IELTS v.s Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) | My personal findings

supercow

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I sat both the IElTS and PTE, I would recommend the PTE Academic over IELTS. I'm a native English speaker and didn't get the disired result with IElTS. I needed to achieve a high score, to award me with Superior English. Although PTE was also difficult, it was easier than IElTS to achieve high marks. I watched E2 language support tips on youtube, and sat some mock exams online to prepare. 

• 3 weeks later...

PTE is easier than IELTS. I scored good marks in PTE. I checked all the tips and tricks given on youtube. In PTE, you just have to be fluent and confident. Content is not important, fluency is important. In PTE exam, do not leave any question unanswered. Complete your Test in given time. If you do not know the answer then too, speak something. Do not study too hard. Everything is on tricks.

• 1 month later...

PTE is not an ‘easier’ test than the IELTS it is however a much more professional atmosphere when you’re undertaking the test and more fairly marked (computer based as opposed to a person). I undertook the IELTS three times and each time received 8 or above (usually 9) in reading, listening and speaking but 7.5 each time in writing. Yesterday I undertook the PTE and scored 90 (equivalent of 9 in IELTS). Clearly the IELTS’ subjective marking approach is failing test takers unfairly. What’s also unfair is that IELTS do not give specific feedback as to why your score was below par. 

Overall I would recommend PTE, not because it’s easier or because I received the desired score but because it’s a fairer system. 

• 1 month later...

In what sense Torres? people want to achieve certain scores for different reasons.... most likely to achieve the most points by getting 9's

For the Thread

I did Ielts x 2 and Pte x 1

If you are a native english speaker, go for PTE... if youre not go for Ielts... PTE is pretty fast paced and if you have to re-read questions, you probably won't have time.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi guys ,

I need a small help

I’ve submitted my 186 visa Direct Entry Stream  application through the company I work for 2 months ago . The question I wanna ask if anyone knows is, my wife as a secondary applicant got a IELTS result few days ago overall score 5 , W-5.5 L-5.5 R-4 and S-5.5 . Has she failed considering that one of the bands it’s less then 4.5 in this case R-4 but still overall score is 5. As a secondary applicant she have to pass Functional level of English but I can’t really understand what is saying on the immigration web page does it each band has to be at least 4.5 score or just a overall score of 4.5??? I know that secondary fee if she don’t pass Functional English is around $5000 . If anyone knows anything about this pls share the information guys I would much appreciate 

thanks 

I sat the PTE-A last week in Manchester, so here is my advice. Most of this is obvious, and already out there, but here it is anyway!.

• The test is taken entirely on computer, and marked by computer.
    • This is good because it is scrupulously fair.
    • Its a bit impersonal because you wont speak to a real person. - this was a plus point for me, as I am a shy antisocial type!
    • It also carries with it, quirks of how it is marked. Some question types are totally straightforward and there isn't much you can do to prepare, but some questions are tricky and require knowledge of what the computer is looking for to do well.
  • Even if you are a native English speaker, you should at the very least familiarise yourself with the question format, and have some strategies of how to deal with those questions. You have to remember you are looking to satisfy a computer algorithm rather than a person.
  • You should take an official PTE-practice test very early on, so you can focus on areas to improve on. The practice test was exactly the same format and "feel" of the real test, and the scores done in the same way, by the same marking algorithms. My scores were almost identical between the practice and real test.
  • The question types I would spend most time preparing for and practicing are :
    • Essay - use a structure ( intro, argument for, argument against, my opinion / conclusion)
    • Re-tell lecture
    • Summarise lecture
    • Describe image
  • I found the speaking parts of the real test very challenging, as you take the test at the same time as many others in the same room, and you can hear them speaking. Everyone is trying to do their best, loud, clear BBC newsreader voice so it can be very distracting. You need to just focus on your own test which is hard to do.
  • The test can take up to 3 hours, but I was out of the room after less than 2 hours, I don't think I rushed anything, but I didn't use the 10 minute break, and after I answered each question moved immediately on to the next. I guess pacing is a personal preference but once I was in the zone I felt better banging through the questions rather than dwelling on them. 

For preparation, I used "E2 PTE Academic" free videos on youtube, where strategies for all the question types are presented, and which worked really well for me. Highly recommend their youtube channel, I have no idea what their paid courses are like. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/04/2019 at 11:41, JRC said:

PTE is not an ‘easier’ test than the IELTS it is however a much more professional atmosphere when you’re undertaking the test and more fairly marked (computer based as opposed to a person). I undertook the IELTS three times and each time received 8 or above (usually 9) in reading, listening and speaking but 7.5 each time in writing. Yesterday I undertook the PTE and scored 90 (equivalent of 9 in IELTS). Clearly the IELTS’ subjective marking approach is failing test takers unfairly. What’s also unfair is that IELTS do not give specific feedback as to why your score was below par. 

Overall I would recommend PTE, not because it’s easier or because I received the desired score but because it’s a fairer system. 

Yes I would agree with you on the same. It's the perception of the person taking the test. Both the PTE and IELTS are equivalent in nature. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for this information. I need to write an essay on this topic and currently, I was researching that.  I also prepare for IELT and you know there are so many milestones that I need to go through. I even start to use this service https://essaypro.com/write-my-essay.html for learning how to write an essay, additionally, I practice a lot. 

It does not rock science, but you need to make a lot of efforts to reach your goal. And the most important thing is faith. To believe that you will be able to make anything you want.

And sometimes it is too difficult. You need to be disciplined and make many small steps in your direction. So this is nice journey in the name of Life. Believe in what you do and believe in yourself. This is the most valuable things to succeed in your aims.

On 23/08/2019 at 09:32, kimboslice said:

hi

can anyone tell me what they mean by stage 1 and stage 2 for the skills test for the 189 visa.

mark

Stage 1 will be submitting all your docs,quals and showing your work experience, if they are happy with that then you will do an interview or practical test.

• Thanks 1

To claim the 20 points do we need to sit the academic ielts or is general fine? I sat the academic ielts for my skills assessment and got 9,9,8.5, 7, with the 7 for writing. 

Is the general test easier to score a 8 in writing? I didn’t practice much and just went and sat the exam. Would prefer if I dnt have to sit ielts more than once again. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sat the ielts twice now and feel it’s set up to fail. The writing task should have more time in my opinion. Also the time in between sitting the reading writing and listening and then having to come back 4 hours later for the speaking is ridiculous. My mind wasn’t switched on fully in the afternoon sitting the speaking test. 
that being said hopefully I’ve done enough this time, if not I’ll be sitting the pte next. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

IELTS is paper based exam were you can read and write your answer. PTE is a computer based exam. It is required for assessing the English language skills of a person. It is valid for many universities and institutions all over the world. You need maximum 9.0 band in IELTS and in PTE 90. You can also do the PTE and IELTS coaching classes for pass out.

If you are looking to get an 8 or above at IELTS I would say don't bother with it, and go straight for the PTE. I sat the IELTS General test last week as I couldn't get booked on to a PTE on the days I had available. The writing is pretty much impossible to get an 8. I got a 7.5 and I write and edit copy everyday for my job. Here's an example of a 7.5: https://www.ielts-practice.org/psychological-illnesses-may-not-be-as-obvious-as-physical-disabilities-or-illnesses-band-7-5-ielts-essay-sample/. I'm sorry but I would say this is superior English and worth an 8. Particularly when you compare it to the simple questions on the reading and listening sections (I got 9 on those).  I joined a free webinar on task two before the test and the host told us that we would lose marks if we put information that wasn't relevant (and I disagreed with the examples she gave, I would argue they were relevant). So they are not just testing your English but your knowledge too? Sounds wrong to me. And very subjective. 

Plus, on the speaking I was asked to speak continuously for two minutes but I wasn't allowed to see the timer. That's really hard - and is no reflection of my English. I am sure I dropped half a mark here because I paused before the two minutes was up (I got an 8.5). 

I'm managed to get booked on to the Pearson next week, fingers crossed!!

Agree....don't bother with IELTS as it's complete waste of time.

Just save your money and time and go with PTE... IELTS is designed to make you fail as writing with pen on paper is ridiculous these days.

PTE is far more practical and real life so I would recommend it anyday over IELTS.

Mt reasons below:

I had a similar issue where my target score needed was 8+, managed to get 9 on all other sections in IELTS but never managed to cross 7.5 in writing (simply because we have all become so used to trying on keyboard rather than writing manually, so no doubt writing will become illegible thereby not highlighting the real reason for the test which is command over English). 

So after 3 wasted IELTS attempts to secure over 7.5 in writing, I turned to PTE. And in one attempt, had 90.

Furthermore, if you want to retake IELTS, the nature of the test means you have to wait for a fortnight to book (not to mention the wait time to receive your IELTS score). So approx a month wasted before you sit another.

With PTE, you usually get your test results in 2-3 days (I got mine next day) so gives/saves you valuable time if you did not achieve your desired score the first time round.

PTE definitely way forward especially if you require a higher ecore. (And want to save money and time).

All the best.