Winter likely to have been UK's sunniest since 1929

Perthbum

Dont know if this is global warming but I cannot believe how mild and sunny it has been this winter, again today is sunny and with the lowest rainfall this winter for over a decade it has been very pleasant, lets hope we get summers like the last 2 which have gone on and on :cute:

UK expected to beat the record for sunshine by seven hours

753c32df-2142-415f-9c92-0af2e64565a9-1020x612.jpeg

2015 is on track to be the sunniest in records stretching back to 1929. Photograph: csimagebase / Alamy/AlamyPress Association

Friday 27 February 201513.54 GMTLast modified on Saturday 28 February 201500.23 GMT

Shares

Comments

This winter is likely to have been the sunniest in records dating back nearly 90 years, the Met Office has said.

The winter has seen fairly average temperatures and rainfall - unlike last winter which was the wettest on record - but 2015 is on track to be the sunniest in records stretching back to 1929.

This winter has been weird.We've only had a couple of frosts,one lot of snow which didn't last 5 mins,and quite a lot of sunshine too.Not that I'm complaining.Its my secong winter in a row as I was in Oz for 3mths during their winter!

The previous winter was wierd. This one has been pretty typical and average though, as has been stated, sunnier than normal. But with clearer skies come more frosts and I am amazed that you have only had a couple. You must wake up very late lol or perhaps have a micro climate there.

It has been good to have a winter where the weather barely got a mention on the news. That is the true yardstick of a benign winter in my view.

It has been a bitingly cold start to March but set to drastically improve at the weekend with temps into the mid teens...... yay. And we are having our open house on Saturday with plenty of viewings booked so can get out the garden furniture for the first time since October and show the garden as a usable space. So looking forward to some warmth now.

I get up for work at either 4.45am or 5.30am so up with the birds most days.Bitingly cold?Hmmm Does'nt seem to be any colder than usual for winter.The last few nights we've had to turn off our heating at 8pm because its too warm,and the thermo is set at 18c

It's been another lovely winter - short, sunny, few frosty days, and in the last two years we've had one day of snow. Amazing for the 'frozen north'! Much, much prefer this to the long, wet ones we get sometimes.

And now it's spring..

I'm very glad it was only a 'mild' winter, It felt freezing to me most days, but I do suffer when it comes to cold weather, much more of a summer baby! Can't wait for it to get warmer!

Its definitely been cold, but not as bad as some years and it has been shorter than most winters.

I don't do winter very well either, but I got a down filled jacket for Christmas and it's fantastic. I now know how ducks and geese can stand swimming in freezing cold water (not that I'd try that!). It's worth the money if you hate being cold! :yes:

........I've enjoyed the weather here tbh.....!

........the mornings I walk the sea front.......only the wind being a challenge...!

.......mostly been sunny.......with one day of ....snow flakes....!

........melted before I had time to make a snowman lol....

.........I'm watching the spring flowers grow ATM.....

..........a beautiful time in the UK ime....

Dont know if this is global warming but I cannot believe how mild and sunny it has been this winter, again today is sunny and with the lowest rainfall this winter for over a decade it has been very pleasant, lets hope we get summers like the last 2 which have gone on and on :cute:

2015 is on track to be the sunniest in records stretching back to 1929. Photograph: csimagebase / Alamy/AlamyPress Association

Friday 27 February 201513.54 GMTLast modified on Saturday 28 February 201500.23 GMT

Shares

Comments

This winter is likely to have been the sunniest in records dating back nearly 90 years, the Met Office has said.

The winter has seen fairly average temperatures and rainfall - unlike last winter which was the wettest on record - but 2015 is on track to be the sunniest in records stretching back to 1929.

Of course the weathers changing......not one day below zero again......all in all very dry as well......the last week in January to the first week in march have been the coldest,that's probably the tale end of the weather in the u.s

The one strange thing,played golf yesterday,some of the greens were saturated....just wondering if the aquafirs are full?......good job we haven't had a mild wet winter like last year.

Temps are going back into double figures now.....daffs are coming out....ROLL ON THE SUMMER

Its definitely been cold, but not as bad as some years and it has been shorter than most winters.

I don't do winter very well either, but I got a down filled jacket for Christmas and it's fantastic. I now know how ducks and geese can stand swimming in freezing cold water (not that I'd try that!). It's worth the money if you hate being cold! :yes:

Ahh thanks :-) I'll keep that in mind for next winter, hopefully be more prepared ! :)

The previous winter was wierd. This one has been pretty typical and average though, as has been stated, sunnier than normal. But with clearer skies come more frosts and I am amazed that you have only had a couple. You must wake up very late lol or perhaps have a micro climate there.

It has been good to have a winter where the weather barely got a mention on the news. That is the true yardstick of a benign winter in my view.

It has been a bitingly cold start to March but set to drastically improve at the weekend with temps into the mid teens...... yay. And we are having our open house on Saturday with plenty of viewings booked so can get out the garden furniture for the first time since October and show the garden as a usable space. So looking forward to some warmth now.

It must be my age ?......sorry to labour a point .....but winter is nothing like it used to be......a foot of snow....burst pipes.....digging out your car......hundreds of football matches cancelled.....it may be an odd few winters we have had.....and it may return .....but in the long run ,I very much doubt it.

Look at historic footage ...47..63...79( windchill of minus 25 ).....happy days for me,cant stand the winter

Not what I want to hear mate.i might be coming back next year and I would like a bit of snow :laugh: for the kids sake. My skin doesn't need anymore sun.:wink: I have rhinos skin now with working out in it al day.:cool:

Mate, skin cancer risks are massive if you work outside without adequate clothing, don't be silly with your health.

I've still felt cold and needed to use my central heating. However, some mornings recently I've sat (wrapped up in my dressing gown) in the sun enjoying the warm sunshine, but in the shade it was a different kettle of fish, single digit temperatures. At least it doesn't seem to have been as wet this winter.

I get up for work at either 4.45am or 5.30am so up with the birds most days.Bitingly cold?Hmmm Does'nt seem to be any colder than usual for winter.The last few nights we've had to turn off our heating at 8pm because its too warm,and the thermo is set at 18c

I agree it hasn't been much colder than usual this winter. Probably scraped ice off the windscreen about 20 to 30 times overall which is perfectly average. Last winter was wierd with barely a couple of frosts. I wasn't knocking this winter. It is what it is. Thermo set at 18C would be way too cold for comfort for us but then as we are Queensland bound that's a positive. Our last 'proper' winter now over (I hope) with temperatures set to rise to mid teens this weekend. Heating can go off for a while at least.

I agree it hasn't been much colder than usual this winter. Probably scraped ice off the windscreen about 20 to 30 times overall which is perfectly average. Last winter was wierd with barely a couple of frosts. I wasn't knocking this winter. It is what it is. Thermo set at 18C would be way too cold for comfort for us but then as we are Queensland bound that's a positive. Our last 'proper' winter now over (I hope) with temperatures set to rise to mid teens this weekend. Heating can go off for a while at least.

Oh goodness, 18º C for the heating thermostat is too cold for me as well. I put it down to that at night and the heating doesn't come on! Fortunately double glazing helps to keep the temperature up.

very mild and sunny today and actually ran in shorts and t-shirt, I was happy to see most of the people running were also in shorts....winter...what winter:cute:

Saw some real hardy souls today...a bloke in shorts..

.and the first ice cream van of the year....

This winter has been weird.We've only had a couple of frosts,one lot of snow which didn't last 5 mins,and quite a lot of sunshine too.Not that I'm complaining.Its my secong winter in a row as I was in Oz for 3mths during their winter!

My parents have had several lots of snow where they live in South Yorkshire and it hung around for long enough for my facebook friends to build snowmen and go sledging (and take pictures and post them on facebook). I think people forget how variable the weather in the UK can be and will go on about how lovely the weather in the UK is when they really mean how lovely it is where they are. Experience tells me that no matter how lovely the weather is in the rest of the UK it's probably grey and possibly raining in South Yorkshire.

Shares

Comments

Are you sure you aren't 'gilding the lily' PB?! I don't know. You are the one that lives there, but every time I watch the football from England, even when it's sunny, the players are all wearing gloves and the fans seemed to be kitted out for trips to the South Pole!

I got used to the winters when I went back to England, but the fact remains that in much of Australia, we have a three month winter, and a nine month summer, and you 'Poms' have the opposite! (Only - half - joking!)

Granted, it's March now, and 'Oh to be in England, now that April's here' (as I just quoted in another post.)

Not what I want to hear mate.i might be coming back next year and I would like a bit of snow :laugh: for the kids sake. My skin doesn't need anymore sun.:wink: I have rhinos skin now with working out in it al day.:cool:

Do the EPL 'Test' and watch the football from the UK, and in particular how the fans are kitted out. There are always a few 'nutters' who take their shirts off, but most are wrapped up from head to toe.

Shares

Comments

Wow so they had global warming back in the 1920's too, gives credence to the theory they are using it to raise revenue!

Wow so they had global warming back in the 1920's too, gives credence to the theory they are using it to raise revenue!

Climate Change 101: observations and conclusions are based on long term changes in averages, not single events.

My primary school age grandchildren can understand that concept: strangely, it seems too difficult for some adult brains to absorb.

Climate Change 101: observations and conclusions are based on long term changes in averages, not single events.

My primary school age grandchildren can understand that concept: strangely, it seems too difficult for some adult brains to absorb.

It was global warming when it was first realised that there was extensive tax raising potential until so many holes were punched in it. So it was changed to climate change, which in itself means nothing as the climate is forever changing. Let's revisit this thread in 25 years and see what's being said then. I'm old enough to remember the alarmists shouting that we were entering another ice in the 70's.

I'm adult enough to believe what I want, not what the alarmist tell me I have to and I don't try to belittle people who don't agree with me :)

Archived