How bad are the snakes and spiders

gemmae31

Guest Guest66881

We had a run of redbacks in and around the yellow waste bin a few months back, webs all over the handles sprayed and died down now they are still about just not in numbers before we hope:wink:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My OH informs me we have a red back living in the irrigation system box thing in the garden but no matter how many times I go in there to turn the water on I never see the spider. I'm actually a bit disappointed. We used to have a few huntsmen living in the shed where we rented. They were huge hairy things but would just try and hide behind their own legs when we went in there. We get a few spiders in the house but they are just general house spiders and mostly stay on the ceilings. We don't get any more than what we used to get in the UK.

And in spite of being just a short walk down a very grassy path from a conservation park I've yet to see a snake in the wild. I thought there was one on the path once but when I got closer I realised it was just a lizard.

Been here 2 years, seen 3 dead snakes, and on monday i seen my first ever alive one!!! and it was huge, it was a 6.5ft carpet python at the side of the road, i called a snake catcher to help it and it was him who told me how big it actually was!!! I have searched hi n low every where ive been to try and see one and ive seen nowt until now and it was close to a main road. they are defo there you just dont see them. as for spiders, we lived near a lake and had several huntsman in the house which are fine, they dont harm you theyre just fast! but our new house weve only seen one. we did have a redback by the pool. but trust me snakes n spiders will not be what bothers u most, the ants are worse and the mozzies!

We have had red backs in the garage and patio.

Hadn't ever seen a snake around the suburbs until last weekend. A whip snake in the garden.

Sunday there was a snake in the house! Must have come in through the patio doors from the deck (but we have the screen doors shut all the time). It was only a tree snake thankfully but still a surprise.

^^^ How did that affect you? Did you have to go to hospital?

Had a temperature of 39.1 degrees. Had a sore head that I couldn't get rid of for 2 days. Nausea although I only throw up very slightly once when my temperature was high and I had pain around my abdomen and kidney area.

I went to the doctor the day after I was bitten but he just gave me anti inflammatory pills and told me to rest up.

The first photo was shortly after I was bitten. The second was the following day...

28r3510.jpg

jjvh5h.jpg

In the suburbs of Adelaide,we had a red back spider in my daughters room,crawling up her net curtain!Had no choice but to kill it.Later moved to a small country town,found a scorpion under a log outside whilst gardening (also had to kill that)Plenty of huntsman's crawling around too.Once went rock climbing and nearly put my hand of a red belly!:frown:My mate also had a brown snake in her garden,but she lived on the edge of town.

My sister who lives in Greenwith in Adelaide,has two blue tongued lizards in her garden (We like those,used to keep them as pets when we were kids lol)but the people across the road from them found a brown snake so sorry I have to disagree you won't find a snake in the burbs!

Thanks for the replies

Really want to make the move just don't like the thought of the spiders especially in the house there so big I wouldn't no what to do :dull:

We're in Brisbane. Seen some right mother******s outside but they're harmless and some of them help deal with the flies and insects so we leave them alone and they leave us alone. Have had a couple inside the house, but nothing a good shoe or the hoover can't deal with!! We're all a bit scared of spiders in our house but I can honestly say that they're not a problem. They may be bigger than the UK, but I think there are less of them inside.

I've seen 2 tree snakes in 6 months.

My OH informs me we have a red back living in the irrigation system box thing in the garden but no matter how many times I go in there to turn the water on I never see the spider. I'm actually a bit disappointed. We used to have a few huntsmen living in the shed where we rented. They were huge hairy things but would just try and hide behind their own legs when we went in there. We get a few spiders in the house but they are just general house spiders and mostly stay on the ceilings. We don't get any more than what we used to get in the UK.

And in spite of being just a short walk down a very grassy path from a conservation park I've yet to see a snake in the wild. I thought there was one on the path once but when I got closer I realised it was just a lizard.

I like when the huntsmen try to look like a stick so spread four legs out at each side lol. I'll have to look through my photos, I'm not explaining it well.

• 4 weeks later...

Most spiders are harmless, just scary looking. I try to leave them alone around the house. Saw one yesterday grab a fly and drag it back to his nest. He earned his keep.

Been here nearly 4 years now. Spend a fair bit of time on farmland and walking through the dunes to the beach. Probably seen about 20 snakes. The last one was underneath my dog ! - the brown snake was on a path through scrubby sand dunes (off Goolwa) and the dog walked over it without noticing. The snake just slithered off into the scrub without getting nasty.

I've had a few close encounters with brown snakes at the farm. It's scary for about 2 seconds while you both evaluate the situation. The snake usually gets scared and heads off in the opposite direction.

Archived