Hit in the side of the neck with an orange

Red Rose

Hi guys

Was just walking up the road to the local IGA when I felt a massive thud in the side of my neck from nowhere and next thing I hear is laughing from a couple of cars that have passed me (it is dark so didn't get number plates). I looked down and saw an orange had been thrown at me. My neck is pretty red and I am sure it will bruise a bit. I feel a bit light headed probably from the shock of it. If I don't get a headache or anything like that can I assume that I'm probably ok and no need to go to the docs to do any blood tests etc. I just worry about the dangers of being hit in the side of the neck with a hard and fast object. Feeling a bit annoyed right now, was having a good evening up until that point.

Thanks

It's a bit childish of the perps, but going to docs / being shocked about it is a bit overkill don't you think?

Silly prank I know, but you're not made of glass, promise you you're a lot tougher than you think you are :)

It's a bit childish of the perps, but going to docs / being shocked about it is a bit overkill don't you think?

Silly prank I know, but you're not made of glass, promise you you're a lot tougher than you think you are :)

An object thrown from a moving vehicle is a serious issue. Even if the car was cruising along at a relatively slow 40kph in an urban area, that's potentially a 40kph whack on the head from a fairly dense object. What if it hit a child or an elderly person?

I'm not here to argue - just pointing out that human bodies really are resilient. I'm not entirely a spring chicken either at 35. @Red Rose says that his / her neck is pretty red and will most likely bruise, that's indicitive of it not really being all that hard.

I’ve had a broken arm, separated shoulder (twice), broken collarbone, broken ribs, broken toe, permanent scars on my shin, got knocked unconscious and far too many scabs, scrapes and smaller inconveniences to catalogue. This is not a “I’m harder than you” response, just an observation that an orange to the neck at low speeds, won’t be much more than an annoyance to shrug off.

Ps: I’m not a doctor, and the above does not constitute as medical advice. If you feel like you’re circling the drain, please go see your doc

I think its a serious issue myself.Actually Im pretty tough but if I was walking alone in the dark and some car passed me and an object from it hit me,I would find that pretty scary.For one you wouldn't know what the object was until it landed on the ground,secondly you'd be worried incase the morons driving the car were coming back to do something far worse,and the orange could of taken someone's eye out!

OP Hope you are ok and I would lodge a report to the cops.

Phil Hughs the cricketer DIED from being hit in the side of the neck.

with a cricket ball, thrown by a professional bowler..

Accepted but they are still both hard objects thrown at speed, and you dont know if the person that was hit might have had a weak artery or similar and the results could have been very serious. As previously stated, it could have been a child or elderly person and if hit on the temple again serious results could have happened. Personally I am sick of many of the youth of today who have little or no respect for anyone but themselves.

I'm not a doctor but I think if you have managed to get yourself home and hop onto the net to write about your experience you are probably OK physically.

In your position I would probably be more in danger of an aneurism brought on by being angry that I couldn't catch them and give them a smack around the head.

I think its a serious issue myself.Actually Im pretty tough but if I was walking alone in the dark and some car passed me and an object from it hit me,I would find that pretty scary.For one you wouldn't know what the object was until it landed on the ground,secondly you'd be worried incase the morons driving the car were coming back to do something far worse,and the orange could of taken someone's eye out!

OP Hope you are ok and I would lodge a report to the cops.

Now, if it had been an apple...

I'd say when in doubt check it out, even its for your own piece of mind . Having said that this is coming from someone who had a broken finger for 5 days before I got it checked because I didn't think it hurt enough :laugh: Its still got a slight kink in it.

Hey guys,

thanks for the replies, I admit I was being a bit of a drama queen, although it really hurt (8/10 pain level) and my neck is still a bit tender. Really annoyed actually with people, clearly the intention was to hit my head area and do damage.

I may log an online report with the police just so it is on record.

Cheers

It could have been one of these new drive-by food shelters. Perhaps they were donating you an orange? :D

I kiid I kiid, glad you're feeling better today.

Im guessing then if you post you've been hit,you'll be laughing about it?

Yes, most likely, or at least would have tried to get even (that would be a lot funnier)... I have decent aim :)

If it did peeve me off, then it wouldn’t have lasted more than a few minutes. I don’t really get easily upset, particularly over what I see as harmless pranks.

Hope your feeling in less pain now, I would log a police report in case they are also doing it to other people local in the area. If you start feeling dizzy/headaches then seek medical advice. I feel your pain I had something simular happen to me when I was bike riding with my daughter last year they hit me luckily didn't hit my daughter. Was so so angry.

Archived