Frustration even if is a short time in immigration standards

pih5ped

I am suppose to do VCE as I am turning 17, but I am currently overseas because our VISA expired so we had to renew

at that time, I thought it would be simple, it would come on time I expected

But what I see is, I think the immigration has closed their eyes on this, how are they still processing October applications for 186? Really? I thought they were done 1-2 months ago? Are they actually trying?

And the worse news is, I would probably get disadvantages and consequences for not being able to study, and the only reason people get consequences is when they stuff up their studies, and I can't even study overseas because there are no options and I am dead serious, I can't even attend normal school because they won't accept me because I would have no ability to do anything

Is anyone the same aged as me? Anyone?

Hi - sorry to hear about your situation. Are you supposed to be in Year 12? If so, then you would almost certainly have to wait now until next year to join a school/college and do VCE. I know that's probably not what you want to do, but for a variety of reasons many people either sit out a year or repeat a year (e.g. health issues, relocation issues, stuffing up assessments, etc.) I know it seems like a crisis now, but looking back in 20 years' time it will seem like nothing.

You do sound like you are in quite a predicament and not one I have seen before. But sorry, I think you need to hold your parents responsible for putting you in this situation, not immigration. Immigration set out their processing timelines and if anything, they are a bit quicker than stated for a lot of visas.

I'm in Year 11. Haven't been feeling well after we had to go back. But my parents never knew the processing times, and I hate to repeat Year 11 (Year 12 would be ok if I did distance Education)

If you have just gone offshore, you might be lucky and get the visa processed quickly enough to rejoin school in Year 11. But it would be better to accept that you might have to take a year out and restart Year 11 in February - there is no point in setting it up as an insurmountable obstacle because it could happen. The same would happen if you got unlucky and went down with glandular fever or something. Repeating a year is neither here not there in the grand scheme of things.

No, I am feeling bad because of this

And I searched whoever repeated Year 11, not many people have repeated it. And that I searched through the net. And if I do, I can't study properly because I would have pressure because of this. I have enrolled last year then the result came in that we have to leave

And how is it my parent's fault anyway? I'd like you to feel the same as I do

Look, sh*t happens. The question is how you are going to deal with it.

There are three possible outcomes:

1. your visa comes through soon and you are able to pick up where you left off

2. you have to start Year 11 again and you make the best of it

3. you quit school and spend the rest of your life asking people whether they want to go large.

Your choice.

No, I am feeling bad because of this

And I searched whoever repeated Year 11, not many people have repeated it. And that I searched through the net. And if I do, I can't study properly because I would have pressure because of this. I have enrolled last year then the result came in that we have to leave

And how is it my parent's fault anyway? I'd like you to feel the same as I do

You were blaming Australian immigration, which I thought was not right because they are not responsible for your education and have a lot of people applying for visas, there is a queue and these things take time. However I am surprised that your parents did not consider the impact on your education better when they made the choice to move you without having a good visa in place at your age.

Still it is done now and you will have to play the hand you have been dealt.

No, I am blaming them because exactly last year, things were faster. My parents cant send me to school because I cannot study anyway. Tell me how is it my parent's fault? Why do I pay the price when there is nothing to do? I feel it is unfair because this factor is really rare and I contacted the school and got this response.

Plus I already enrolled at my school last year before we had to leave

No, I am blaming them because exactly last year, things were faster. My parents cant send me to school because I cannot study anyway. Tell me how is it my parent's fault? Why do I pay the price when there is nothing to do? I feel it is unfair because this factor is really rare and I contacted the school and got this response.

Why can't your parents send you to school wherever you are now?

Sh*te happens I'm afraid, just have to make the bestof it, thats the way life goes. Think yourself lucky times are quicker tha they were 8-10 years ago when people waited 4 or 5 years for the applications to be processed.......

Cause I am in South Korea. Standards are higher and my parents think I won't have the ability to study for a credit. I lived in Australia for 10 years

Plus, I mentioned my issue is quite quick for the immigration standards

Edited by pih5ped

Processing times speed up or slow down as it suits Australia, not as it suits any applicant.

Your parents chose to move on a temporary visa with a teenager, it is a risk that has not paid off for you or them unfortunately. But it was definitely their choice, perhaps you should sit them down and ask them to help you come up with a plan.

I came here as a 7-year old. Lived for 10 years. For fk sake stop blaming my parents. I have been feeling crap because I am going to get held back and no one repeats Year 11 and if they do, it is because they performed bad for the whole year, I searched it and not many results come out and most of the responses makes me feel bad. I came for needs so what I can do which I cannot do.

Yeah caused no one faced this issue, I am not the only one waiting but it goes for everyone

Plus give me a suggestion of what my parents could have done when schools cannot accept me because I cannot meet the Korean standard, Parents didn't know how long it could have gone for, and other factors

Edited by pih5ped

I came here as a 7-year old. Lived for 10 years. For fk sake stop blaming my parents. I have been feeling crap because I am going to get held back and no one repeats Year 11 and if they do, it is because they performed bad for the whole year, I searched it and not many results come out and most of the responses makes me feel bad. I came for needs so what I can do which I cannot do.

Yeah caused no one faced this issue, I am not the only one waiting but it goes for everyone

Plus give me a suggestion of what my parents could have done when schools cannot accept me because I cannot meet the Korean standard, Parents didn't know how long it could have gone for, and other factors

You say you can't study in South Korea - are there international schools where you are where you can continue studying?

If you are serious about returning to the VCE - you can try to keep up with the work your peers would be working on at school. You can't teach yourself everything, but if you're motivated you can probably source the VCE textbooks from overseas (or even get an electronic version or something).

Good thing is for some VCE subjects, units 3 and 4 (i.e. Year 12 units) are separate to units 1 and 2, so essentially a different topic is covered so you could get away with not doing units 1 and 2 and still not fall too far behind. Others like mathematics you'd be expected to know and use content from Units 1 and 2. From memory the VCE certificate itself might also require you to do a minimum number of Units 1-2, but there might be exemptions etc around it if you are joining at Year 12 level.

And what doesn't make sense to me - what visa were you in Australia with before? Could you not return on a student visa while this other visa is being processed?

Thanks for the response

I did send some work in, but they cannot contact me without me contacting them until I get a news on this

I have some of the books I brought with me from Australia

International Schools do not work I suppose, and they aren't easy to get in

I was a TR for 10 years, student VISA won't work because our family was ineligible for a TR (but not a PR), and parents may be concerned of my welfare even if I came alone

Edited by pih5ped

I can understand why you are upset and frustrated, but your situation sounds complicated as to why your family was not able to lodge an onshore application, likely due to onshore refusal. What ever the reason this can impact the processing of a new application, which may take longer or may be refused again.

Processing of 186 visa are relatively quick compared to Australian citizens sponsoring partners and children which can take 12 months plus.

You may have to look at other options at completing your education if your family's visa is refused.

Repeating a year of school won't be the end of the world, even if it seems so at the moment. Immigration processing will take as long as it will take. At the moment 186 visas seems to be taking an average of 6 months. When I got mine, it took less than 2. Processing times for almost all visa categories is taking much longer due to higher volume of applications, more thorough screening, etc. If your parent's earlier visa application was refused, it may cause additional scrutiny of this application as well.

The best you can do at this point is focus on what you CAN do, not what you can't. Talk to your school about possibilities to complete work online or from overseas, Look at options for online courses, etc.

- Repeating doesn't matter for me if it is a Year 12 issue, cause I can just study at home and repeating Year 11 feels like a stab to the chest because I am gonna be traumatized, ashamed and unfair because it is a rare case, and whats the point of going to the same school if that happens? It would be better to leave...

- I did complete some work given because of request, not many words said because the schools wants to know when I am coming back when MAs dont know about it either

- 6 months? Not really...except for delayed ones, I don't get it, some took less than a month, some takes forever. I am calling it crap because last year things were a bit ahead

- How does the previous record affect the new application? We would have been told about it

I don't think repeating a year is going to be as bad as you think it is. I'm sure it's not that rare. I'm afraid it's something that you can't speed up no matter how upset you get. Wait for the visa, it shouldn't be too much longer if the application has been handled correctly. You will than have to deal with the situation, when you know what it is.

I know it's stressful but just try and be patient. This is out of your hands.

This will be my last contribution on this thread - as we are all just saying the same thing.

Basically, it is your life and it is up to you what you make of it. If you complete school, you are likely to have more choices open to you, and they will stay open for longer. Completing school is the sensible choice.

Repeating Year 11 may be irritating and may require you to change your thinking a bit. But in 20 years’ time, it will seem like a small effort to make to achieve a big difference in your life. You say you are worried about people thinking you have failed if you repeat Year 11. I doubt that they would think that, especially if you explain about the visa thing. But becoming an actual failure for the rest of your life just to avoid a bit of awkwardness now is madness.

Also, blaming people isn’t going to help you. If you spend the rest of your life flipping burgers in McDonalds or rounding up trolleys in a Coles car park, none of your school-aged colleagues will care whether it was your fault, your parents’ fault or DIBP’s fault. They will just see a grown up doing a teenager’s job and avoid you. Is that the future you want for yourself?

Your choice.

Unfortunately you can't delete your life and your situation is what it is. There is a chance that you won't be able to return to Australia - there is no guarantee on visas and so you will have to make the best of what you've got - in fact it seems that your best case scenario is that you return and go into year 11, just a year later than you had planned. If a school won't take you then you can go to TAFE. It's not Immigration's fault that your parents have put you in this situation and they need to be working out how you can make the most of being in your country of origin in case a return is not possible. It's unfortunate that you have come to think of yourself as more of an Aussie because being TR you were always likely to have to return. Blame is a waste of energy. Good luck, it'll all work out in the end, one way or the other.

Um...get over it? Sorry but year 11 can be repeated, and indeed you'll have to repeat it if you want your VCE.

Also I'm sorry but yes it is your parents fault as others have said for not ensuring they made the application in plenty of time so you wouldn't have to leave the country to get the visa renewed; you're under the age of 18 so in Australia you're their responsibility.

It might be stressful but sorry; as Frank Sinatra said, that's life.