Help regarding leaving Aus on UK passport as a citizen

Smirfyduo

Hi everyone,

Hoping for some help please - we need to fly out of Aus urgently and I need some advice about coming back in please.

Hubbie and I became citizens last year - son was born here.

We are all on UK passports - no Aussie passports. Question is, we do not have visas in our passports, how do we get back in???

Hubbie and I have citizenship certificates, and we have son's birth certificate - but I do not want to carry them with us.

Help please

Thank you in advance

[h=2]Australian Declaratory Visa (ADV)[/h]The Australian Declaratory Visa (ADV) is an administrative document that resembles a visa. It is issued in limited circumstances to Australian citizens who hold dual nationality only if the applicant:

• is a dual national under the age of 18
    or
  • has an emergency or other situation preventing travel on an Australian passport.

The Australian Declaratory Visa is valid for five years from the date of issue, unless the holder ceases to be an Australian citizen, in which case the holder will need a normal visa to travel to Australia.

Charges apply for this service.

Depending on your circumstances there is this visa.

If you rock up at the border on a British passport and claim you are an Ozzie surely they have to investigate it and can't turn you away. Probably a right piss around but if you need to go home urgent you need to go home.

This is just my thoughts and not based on fact.

They won't even be allowed to board the flight to be able to rock up at the border. Since boarding passes will not be printed for people who do not hold visa or eligible passport to enter Australia.

we had major issues getting OH boarding pass printed in Heathrow when going to validate our visas as the system kept saying they didn't recognise his passport and they had to phone Australia to get it sorted even tho we had visa labels and grant confirmation. Took nearly 2 hrs to get it sorted before boarding pass was issued.

They won't even be allowed to board the flight to be able to rock up at the border. Since boarding passes will not be printed for people who do not hold visa or eligible passport to enter Australia.

we had major issues getting OH boarding pass printed in Heathrow when going to validate our visas as the system kept saying they didn't recognise his passport and they had to phone Australia to get it sorted even tho we had visa labels and grant confirmation. Took nearly 2 hrs to get it sorted before boarding pass was issued.

Good point.

You are not supposed to leave Australia on anything other than an Australian passport, but it won't cause any particular problem upon exit if you do. Coming back however is another issue altogether. Nobody can board an aircraft heading to Australia without a valid visa unless they are travelling on an Australian or New Zealand passport. If you're an Australian citizen who wants to travel on a different passport, the only visa you could possibly get is an Australian Declaratory visa (ADV) but I doubt if you'll be able to get one. They're only available to adults in an emergency situation and it doesn't sound like that will apply for your return journey.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/931.pdf

You'll need to pay for Priority processing before you leave Australia. It will take around 2 days to be processed after the application is received by the Passport Office so add 2 days to apply and get it to them plus another day or two to get it back - about 4-5 working days in total. It's possible to reduce that by a day or so by arranging to collect it at the Passport Office which is possible if your travel date is imminent.

If you don't have 3-5 working days before you leave, you'll need to apply for the passport in the UK - Priority processing is also available there.

I still have my PR visa stamped in my passport. Do you know if this will help with the airlines? Surely they wouldn't know either way.

Only issue will then be my son, who was born here while we were on PR, so has always been a citizen and never had a PR visa.

I believe I may be able to get an ADV as it is a death in my immediate family, but I need the death certificate, which is proving hard as it is in africa and will need to be translated

I still have my PR visa stamped in my passport. Do you know if this will help with the airlines? Surely they wouldn't know either way.

Only issue will then be my son, who was born here while we were on PR, so has always been a citizen and never had a PR visa.

I believe I may be able to get an ADV as it is a death in my immediate family, but I need the death certificate, which is proving hard as it is in africa and will need to be translated

Your PR is no longer a valid visa. So no will not help.

the airline will scan your passport and see what visas are associated with it -- this is how they find out if you are permitted to travel. Apart from a few countries, it's all done electronically now, so the airline will be very much aware of your status.

its simple. Once you become an Australian Citizen you cannot enter without a valid Australian Passport. Your visa no longer exists. You would have no problem leaving but an absolute nightmare when attempting to get back in. Just apply for an emergency Aussie passport.

If you do not have time to get emergency passports here - you can get them the same day - then you will have to apply for Australian passports for all of you when you are overseas to enable you to enter Australia. Citizens cannot hold any type of visa - they must have an Australian passport

Once you become an Australian Citizen. Any visa you held ceases to exist. http://www.citizenship.gov.au/current/travel/.

Correct, but surely if they point out it is cancelled they are acknowledging he is a citizen. I agree the issue is getting on the plane, there would be no real problem confirming he is a citizen on arrival in Australia, just a slight delay.

From here

http://www.uk.embassy.gov.au/lhlh/PptsFAQs.html

Q9 - I have an Australian passport and a British passport; which passport do I use when entering Australia?

If you hold another country’s passport, seek advice about how it should be used. Take your Australian passport and use it to depart from and return to Australia. An Australian citizen cannot be granted a visa for Australia. When entering Australia, all Australians, including those who hold dual nationality, must be able to prove that they are an Australian citizen. An Australian passport is conclusive evidence of a person’s identity and citizenship and provides the holder with right of entry to Australia. An Australian citizen who arrives without an Australian passport may be delayed until their identity and claims to enter Australia have been checked. If a foreign passport holder claims to be an Australian citizen, immigration officers must confirm and verify this through official databases, which will cause delays. International airlines have an obligation to ensure that they only carry appropriately documented passengers to Australia. In the absence of an Australian passport, airlines are unable to verify a claim of Australian citizenship at the time of check-in and may refuse boarding. The airline may have to make inquiries with the Department of Immigration and Citizenship in Australia seeking approval to carry the passenger, which takes time and may cause delays.

Archived