Second hand wedding dresses - thoughts please!

H283

With the prices of weddings getting out of control imho,buying a second hand dress would be quite resourceful I think?I would'nt have a problem buying a 2nd hand wedding dress,but after two marriages?Im giving up the ghost of ever marrying again!:laugh:

With the prices of weddings getting out of control imho,buying a second hand dress would be quite resourceful I think?I would'nt have a problem buying a 2nd hand wedding dress,but after two marriages?Im giving up the ghost of ever marrying again!:laugh:

If the bride is 2nd hand, might as well get a 2nd hand dress. :laugh:

Orginally I was not keen on the idea, but now I think that there are better things to spend the money on to be honest, as long as you are not compromising.

You still have to love the dress and be comfortable in it. If this is from a second hand dress - why not?!

I got my handmade for me, to fit my measurements based on the style of a designer dress I wanted via website in China.

It came beautifully gift boxed, fit perfectly and was as nice as any of the expensive dresses I had tried on...

It cost £65!

We wanted a quiet, discreet registry office with just us and the children and the whole day with champagne and a meal out cost of no more than £350. It was my perfect day.

Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue.

A secondhand wedding dress could fit into all but one of those categories.

Id offer you the OH's, but we had a seamstress chop the bodice off it to frame and the train was made into cushion covers.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Wish I'd got a second hand one - spent £650 on mine and by the end of the night it was muddy and ripped (too much dancing on a packed dancefloor!). My mum has it as she wont let me sell it on (I'm sure a decent seamstress could re-vamp it). It's not like I'll ever wear it again and you see so many beautiful dresses that are pre-loved.

Guest guest90395

I bought mine second hand, I didn't really plan to but we had a second hand shop in Edinburgh and I went along to have a look. I ended up with 2 I really liked and as they were about £450 cheaper than anything I'd liked new I decided to go for it. I then sold it back to the same shop for 40% of what I paid so it cost me about £150 and I absolutely loved it.

I also bought my veil on eBay for £7! I wasn't sure about getting one and wanted to try wearing one for s while to see if it would stay in my hair. So I just ordered a really cheap one and when it arrived it was perfect!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Honestly wouldn't have a problem with this. I doubt I'll ever be in a position where financially it makes sense to go all out on a wedding dress, as nice as that may be (not saying all 1st hand wedding dresses cost the earth) :)

Honestly wouldn't have a problem with this. I doubt I'll ever be in a position where financially it makes sense to go all out on a wedding dress, as nice as that may be (not saying all 1st hand wedding dresses cost the earth) :)

We had a really basic wedding ,church wedding, reception cake and drinks back at my parents home, married in a nice two piece white woolen suit and hubby in a smart suit and hey, celebrating 50 years wed this October lots of people thought we were pregnant , not so,we had put a deposit on our first home and couldn,t afford a flash wedding

I`ve rented mine. It was nicer than whatever I could afford if I bought one. Buying a dress never even crossed my mind but I am not a sentimental girl I guess :wink:. I don`t know what I would do with a wedding dress afterwards - have it hanging in the closet? With us moving around the world I don`t see me towing a wedding dress around.

I had a full on dress, complete with train. However I picked a dress that could be adapted to an evening dress afterwards (removal of some bits distinctive to a wedding dress - e.g. beading down back), and I had it shortened to just about knee length, got some of the petticoat taken out etc. I ended up with a dress you could liken to a Marilyn Monroe style... I wore it again for my first wedding anniversary. I would have worn it on subsequent years but I have lost weight and it no longer fits... but I got to wear it twice, my husband loved it...

The rest of the dress is ready to be made into a christening gown.

Archived