 now.

She was not hanging on there for citizenship so totally different in that respect. I only mention this because needs and priorities can change. Tough call though.

I know it's stating the obvious but......

You have five years to return on a PR and if you felt at the end you wanted to go you could "probably" obtain an RRV for another year.

The passport gives you unlimited time.

Personally I would obtain the passport and switch off when I returned to the UK, rather than keep thinking "If I want to move back my window is X amount of years".

You generally do need a passport to re enter Australia, but it doesn't take long to get the passport. There are odd occasions when you don't. If you already have a visa when you take citizenship you may get in, (my kids did this), but they won't let you take out a new visa on your UK passport if you have Australian citizenship.

I didn't mean you could re enter just with your citizenship, I meant it would be possible to re enter without going for a visa etc. You would need a passport.

I would wait for the passport myself. With processing times, etc., you'd be looking at maybe 18 months more here. If you decide you're going to head back then that will give you time to save up money and plan the move OR get round and see some more of the region. If you make the call that you are going back then you might treat it more like a gap year and really enjoy it, you never know.

Any kids would become Australian citizens once they're born then, with lots of potential benefits for them in the future.

Im lucky that I have done the whole of oz when I first got here. also I know 18 months would fly but then its still 18 months ... lost to think about

By passport do you mean citizenship and passport?

It is worth while having, especially as your kids will have a connection with Australia now, and in future years could go and live there. It would make life easier if you had the passport.

yes citizenship and passport, would be good to have but if I know I don't want to live my life away from my family then kind of whats the point?

I have shared this story before but fwiw my wife (married 12 years now) lived in Oz in the 90s in a LTR. She was happy there and gained her citizenship but after the LTR ended could not really justify staying on (with elderly mother at home etc). Fast forward 15 years and she is returning in July with her new family. She did not necessarily hope for it or expect it. The important thing is that she (and I by extension) has a choice which otherwise she would not have done being over 50 now.

She was not hanging on there for citizenship so totally different in that respect. I only mention this because needs and priorities can change. Tough call though.

hi thank you for sharing. Its hard as knowing I would still have to wait for it and do I want to wait where im not happy just to get it but yes I could want to come back one day... who knows! also if I was to leave before I got my PR I could take my super which would set me up in the uk!

Has anybody left without getting PR? when I think about the cost of PR (visa $4k) and then getting my super back aswell this would set me up in the uk. it might just have to be a decision I have to live with tho if I don't got for PR. But I feel like ive done all I came here to do now and don't think I want to live here for good, so why not take the money and run so to speak. decisions decisions....

Hi , I don't really know what say to you on waiting on ya pr , I am in UK now and I have a tick chart Australia verses UK , so far UK is winning lol , I entered UK and I honestly felt at home right away . It's weird really , although my teeth chattered at the airport in Manchester my son laughed and said its not that cold lol , give out nice next week though . I carny explain how I feel but I feel normal if that makes sense I have my mojo back lol good luck whatever u decide :)

Has anybody left without getting PR? when I think about the cost of PR (visa $4k) and then getting my super back aswell this would set me up in the uk. it might just have to be a decision I have to live with tho if I don't got for PR. But I feel like ive done all I came here to do now and don't think I want to live here for good, so why not take the money and run so to speak. decisions decisions....

Generally I would say - belt and braces and get citizenship however if the bonus is a bit more financial security by releasing your super rather than have it dwindlingly languishing in a foreign country that you have a 50/50 chance of ever wanting to live in again I'd probably say take the money and draw a line. Sometimes having a choice down the track is just more of an agony - there's something liberating about drawing a line.

hi thank you for sharing. Its hard as knowing I would still have to wait for it and do I want to wait where im not happy just to get it but yes I could want to come back one day... who knows! also if I was to leave before I got my PR I could take my super which would set me up in the uk!

Because I am 54 I do worry a little when folk talk about cashing out their Super to set them up. I see their point especially if they do not envisage an Oz retirement but I always feel too many younger Brits (under 40) do not consider the importance of pensions enough wherever they are in the world (not saying this is you btw). Too many people of my age that I know gripe that they are probably going to have to work until they are 70 and really hate the thought and they are openly envious that I can get by retiring this year. But they do not blame themselves for not contributing to their pension (and I know that they could have but chose to spend more money than I over the years on discretionary purchases).

My general advice would always be to keep as many options open for your future as you can. Don't burn any bridges you don't have to.

If I was in your situation I would leave. Mine is slightly different. I'm just under a year from citizenship and have committed to staying. However the minute I get my passport I'm off home. I have PR though and can't withdraw my super until retirement. If I was still on a 457 (I'm assuming this is the visa you're on), I'd leave, take the money I'd set aside for PR and cash out my super. Get on with life. Instead I have this little person in my head saying 'you've already spent the money on PR and can't take out your super, may as well stay for the passport..'

Guest Guest98336

Getting Super back means you will have the corresponding number of years reduced pension contributions so you should not consider Super as a savings account you can cash-in!

If I was in your situation I would leave. Mine is slightly different. I'm just under a year from citizenship and have committed to staying. However the minute I get my passport I'm off home. I have PR though and can't withdraw my super until retirement. If I was still on a 457 (I'm assuming this is the visa you're on), I'd leave, take the money I'd set aside for PR and cash out my super. Get on with life. Instead I have this little person in my head saying 'you've already spent the money on PR and can't take out your super, may as well stay for the passport..'

tbh I think I am going to leave.. if I had of already got my PR I think I would stick it out aswell but yes on a 457 atm and being able to get my super back would set me up in the uk... best of luck to you. the passport will be worth it to have but it is hard as if your going back the second you get it whats the point? buta s you say you already have your PR

Getting Super back means you will have the corresponding number of years reduced pension contributions so you should not consider Super as a savings account you can cash-in!

yes sorry I don't mean it to sound like im just after the money god not at all but it would help go towards getting me on the property ladder in the uk, so it would still be invested.

Hi , I don't really know what say to you on waiting on ya pr , I am in UK now and I have a tick chart Australia verses UK , so far UK is winning lol , I entered UK and I honestly felt at home right away . It's weird really , although my teeth chattered at the airport in Manchester my son laughed and said its not that cold lol , give out nice next week though . I carny explain how I feel but I feel normal if that makes sense I have my mojo back lol good luck whatever u decide :)

ah that's good to hear thank you. I know England is cold an my god I love the sun but you kind of get over it. as amazing as oz is its not a hot England. I miss the countryside and the woods and dog walks with my mum. the idea of coming back is more exciting than staying here so I think my mind is made up :)

Archived