is it really as bad as we think?

Danielleoz

Hi all!

Myself and my partner moved out here February 2014 on a working holiday Visa as we were told it is easier to get a job if you are in the country...I guess not if you are on a WHV. In January 2015 we were granted our PR -We were clearly over the moon and thought this should help secure a job for my partner in Civil Engineering (designing structures such as roads, bridges).

He seems to be having no luck at all due to not having Australian experience. It is really starting to get us down! Is the job market really that bad at the moment or are we not doing the right things to gain employment.

CV's have been sent off to all agencies, they have been sent directly to the company and we have even made a Video CV. What do you suggest?? please only constructive criticism.

He is hard working and has extensive knowledge in structural design.

This is sooo tiring!

Any help greatly received. We live in Perth but we are willing to relocate to secure civil engineering position.

Thank you

Danielle

You did well getting from a WHV to PR in such a short time. Don't give up is all I can offer. When we came out in 92 the unemployment rate was 11% and I was out of work for 5 months. I'm in IT, was applying for anything and everything and was beginning to think I would never get a start. Got the same answer as your hubby a lot of the time, No Australian Experience???

I got a job out of left field filling in for someone going on long service leave in the biophysics dept at Charlie Gairdners hospital. It was a small advert in the paper that I nearly didn't bother with and I got a telephone call to go for interview the next day. It was working in IT and they made it plain they couldn't offer me a full time position as the guy was coming back. The people were great, really nice job and from that someone I worked with knew someone else with his own company and I got a job from that. I could also have gotten a post with CSC at the hospital but I'd already accepted the first offer.

Never been out of work since but it's the first one that's hard to get. Good luck.:cool:

Hi,

Thanks Paul.

Yeah it seems to be that way, I hope this job comes quick. He has a job which is keeping him busy as a Removalist but we wonder if that reflects bad on his CV that he has moved away from engineering and now his experience will be dating.

It seems to be all 'ifs, buts and maybes' at the moment.

Glad it worked out for you.

Danielle

Very quick PR. I'm afraid the job market in Perth is in decline in the white collar sector. People in trades still doing well though for the moment. I had a tradesman up just an hour ago to give me a quote. Told me he is flat out. Several I called couldn't even be bothered to give a quote. There are several folk around my area that I know off on temp visa's and in work. They are Brit's, Irish and Canadians. All are doing labouring type work apart from a couple of the girls who are nurses. Some of the guys are in white collar areas but found construction more lucrative but had an Irish connection which likely helped.

From all accounts the engineering section is in decline so you will need not to be picky in your choice of work. So while some professional areas are hard going labouring type work seems plentiful and can pay well if able to get a look in.

Hi,

Thanks Paul.

Yeah it seems to be that way, I hope this job comes quick. He has a job which is keeping him busy as a Removalist but we wonder if that reflects bad on his CV that he has moved away from engineering and now his experience will be dating.

Danielle

I wouldn't necessary put removalist on CV. Depending on position going for. I used to have different formats leaving out what was not relevant to the position applying.

Massive immigration and a far too broader list of job declared shortages when it is anything but, will ensure a very competitive job market into the future.

In previous times the cost of living was cheap especially if coming from UK. Hence the sense of urgency hardly prevailed. Rather different now. At least one is in work so not too bad.

I wouldn't necessary put removalist on CV. Depending on position going for. I used to have different formats leaving out what was not relevant to the position applying.

Massive immigration and a far too broader list of job declared shortages when it is anything but, will ensure a very competitive job market into the future.

In previous times the cost of living was cheap especially if coming from UK. Hence the sense of urgency hardly prevailed. Rather different now. At least one is in work so not too bad.

Mmm I was thinking the same thing, leave removalist off the CV as not relevant. He might need to disclose it at some point, but don't flag it up front. It would definitely be spoiling the CV. Where are you out of interest?

Hi,

Thanks Paul.

Danielle

I don't think the removalist job will do him any harm. At least employers will see he had not just sat at home moping and he's got out and done something. He can say he's had Australian experience for one.:wink: Hope something turns up.

I don't think the removalist job will do him any harm. At least employers will see he had not just sat at home moping and he's got out and done something. He can say he's had Australian experience for one.:wink: Hope something turns up.

I'm not sure employers think like that anymore. They want people able and capable to do the position first and foremost. Not someone necessary that couldn't work in their area and resorted to stacking shelves at Woollies. It shouldn't be and was once akin to how you describe but more a employers market of choice these days with the added complications for those blindly seeking employment. (without contacts etc)

If it comes up, he could mention it in an interview and make those good points. But at CV stage I am not sure, I know that many professionals would look at the latest job and if it is not relevant would kind of snort and put it in the bin without thinking through the points you have raised. Anyway, if it has been on the CV, maybe trying the other tact would make sense now.

I was going to say 'look for any job you can get', but I see he has a job. Isn't that a good thing? To be both working and earning? I work casually in data entry, and many of my co-workers are young guys and girls who have graduated recently in various disciplines, and are still looking for jobs in their chosen field. It's all good experience, and surely better to be able to put on your CV that you are working, rather than unemployed?

If it comes up, he could mention it in an interview and make those good points. But at CV stage I am not sure, I know that many professionals would look at the latest job and if it is not relevant would kind of snort and put it in the bin without thinking through the points you have raised. Anyway, if it has been on the CV, maybe trying the other tact would make sense now.

I wouldn't be putting it on my resume but it wouldn't hurt mentioning it at the interview stage. I've been an interviewer for a few jobs and set a Phillipino guy on who had a degree in electronics but had been fixing gates at multi story car parks for a year on crap money. It showed us he'd got off his butt and done something.

Also tailor the resume to fit the position and even if you think you have little experience in a field that might matter, make sure you highlight it and make it stand out. It's all about getting the job.:yes:

It is important to explain any gaps in a CV - so I would put it in the job history, just not put it in the recent experience section.

But it seems to be the state of the market at the moment. Lots of people (50,000 they said in the paper) have come back from the mines.

I wouldn't be putting it on my resume but it wouldn't hurt mentioning it at the interview stage. I've been an interviewer for a few jobs and set a Phillipino guy on who had a degree in electronics but had been fixing gates at multi story car parks for a year on crap money. It showed us he'd got off his butt and done something.

Also tailor the resume to fit the position and even if you think you have little experience in a field that might matter, make sure you highlight it and make it stand out. It's all about getting the job.:yes:

As above. We employ civil engineers, and frankly there are so many on the market right now that I can get a senior with CPEng and many years local experience for the same rate we would have paid a junior a couple of years ago. From my point of view, I don't care if you are doing other stuff - I know how hard the market is, what I want to see is that you can jump in and be chargeable instantly so do courses, get drafting jobs, know the Standards inside out, whatever you can do to prove that to me.

In all likelihood you'll have to chase the work outside of where you want to be, so be prepared to move interstate or to regional areas

As above. We employ civil engineers, and frankly there are so many on the market right now that I can get a senior with CPEng and many years local experience for the same rate we would have paid a junior a couple of years ago. From my point of view, I don't care if you are doing other stuff - I know how hard the market is, what I want to see is that you can jump in and be chargeable instantly so do courses, get drafting jobs, know the Standards inside out, whatever you can do to prove that to me.

In all likelihood you'll have to chase the work outside of where you want to be, so be prepared to move interstate or to regional areas

Hi, where are you based Eera? Do you like it if potential employees just drop by unannounced to drop in their CV?

Thanks Danielle

I'm in Mackay but we have engineering branches al over Australia and worldwide - we are the largest engineering consultancy that you've never heard of.

Personally I like it when I get random CVs sent in, as if I give a personal recommendation and that person gets taken on I get a $2000 finders fee. Unfortunately site rules here prevent me from asking you to send me a cv - which is a shame as senior manager's recommendation holds a lot more sway with HR than a speculative CV.

Anyway, right now we are advertising for a number of civ eng (and geotech) people on the East coast and Northern Territory. If you PM me I can give you details of the company and who's in HR to talk to if you want.

I was out of work in IT for four months a couple of years ago. Spent each day submitting high quality apps (according to agencies). It was hard work and I got nowhere. Went back to UK, got a contract and then returned to Brisbane. Instead of wasting my time on Seek, I decided to network more and eventually found something via a mate. Two years on I make a point of recommending good candidates to my bosses - they never need to recruit. Brisbane is a relationship based recruitment scene and I suspect country areas are similar - who not what you know. Get chatting to people, network (especially with other Poms). Mates always take preference over more qualified/suitable candidates - they are viewed as less risky and threatening. Hopefully the demand for engineers will change - must be frustrating to not be able to do what he's qualified for. Good for him, taking a removalist job - shows he's not afraid of hard work!

.a recruitment consultant got my hubby his second job she had been sitting on his cv for 6 month lol ...well actually he got himself in his second job ...he bi passed hr and sent it straight to management ...management rang him up for interview ....it was arranged ....for something like 3:30 one afternoon ...and the recruitment consultant happened to be talking to the receptionist on that day she had popped in the company .

the receptionist said we have one of your clients in for interview ....recruitment woman said who ...receptionist told her his name ...she said carnt have I've not arranged it , she said well he's here at 3:30 ....she spoke to management said u carnt interview him because he's my client . So interview was cancelled lmao not funnie at the time though , she rang my hubby and he said well uve had my cv for 6 month , there was a big who are going on , anyway she re arranged another interview and he got the job lol .shes now his best buddy haha ....1st job he got after 5 week which is along time for my hubby he gets them in a day or two usually in uk lol ....job over here he put his cv out straight to management ...on the Friday , he had a 3 way telephone interview set up on the wed he got offered the job on the Friday .....and the company he worked for here also sat on his cv for months in WA , he applied over her because he got put on short time in wa everyone did and nothing coming through ....not a lot just bits of work .....then the job he has now in Wa he worked with the general manager in wa on his second job ...and within 24 hrs of him having no work book too over here he was offered the job . Good job he took it because the company he worked for layed off staff last week week b4 , he has been contacted for a interview this week but I think he's liking where he is they are lovely and he's happy with it just won't let people down . He's coming back to me on the 15 th yipeeee lol for two week , then I'll come out there after . ....So apply direct because I don't mean to be rude to any hr ....and I honestly don't ....but one who contacted him about a job didn't have a clue ...he clicked on her profile and she had been a stock replenisher at Woolies for 6 yrs ....plz don't take offence though ....if he gets to management he gets the job ....if it lands on hr we have found they don't understand not really lol :)

Archived