Is there a reccesion looming.

duffer34

It obviously suites some but the odd day is plenty for me. I remember Mandurah as a small town. It grew too fast and too opulent. What's with so many deserted houses of statue alongside the canals? A place with a lot of social issues and associated problems.

My take on it these days is rather superficial and something of a satellite city to Perth.

Only been a few times and most of those were when we've had visitors to do the canal trip. Called in on our way back from Augusta last year and it's improved a lot, with a nice foreshore and a decent pub where we got a meal.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We used to have a timeshare in Portugal. Place called Praia Da Oura. Loved it, used to go for a week in our nice timeshare apartment right by the beach and then get a cheapy in the same village for another two weeks or so. Great food, nice people, lovely uncrowded beaches then. Would have been late 70's early 80's, when Albufeira was a sleepy little fishing village.:laugh:

I've looked at it on google maps and was devastated to see miles and miles of high rise hotels all the way between Albufeira and where our time share was, with hardly any room on the beaches.

When we looked into emigrating at the embassy they compared Perths coastline and climate to the Algarve and that swung it for us.

We had thought how lovely it must be if we could have lived and worked in the Algarve but Portuguese would be a tough language to learn well enough to hold down a job. That's if there's any work around there, other than tourist trade. We got to know a lady who rented her apartment to us and her husband worked in Lisbon a lot due to lack of jobs. Coming here seemed the next best thing and we didn't have to worry about a language problem.:cool:

There's an Algarve Way in Hillary's.

wheres the euro a pint place in Hilary's...?

Thanks paul , I will do :) and me hubbies never been out of work here it's just where lol it will be timing for you and some also and he's never been out of work in UK neither since being here he's scratched around for bits of work which does not suit him he needs be using his brain needs get his teeth in a project from the off and he knows he won't be out of work but where I could easily access him in UK by car if need be no u don't sound selfish it's each to its own but I know the lifestyle I lead and I'm not leading it here atm although anything can happen things Change ect but I'm still going for me holiday and again at Christmas son finishes school November worlds my oyster haha we shall see :):)

Forgot to mention, been watching the program about the London tunnel. It's been on SBS on Tuesdays. Really interesting, enjoyed the Engineering problems they've had the get round.

Forgot to mention, been watching the program about the London tunnel. It's been on SBS on Tuesdays. Really interesting, enjoyed the Engineering problems they've had the get round.[/quote

its all over my head really engineering haha but my hubby knows he is looking at stuff all the time when we out lol :)

We used to have a timeshare in Portugal. Place called Praia Da Oura. Loved it, used to go for a week in our nice timeshare apartment right by the beach and then get a cheapy in the same village for another two weeks or so. Great food, nice people, lovely uncrowded beaches then. Would have been late 70's early 80's, when Albufeira was a sleepy little fishing village.:laugh:

I've looked at it on google maps and was devastated to see miles and miles of high rise hotels all the way between Albufeira and where our time share was, with hardly any room on the beaches.

When we looked into emigrating at the embassy they compared Perths coastline and climate to the Algarve and that swung it for us.

We had thought how lovely it must be if we could have lived and worked in the Algarve but Portuguese would be a tough language to learn well enough to hold down a job. That's if there's any work around there, other than tourist trade. We got to know a lady who rented her apartment to us and her husband worked in Lisbon a lot due to lack of jobs. Coming here seemed the next best thing and we didn't have to worry about a language problem.:cool:

There's an Algarve Way in Hillary's.

Never keen on The Algarve particularly. Although did enjoy Sagres a lot in the early 90's. You need to go further north to escape mass tourism. Although I know a number of great inland locations for beach I usually head for Nazare although quite like the scene outside of Lisbon as well.

I don't think you can compare Perth's coastline with Portugal. There's is far more accessible but equally good beaches. For those that like remoteness and that does have advantages ,but for atmosphere and a few other considerations give me Portugal.

When the time comes Australia has reciprocal agreements towards paying the pension in that country. I will seriously consider. It gets cold in winter though so probably a half year thing if it ever came off. Or even a one off thing for a year.

When some of the formatting associated with a quote is missing, it will be attributed to the wrong poster. When several posters copy posts with bits missing, it gets harder and harder to sort out who posted what and who is actually being quoted.

Don't get me wrong, I do like Perth and particularly Mandurah. I am actually a 20 minute drive south of Mandurah in a very quiet small suburb by the beach on The Cut golf course. I have a nice house, though not ostentatious - a single story with a very nice view.

But, as going back to the original issue, we are finding it just too hard economically. If, we have to move, I will be sad and my wife devastated. But, it may not be our choice.

We we have both lived and travelled a lot, both for work and pleasure. We have enjoyed and been very privalaged to have experienced some of the best beaches in the world and some incredible places. But, now, to be honest, I am bored of beaches. I was never a massive beach person. We live close enough to the beach here that I can here the waves breaking, but, I rarely go. Maybe once or twice a year.

I found Sweden an incredible place, and would very happily live there in the far north. But, I don't think it is likely to happen.

The work life balance from our experience in oz has been significantly worse in oz than elsewhere and, for my profession, getting worse, as companies shift rosters in an attempt to cut costs. Even when I was Perth based, I found it was a poor balance as far too much a competition to be seen to be working long hours. Even when I have had good FiFO rosters such as 8/6, it hasn't been good, as my 6 off would usually require at least 3 days in the office in perth attending meetings and probably at least a day or two working from home and also being on call day and night. I suspect it varies by the persons proffession, but the mining industry here is the most inefficient I have seen anywhere in the world, which for proffessional staff makes major problems.

All very confusing this as a new person here has just posted that they are moving from the UK because the Oil & Gas Industry has dipped there.

I read the post, but there has been a big downturn in all oil / gas producing countries for the same reason. There have been several thousand redundancies in the sector in Perth.

That's the point though VS. Where I live and the people I hang around with the laid back lifestyle, as you call it, is the norm.

None of the people I know work long hours, some work FIFO sure, but they get the time off that goes along with it. We saw people surfing in Bournemouth when we were there on holiday but they had full thick wetsuits on complete with bootees and hoods. My son said why would you bother. I called him a wuss at the time but never felt the inclination to learn to surf until I came here. Used to windsurf a lot but again, 5mm wetsuit, freezing when you come off the water. Did it through winter a couple of times but it's so much more enjoyable here.

It is easy to get a flight over to somewhere like Spain or Portugal but there is the time it takes to get to the airport, through customs, pay for the hotel, then all it does is make you more depressed when you get back and long for the next holiday. Here I never feel like that, I can have a blast every weekend and even in the week I'm doing something that feels like I could be on holiday.

That's why we came here VS and it's lived up to it. My wife has always loved the beach, not as sports mad as me but she goes for a run at weekends and keeps herself pretty fit. She enjoys being down the beach with other wives though and they generally sit there chatting.

We've been on holiday to other places, Bali last year and lots of places in Aus and we never feel depressed when we get home. Actually I'm usually ready to get home to get back into my routine, I miss my toys too much when we are away.:cool:

My parents hardly ever go to the beach, and they never swim in the sea. They are in oz for the cycling, and it is hard to beat.

My parents hardly ever go to the beach, and they never swim in the sea. They are in oz for the cycling, and it is hard to beat.

Yes cycling is good, both road and mountain biking. We are going on a 40KM mountain bike ride on Sunday. Should be a nice morning out. It's the Railway Reserves Heritage Trail and we start off in John Forrest National Park. It's a nice easy one but lovely countryside.:cool:

In the news today about the Brazilian Miner Vale cutting production and investment there and it's expected that it will trigger a bit of a bounce in the Iron Ore price. Hope they're right.

Bit of a war of words going on between Twiggy and Rio and BHP bosses. I reckon Twiggy is speaking common sense and he has a lot more skin in the game than either of the other two, who are only CEO's on fat salary's and bonuses.

Guest Guest66881

Thanks for the wisdom and crystal ball futures, noted and in back pocket:wink:

A 10 year recession based on what?

Plus surely if you manage to get a stable job and pounce on a crashing housing market whilst the going is good you too could be a winner.

Jobs are normally first to go so as a new migrant very hard to get anything stable.

Those already here especially WA and set up may well laugh but this state is all about boom and busts. The fast declining resource industry boom was massive. It took time to impact upwards as it will to head southwards. Many haven't seen a recession.

Not a good time to come to WA at all. One cannot say durations like ten years but I suspect we will return much to normal, being something of a secondary feature to the big populated states.

WA is way over priced in housing and in general. Expect corrections even if the resistance against it is strong. Housing being a prime example. A reduction in migration and especially short term working visas including WHV's long over due.

uk now at full steam ahead oz looking on way down so you move to oz now just to endure more pain. I don't gamble but if I did I would know I backed a loser. The only winners are the ones who sell up now & come back.

Any tips on the boxing this weekend.:wink:as well

Archived