Thai Airways

ToowoombaBlue

We are flying to the UK in a couple of months for a few weeks, but are yet to book the flights. I've seen a great offer with Thai Airways, but with them not being one of the more popular choices I would be interested to hear any of your experiences with them.

Many thanks

I've flown with them a couple of times and they were amazing. Last time the plane was pretty empty and my husband and I had a row of four seats each. And the food is GREAT. And they give all the ladies an orchid (I'm easily bought lol).

It's 20 years since I've flown with them but they are rated a 4 star airline here (and you can read passengers' reviews).

http://www.airlinequality.com/Airlines/TG.htm

However, it was revealed this week that a couple of countries have recently banned them because of safety concerns - which is a bit of a worry.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/australian-watchdog-turns-up-heat-on-thai-airways-after-bans-in-other-countries/story-e6frfq80-1227289723000

I notice that the UK papers have similar stories.

Thanks for your replies. It seems that there is just over $2000 difference between Thai and the other popular airlines for the three of us which makes it so attractive. It's good to hear positive reviews.

My wife is scared of flying so the report on safety concerns is a little daunting for her...... So that's Malaysian Airlines out of the question, no matter how cheap they are.

However, it was revealed this week that a couple of countries have recently banned them because of safety concerns - which is a bit of a worry.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/australian-watchdog-turns-up-heat-on-thai-airways-after-bans-in-other-countries/story-e6frfq80-1227289723000

I notice that the UK papers have similar stories.

The wording of some of these headlines is quite misleading with respect to TG.

The issue relates to Thailand as a whole and as far as I know is more to do with government oversight of safety issues rather than any particular carrier. The Australian headlines seem to make out that this is a 'Thai Airways' issue...which I guess in the Australian sense is partially correct as TG is the only Thai airline flying to Australia.

They certainly aren't 'banned' from flying to any country...just temporarily denied permission to start new routes to some countries until Thailand puts its house in order. TG itself is considered to be very safe IMO.

My wife is scared of flying so the report on safety concerns is a little daunting for her...... So that's Malaysian Airlines out of the question, no matter how cheap they are.

I don't see why. The first Malaysian crash wasn't their fault - it was the Russians. At the time, lots of airlines were flying that route so it was just bad luck it was a Malaysian airline that got hit. As for the second one, we'll probably never know but it is only one incident, which in some ways makes it less likely that another one will happen soon.

I remember flying Thai Airways about twenty years ago. The service was great and I've never had such nice food on an airline before or since.

If they are the same as Royal Thai [?] I have flown them before and there was no seat back in-flight entertainment! Had to watch the screen above the seats for 12 hours. May not be a concern for everyone but I certainly wasn't expecting it. Can't remember anything else about them to be honest ;)

But I'd hope this isn't the case any more, as this was in 2008.

If they are the same as Royal Thai [?] I have flown them before and there was no seat back in-flight entertainment! Had to watch the screen above the seats for 12 hours. May not be a concern for everyone but I certainly wasn't expecting it. Can't remember anything else about them to be honest ;)

But I'd hope this isn't the case any more, as this was in 2008.

Those days are long gone. All the long haul aircraft have seat back TV now...London will be operated by A380 from 1st July.

Archived