Ideas for a Farewell Gift to ex pat returning to UK from Australia

SandraB

Depends how much you want to spend, but I got my sister a lovely bone china mug with aboriginal art on it, so if only a small token gift something like that would work. Otherwise maybe a set of mugs with aussie birds/animals on - Maxwell Williams do some nice ones. Or if you don't really like her, one of those really annoying wall clocks that strikes the hour with a different aussie bird-call...

http://www.rainbowserpent.com.au/Shop.aspx?Category=Mugs

http://apps.homecare.com.au/Shopping/ASPX/Product_Detail.aspx?prodcode=AUBR

Hi I am looking for some gift ideas for a female work colleague who is returning to the UK from Australia.

A Wicked Weasel bikini from Byron Bay, nothing like them in the uk, a large picture of the sun drenched beach at Palm Cove just to remind what the sun looks like, also not available in the uk, a pair of thongs so she'll remember what they are when she tries to buy some in the uk and meets embarrassed puzzlement in the shoe shop in the uk ( thongs are skimpy underwear in the uk) or what about a photo of Tony Abbott in his budgie smugglers so that she knows what a real prime minister looks like ( not like that old etonian p***ock Cameron), or maybe a used Bonds blue singlet to bring back the real scent of the outback.

I know a picture of a Melbourne tram going down a melbourne street festooned with wires strung from posts everywhere.

Or to be fair a pair of Ugg boots which she will need or a Dryazabone from Viccy market, another essential for the uk.

You can buy "thongs"is most shoe stores,even Debenhams and BHS stock them!Wow Back to Democracy,most of your gift ideas sound bitter!Gorgeous day where I am in the UK,sun beaming and warm! Maybe an aussie flag towel?What age group is the person?

Big tub of Lucas Paw Paw ointment. Like the towel idea - touristy stuff is really naff though!

One thing my parents treasure is an oil painting from a local Yass artist showing the entrance to the show grounds at Tumut - very Aussie scenic and unique. Perhaps patronize a local artist and their depiction of the scenery.

You can buy "thongs"is most shoe stores,even Debenhams and BHS stock them!Wow Back to Democracy,most of your gift ideas sound bitter!Gorgeous day where I am in the UK,sun beaming and warm! Maybe an aussie flag towel?What age group is the person?

It was meant to be a little tongue in cheek and i did try to be sensible at the end but some of the others might still be a goer ( now i'm showing my age).

Hi I am looking for some gift ideas for a female work colleague who is returning to the UK from Australia.

Good Akubra Hat. Keeps you warm in winter, keeps the sun off in Summer, and keeps the rain off my glasses all year round.

Well I brought back an Aussie flag, red back tea towels, a sign saying 'Australia it's a bloody long way' and a 'Like it or leave sticker'. Obviously having lived there 5 years I had lots of 'nice' things to bring back too - if you're spending a fair bit then pearls or opals could be an idea.

In the tourist shops you can get 'Australia Homesick Kits' which are good for a giggle or make up your own.

We got a welcome back to Scotland kit from our friends here - a huge box so can't remember everything but it included a tartan rug, umbrella, hand warmers, cold and flu treatment, porridge oats, chocolate, hot chocolate, hot water bottle, bed socks, lip salve

You do have to consider the reason why the person is returning - I loved my welcome home kit but that was from UK friends and I was choosing to return - I may not have appreciated it from Australian friends if I hadn't wanted to leave!

Archived