liveable salary for victoria

skyeman

That is not true with rent assistance only if you have children! See humanservices.gov.au/newly-arrived-resident-waiting-period. There is only around 140 AUD rent assistance fortnightly for kids. So you either must have arrived with children or one of your household members is an Australian citizen or former PR. We arrived without kids and no jobs and did get 0!!!

That is not true with rent assistance only if you have children! See humanservices.gov.au/newly-arrived-resident-waiting-period. There is only around 140 AUD rent assistance fortnightly for kids. So you either must have arrived with children or one of your household members is an Australian citizen or former PR. We arrived without kids and no jobs and did get 0!!!

Ah sorry yes we did have a 9 year old.

Have you heard of Obamacare.

In EVERY State of the US? I've heard is doesn't apply everywhere in the US and is badly fought by the opposition? And even with Obamacare only very basic health services is available and as a new arrival to the country I would be carefully reading the eligibility criteria.

Some people live on very little - less than $57k - and bring up families. I don't know how they do it, but they do. People always manage to scrape through on what they have, and always wish they had just a little bit more. That applies whether they are on $57k or $157k :).

I suspect at that wage, you'd be eating value brand food all the time (food is a considerable expense in Australia), would be dressing in Kmart clothes, would be afraid of turning on heating or aircon, would have little opportunity to explore much beyond Melbourne. If these things are not important and if being in Australia is adventure enough then go for it - otherwise you will really thank yourself for waiting until your wife is able to earn.

You also have to factor in the costs of relocating, which can be enormous. You have visas, flights, temporary accommodation, car hire, rental deposit, furniture (rentals in Australia are unfurnished), wheels, etc.

This is a year old, but it proves we couldnt live on $57,000 before tax then and definately still couldnt now.......

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/household/208074-living-costs-melbourne-2014-a.html

Are you sure it means you couldn't ?

Or does it mean you would have to change your lifestyle.

Maybe only have 1 car, cut back on discretionary expenditure.

People survive on Newstart Allowance so I expect people could survive on $57K if they had to.

People survive on Newstart Allowance so I expect people could survive on $57K if they had to.

That's the thing, I have survived on very little in the past and yes it is possible.

However, to uproot your family to the other side of the world is tumultuous enough as it is, but to do it on very little wage is even harder.

Why should we change our lifestyle so we were just scraping by?

If (and when) i immigrated, i would be ensuring i could provide the same, or better, standard of living.

Otherwise i wouldnt consider it.

Whats going on that you feel compelled to argue with practically anybody, about practically anything, PC?

If (and when) i immigrated, i would be ensuring i could provide the same, or better, standard of living.

Whats going on that you feel compelled to argue with practically anybody, about practically anything, PC?

Exactly what what would be the point in moving ...I' agree :)

I will point out an obvious erroneous statement because the OP needs accurate information.

Also if I disagree I may comment.

That is what the forum is for, to hear different points of view and provide accurate information to people with questions.

PS. My current income is currently a lot less than $57K.

I will point out an obvious erroneous statement because the OP needs accurate information.

Also if I disagree I may comment.

That is what the forum is for, to hear different points of view and provide accurate information to people with questions.

I think you are doing the OP no favours by suggesting that this is liveable (see the original question). As I said earlier, people can and do live on very little but many of them find that it is not much of a life. Bringing up a family on $57k is not, as you would put it, cutting back on discretionary expenditure and only running one car. It is about having no discretionary expenditure, no car, no nothing.

PS. My current income is currently a lot less than $57K.

Are you paying rent and supporting a wife and two children? If not, your experience is unlikely to offer much insight to the OP.

Quinkla, the point was really saying I could not live on a salary of $57K so definitively, is actually not true.

If you lose your job and end up on Centrelink benefits you do find a way to live although drastic changes are necessary.

I used to earn a lot more than $100K but now survive on a lot less than $57K.

For the OP I expect his wife could get a job also.

Quinkla, the point was really saying I could not live on a salary of $57K so definitively, is actually not true.

But that is the opposite of what you wrote. You actually said: "People survive on Newstart Allowance so I expect people could survive on $57K if they had to. "

For the OP I expect his wife could get a job also.

If you read the whole thread rather than just looking for a single post to pick an argument with, you'd see that this has already been covered.

Quite an emotive issue. However, it's very particular to the individual and a whole host of other issues and requirements.

Some folks need their fancy lunchtime visits to celebrity chef restaurants; Some folks only need a slice of toast using Woolies 80c bread.

Horses for courses. Yes, it's survivable on $57k.

Catch you later. The toaster has just popped up!

Archived