Customs and chocolate!!

Ninny

Hi guys,

this is is prob a silly question but we land in Perth in June to move into our new forever home!! We ha e friends who moves a few years back and are missing good old UK chocolate, my question is can I bring this over in my cases for them or will customs not allow as its dairy? They have asked for a Galaxy and dairy milk stash, not planning on bringing cases of the stuff just a mixture of different types if possible!

Thanks in advance!!

Ninny x

Hi - you should be fine taking chocolate in. I took quite a lot of dairy milk chocolate when I went over last year - I wasn't sure either whether it would somehow be classed under dairy so declared it on the card and mentioned it when I went through customs. They weren't bothered about it all (other than wanting some for themselves :cute:) Good luck with your move!

Just ensure you declare it on the card, they will ask you what it is then most likely wave you through. Not sure on Perth but at Brisbane we have found that when you declare something like that then you usually get directed pass the bag xray process, which saves a little time and the hassle of lifting bags off,on, off, on.

have a nice trip and life!

Dairy Milk is simply a brand name. Dairy is milk, cheese, cream, butter, yoghurt etc, not chocolate. FYI, wine gums do not contain wine

I am sure the op knows this boganbear, but as they stated chocolate contains dairy, therefor you have to declare, and as customs advise if you are not sure then declare and they will advise. From experience customs are very appreciative of you for declaring anything and everything, and at the end of the day it takes the worrying away from yourself does it not!

Dairy Milk is simply a brand name. Dairy is milk, cheese, cream, butter, yoghurt etc, not chocolate. FYI, wine gums do not contain wine

But dairy milk does contain milk that probably came from a dairy.....

Best bet is to declare all food, I have taken chocolate they just ask and wave you through.

Thanks Guys,

ill go ahead and purchase enough to satisfy their cravings!! Who knew wine gums didn't contain wine lol, always wondered why I never felt drunk after eating a large amount ;)

ill take ale your advice and declare all, saves any hassle in customs! X

I love it at Brisbane when they bring out the beagle sniffer dogs, and people have to run the gauntlet and you get a number of people swerving off remembering that they do have food in their bags after all. I've had no problems with food/chocolate but do keep it handy in my hold luggage so it's easily accessible if they want to see it...

Last time we flew in from the UK they had changed the cards. You used to have to declare all food items but now there is a specific list of things you need to declare. Read what is on the card and declare anything that comes under those categories. And no, chocolate isn't dairy but if you feel safer declaring it then declare it.

• 1 month later...
Since you can buy UK chocolate in Oz - the above exercise is a waste of time

Maybe there are some obscure UK brands not available here. But many of the most popular and common ones are.

Even my local Coles and Woolworths in Sydney have a British section full of imported cakes, tinned food, chocolate, sweets, biscuits, cereals, drinks, etc....

Otherwise loads of online stores to choose from, for example:

http://www.britishsweets.com.au/

http://www.thebritishlollyshop.com.au/

http://www.treatsfromhome.com.au/

http://www.britishfoodfocus.com/shops_british_expats.asp

Since you can buy UK chocolate in Oz - the above exercise is a waste of time

After many years of bringing in mountains of Thorntons I can assure you that firstly you can't get all Uk chocolate here, and secondly its generally more expensive!

bring it in by the truck load!

After many years of bringing in mountains of Thorntons I can assure you that firstly you can't get all Uk chocolate here, and secondly its generally more expensive! bring it in by the truck load!

I get your point. But Ninny didn't mention ALL chocolate - Ninny specifically mentioned Galaxy and Cadburys, both of which you can buy here.

I brought a Galaxy bar last month and it cost me $1.00 – which I thought was pretty cheap.

Anyway I already said above “except for some of the more obscure brands”. So yes, I already noted not all chocolate.

I class Thorntons and Bournville as being pretty obscure - with the more common brands being Cadburys and Nestle.

Having said that, you can buy Thorntons here too

To me it just seems a bit odd to lug these thousands of miles across the world; if you can already get them here at a decent reasonable price.........But each to their own!

I love Thorntons, but have found a chocolate in Australia which is much nicer.

Archived