UK May General Election 2015

Perthbum

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What on earth? You were the one who started the negativity, and attacking "the privileged", no one else. Dear, dear, dear, what hypocrisy.

When it's pointed out to you that there are "privileged" people are on all sides of the political spectrum, you act as if it was someone else who raised the issue.

Have some consistency mate.

Who are you quoting?

Oh, sorry you seemed to have missed the question I put to you earlier.

I have to ask;

Have you not noticed the name of the forum? It's "Poms in Oz", of which I happen to be one, so I think it's ok for me to comment, isn't it?

Also, as I am intending moving back to Blighty in 4 years time, the election has a huge bearing on my current plans, so it's a good thing for me to show interest (I postal voted in the St. Ives Cornwall constituency.)

SO, why not debate the topic, and drop your relentless personal attacks? You're only embarrassing yourself mate, your not a very good advert for left wing politics..

Where are the personal attacks? In stating that you are in Oz? That you have a rabid interest in putting down those who don't share your politics? These are statements of fact.

Todays attacks from the right wing press;

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/6433144/Mockney-Mili-cosies-up-with-loony-leftie-Russell-Brand.html

Bear in mind that The Sun once paid Brand to write a regular column for them...

Ah, I see what you mean, if anyone who supports the Tories gets something wrong in your eyes, or expresses an opinion you do not like, then the Tory party are wrong. Classic Strawman "look over there" argument. Facile.

By "the usual privileged lot" you mean

Edd Balls?

Harriet Harperson?

Tristram Hunt?

That the sort of privilege you mean? (Want more?)

Not totally sure the point you are trying to make here but if it is that it fundamentally does not matter which of the main parties you vote for - as both are made up of people at the top with a vested interest in the status quo - you may have a point. For example, When Labour were in government they had a number of major donors who happened to be non-dom. Currently they have none so they are free in opposition to attack non-dom status. Back in power those donors would magically re-appear no doubt and any changes to non-dom tax status might mysteriously run out of time to be implemented.

Where are the personal attacks? In stating that you are in Oz? That you have a rabid interest in putting down those who don't share your politics? These are statements of fact.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/6433144/Mockney-Mili-cosies-up-with-loony-leftie-Russell-Brand.html

You are really sinking low if you start quoting the Sun paulv. That "paper" stopped reporting news years ago. Does it just go onto peoples facebook pages and twitter for news?:frown:

So that was an advert from Labour then :P

Yes, it seems so....and part of the whole problem most people have with elections with two opposing positions on this thread degenerating into smears (just like every political campaign). In the end I feel they should all have the same slogan. 'Vote for my party, we are not as bad as the other lot'.

Sometimes I think that's why the smaller parties are doing better (yes even UKIP) because they are more like "this is why you should vote for us" and it's slightly more hopeful. I feel like labour and tories just use fear and smears. Also labour just take the lefts vote for granted too in my opinion and now it's kinda backfired on them in Scotland

Yes, it seems so....and part of the whole problem most people have with elections with two opposing positions on this thread degenerating into smears (just like every political campaign). In the end I feel they should all have the same slogan. 'Vote for my party, we are not as bad as the other lot'.

They should... but, then people would actually have to look at the facts instead of taking the smears at face value. Some people really would just believe whatever is put infront of them, whether it's misleading or exaggerated. :S

Rather stupid to imply that if you don't vote for Labour then you're not intelligent.

Where are the personal attacks? In stating that you are in Oz?

Well, your statement certainly sounded like a personal attack. So tell me, why did you feel the need to bring up the fact that I am not UK based? This is the "poms in Oz" forum after all.

That you have a rabid interest in putting down those who don't share your politics?

Care to quote me "rabidly" "putting down those who don't share my politics"? Thought not.

What does this have to do with anything?

You seem to have missed my question to you once more;

By the way, if you do not consider someone from a family which is able to pay fees of £7,306 a term for their education as "privileged" would you care to share with us what you do consider a "privileged" upbringing?

How about the £30,410 a year Tony Bliar's parents paid for his place at Fettes? Is that "privileged" enough for you?

After all, it was you that brought up the issue of privilege. You were the one who started the negativity, and attacking "the privileged", no one else.

When it's pointed out to you that there are "privileged" people are on all sides of the political spectrum, you acted as if it was someone else who raised the issue.

Neck and neck with long long odds on any party winning an outright majority, a minority win is the only real possibility with Labour and Tories looking for help to form a coalition, the bookies have Labour slightly ahead in the race for a minority win, who is your money on?

Sorry all the various bookmakers are supposed to be across the top but when I copy and paste that aint showing.

[TABLE=class: eventTable, width: 1089]

[TR=class: eventTableRow bgc]

[/TR]

[TD=class: sel nm, align: center]Any Coalition Involving Lib Dems[/TD]

[TD=class: o np, align: center][/TD]

[TD=class: o np, align: center][/TD]u

[TD=class: o co b, align: center]2[/TD]

[TD=class: wo wo-col, align: center][/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: sel nm, align: center]Labour Minority[/TD]

[TD=class: o co b, align: center]9/4[/TD]

[TD=class: o co, align: center]15/8[/TD]

[TD=class: o co, align: center]2[/TD]

[TD=class: oo co b, align: center]9/4[/TD]

[TD=class: oo co, align: center]2[/TD]

[TD=class: oi co, align: center]9/5[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: sel nm, align: center]Conservative Minority[/TD]

[TD=class: oi co, align: center]9/4[/TD]

[TD=class: o co, align: center]11/4[/TD]

[TD=class: o co b, align: center]3[/TD]

[TD=class: o co, align: center]9/4[/TD]

[TD=class: o co, align: center]5/2[/TD]

[TD=class: o co b, align: center]3[/TD]

[TD=class: oi co, align: center]21/10[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: sel nm, align: center]Conservative Majority[/TD]

[TD=class: oo co, align: center]5[/TD]

[TD=class: o co b, align: center]6[/TD]

[TD=class: o co, align: center]5[/TD]

[TD=class: o co, align: center]11/2[/TD]

[TD=class: o co b, align: center]6[/TD]

[TD=class: oo co b, align: center]6[/TD]

[TD=class: o co, align: center]7/2[/TD]

[TD=class: o co, align: center]9/2[/TD]

[TD=class: oo co, align: center]29/5[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: sel nm, align: center]Any Coalition Involving SNP[/TD]

[TD=class: o co, align: center]13/2[/TD]

[TD=class: o co, align: center]6[/TD]

[TD=class: oo co, align: center]13/2[/TD]

[TD=class: o co b, align: center]7[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: sel nm, align: center]Conservative/Lib Dem Coalition[/TD]

[TD=class: oo co, align: center]13/2[/TD]

[TD=class: o co, align: center]23/5[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: sel nm, align: center]Labour/Lib Dem Coalition[/TD]

[TD=class: o co b, align: center]8[/TD]

[TD=class: o co, align: center]7[/TD]

[TD=class: oo co, align: center]39/5[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Just been listening to 5 live on my travels this morning ...SNP leader Nicola sturgeon is proving popular,north and south of the border...latest polls show that the SNP may take ALL 59 seats available in Scotland.

We may end up with the scenario of labour and the tories in some form of loose coalition to shut out snp influence.....

Labour and the tories won't have enough seats .....the tories although lined up to be the biggest party, still wont have enough seats even if they doba deal with the lib dems .

The thought of the Scots holding the balance of power in Westminster ,scares both major parties to death.

Just been listening to 5 live on my travels this morning ...SNP leader Nicola sturgeon is proving popular,north and south of the border...latest polls show that the SNP may take ALL 59 seats available in Scotland.

We may end up with the scenario of labour and the tories in some form of loose coalition to shut out snp influence.....

Labour and the tories won't have enough seats .....the tories although lined up to be the biggest party, still wont have enough seats even if they doba deal with the lib dems .

The thought of the Scots holding the balance of power in Westminster ,scares both major parties to death.

Apart from their attitude to Trident (and Scottish independence) SNP and Labour policies are nigh-on identical, so the fear of the SNP has no real basis for left-leaning voters. Whereas Labour and the Conservatives have few areas of common ground so there is no chance of an agreement there. Actually I suspect the Conservatives will be the largest party but even with the LibDems they will fall short of a majority - but the LibDems will do better than their polling.

Labour + SNP could be enough for a majority, but if Nick Clegg loses his Sheffield seat which is possible, Vince Cable will take over as leader, and he is much more friendly towards Labour, so could join a coalition with Labour and the SNP. That would be entertaining as he would probably insist on being Chancellor (a role he should probably be doing now), which would put Ed Balls' nose seriously out of joint...

I don't think the SNP will win all seats here but yes I think they'll do very well. If they did have some sort of loose coalition people probably wouldn't be that surprised since so many people just see them as tory lite now. We shall see! It's certainly not boring anyway

Well I guess we will never know whether Labour's plan to borrow more would have paid dividends. The UK credit rating would have been adversely affected for sure so borrowing would have been more expensive.

The old borrowing to invest mantra is often played out but then they would have used the money to prop up public service jobs and reduce the cuts. Laudable I am sure but where is the investment in that policy?

I think that a 5 year period is simply not long enough to judge whether this has worked or not. With a debt issue that bad and a recession so deeply embedded globally it was always going to take more than 5 years to turn things around whoever tried it.

This is a great, but very comprehensive article by Paul Krugman on how the UK has been behaving and how it definitely has not worked, and won't work. Obviously destroys the Tory coalition's economic policy, but also criticises Labour for their very weak opposition.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/ng-interactive/2015/apr/29/the-austerity-delusion

That labour advert is a bit sick,comparing ukip voters to Ian Brady. How low of them

No no one is comparing anything - he's a UKIP supporter...

"Moors murderer Ian Brady has revealed he is a Ukip supporter and thinks David Dimbleby is an 'establishment dumpling'.The 77-year-old wrote the letters from his bed at Ashworth psychiatric hospital in Merseyside.

Brady was jailed for life in 1966 after torturing and killing five children with his then-girlfriend Myra Hindley. "

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3055928/Moors-murderer-Ian-Brady-reveals-Ukip-supporter-brands-David-Dimbleby-establishment-dumpling-series-ranting-letters-Ashworth-hospital.html

No no one is comparing anything - he's a UKIP supporter...

"Moors murderer Ian Brady has revealed he is a Ukip supporter and thinks David Dimbleby is an 'establishment dumpling'.The 77-year-old wrote the letters from his bed at Ashworth psychiatric hospital in Merseyside.

Brady was jailed for life in 1966 after torturing and killing five children with his then-girlfriend Myra Hindley. "

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3055928/Moors-murderer-Ian-Brady-reveals-Ukip-supporter-brands-David-Dimbleby-establishment-dumpling-series-ranting-letters-Ashworth-hospital.html

So what, what are labour implying to use such a monster in their election campaign. So everyone who votes for ukip is a mass child killer.thats the connotation or resemblance they are implying.

maybe Peter sutcliffe aka Yorkshire ripper is a labour supporter. Doesn't mean labour supporters are murdering rapists.why use Bradys ugly mug for a election campaign. Lowest of the low labour.and that's being kind

Lord Ashcroft poll out an hour ago showing Farage still unlikely to win a seat. Cheerio Nigel. :biglaugh:

Not sticking up for UKIP with my last 2 posts but bookies still have him odds on.

So what, what are labour implying to use such a monster in their election campaign. So everyone who votes for ukip is a mass child killer.thats the connotation or resemblance they are implying.

maybe Peter sutcliffe aka Yorkshire ripper is a labour supporter. Doesn't mean labour supporters are murdering rapists.why use Bradys ugly mug for a election campaign. Lowest of the low labour.and that's being kind

Calm down dear - that pic is nothing to do with any political party, someone just stuck it online.

What ed said last night sounded like he was saying he would rather let the tories in for 5 years than work with another left party... If he hadn't lost scotland then he sure has now. I can just imagine jim Murphys reaction. Those veins would definitely have been bulging :laugh:

Archived