Australia or the UK

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

More than 1.2 million British citizens call Australia home out of a total population of 23 million and the annual numbers of Brits migrating to these shores keep rising. In 2010, 64,000 of us moved down under, up from 48,000 in 1992.

Our love affair with the lucky country looks set to continue. We come here in search of the lifestyle. We come here in search of greater job opportunities and bigger houses. We come here in search of fantastic year-round weather and pristine surf beaches.

We land on these shores looking for an improved quality of life and wellbeing but is it a long-term move for the better or would we actually do well staying back in the UK?

Both countries have much to offer in a range of areas so I’ve handpicked the four key factors that might influence a decision to move to Oz or make you decide to stay at home.

Economy

Australia’s economy fared well in the global financial crisis and recession was a word associated with countries further afield. The UK struggled and recovered then struggled again. There are now signs of recovery in Britain but, when it comes to vital statistics such as GDP growth, house price increases and employment rates, the UK still lags behind Australia.

Standard of Living

The cost of living in Australia is one of the world’s highest and you won’t find many Brits heading here for cheap beer, clothing or groceries alone. Eating out in Australia costs more than the UK – about 15% more. However, when comparing London to Sydney, London is more expensive. A meal for two in the local pub in London would cost over 11% more than it would in Sydney and a ticket to see the latest movie would cost 8.5% more in London.

Weather

The weather is undoubtedly one of the main reasons that Brits flock to Australian shores in large numbers and it’s not hard to see why. Sydney’s average summer temperature reaches 26 degrees while London’s temps stutter at 15 degrees. In terms of sunshine per year, Sydney has almost double the number of sunny days as London but, surprisingly, more rainfall.

Quality of Life

In 2013′s Better Life Index, Australia was ranked the world’s happiest nation among developed countries for the third year running (the UK was tenth) and Sydney consistently appears in the top ten cities to live in according to the Economist Intelligence Unit’s Global Liveability Report (British cities appear further down the list). For wellbeing, it’s apparent that Australia scores well while the UK still has room for improvement.

Across these four key indicators, Australia comes out on top and the UK doesn’t fare as well, but is it as simple as this when choosing to live abroad or are there other things to take into account?

Surveys and indicators are all well and good but there are certain criteria for living abroad that no survey can give you – gut feeling and a sense of contentment.

Ask yourself if you like the idea of living here? Do you think you’ll enjoy your free time? Can you see yourself staying longer-term living this kind of life?

Every day, we’re bamboozled with reports telling us which countries are safest, cheapest and happiest to live in when really it comes down to one thing: personal choice.

If you feel connected to a place and at peace with your decision, then you stand a good chance of enjoying your life there.

Article supplied by John Masons Removals http://www.johnmason.com

Startlight7....

Please explain what being over 50 has to do with anything as that's a very ageist comment...???? I am 51 and will be moving in a matter of months and I don't see any problems with that! Both myself and my wife are giving up six figure salaries in London to move as we feel moving will give us and our young daughter a better way of life. And yes, maybe we are lucky that we have worked hard and when we move will be financially secure and won't have the stress of working long hours every day like we do today. And maybe people who are over 50 can enjoy the same benefits that Australia can bring to people who are 30 or 40 and want to move. One day you will be 51 and then maybe you will decide that there are more important things in life than working 12-14 hour days to chase the big bucks, and that you can when you've worked damn hard take a new direction in your life without people making stupid ageist comments about why you would want to move at 50+!!!

Startlight7....

Please explain what being over 50 has to do with anything as that's a very ageist comment...???? I am 51 and will be moving in a matter of months and I don't see any problems with that! Both myself and my wife are giving up six figure salaries in London to move as we feel moving will give us and our young daughter a better way of life. And yes, maybe we are lucky that we have worked hard and when we move will be financially secure and won't have the stress of working long hours every day like we do today. And maybe people who are over 50 can enjoy the same benefits that Australia can bring to people who are 30 or 40 and want to move. One day you will be 51 and then maybe you will decide that there are more important things in life than working 12-14 hour days to chase the big bucks, and that you can when you've worked damn hard take a new direction in your life without people making stupid ageist comments about why you would want to move at 50+!!!

I am 54 and moving too. Giving up London jobs but not 6 figure salaries (unfortunately). I doubt any offence was meant but it is harder for over 50s to get visas and work in Oz so I am sure this is the background to the comment.

Startlight7....

Please explain what being over 50 has to do with anything as that's a very ageist comment...????

I think you're misinterpreting. We all know it's not easy to emigrate at 50+ because it gets harder to get enough points to qualify as you get older, so it is surprising to see a lot of 50+'s suddenly getting approved to migrate.

Also, though it doesn't apply to you, moving countries at that age needs careful thought. Someone over 50 may not have time to qualify for the Australian state pension, and couild then be short of funds in retirement because of the freezing of their UK pension. Most people on these forums aren't rich enough to be able to dismiss that as a concern so they'd be less likely to move for that reason.

It's only the state pension that is frozen and if that's your only source of income you will get when you get to retirement age then it probably is unrealistic to move to Oz in your 50's, but a lot of us have good work pensions that are index linked in our case, so moving to Oz in retirement which is what we did, plus know an awful lot of others who have done the same, isn't a financial problem.

It's only the state pension that is frozen and if that's your only source of income you will get when you get to retirement age then it probably is unrealistic to move to Oz in your 50's, but a lot of us have good work pensions that are index linked in our case, so moving to Oz in retirement which is what we did, plus know an awful lot of others who have done the same, isn't a financial problem.

I'm aware of that but I'd have thought you'd notice the number of people on these forums for whom the pension is an important factor. I agree it's unrealistic for them to move and that's what I usually say!

Mindless propaganda from a removal company! Sydney Morning Herald published this a couple of days ago Australians are once again flocking to London to find work

An attempt to drum up as business or what? The stats are wrong plain and simple. Brit's are in decline both in percentage terms and raw numbers. It's been some decades since 60,000 Brit's arrived in a single year. That figure now applies to Australia's leading nation for importing people, India. Followed by China. Britain still comes up third if not including New Zealand but with greatly diminished numbers. About a third of the original claim. (gross)

In fact there was a 29% fall in UK numbers from the 06- 07 31,274 total down to 25,274 in 2012, with a further decline since then.

Most the other stats listed can be challenged as well. A simple research on city comparisons will show Perth and Sydney if anything a little above London's costs or at least pretty much on par. These figures will allow a breakdown of items in comparison in Australian dollars. I'd say London has regained the more expensive title with the declining dollar though.

Happiness surveys come up with different options. Denmark in some. Depends who you read. Main point being though interest may be high actual numbers have appeared to have stabilised after a period of decline.

Startlight7....

The ageism is the immigration policy not likely the poster. Unless well cashed up usually not easy to get into Australia after a certain age.

I think you're misinterpreting. We all know it's not easy to emigrate at 50+ because it gets harder to get enough points to qualify as you get older, so it is surprising to see a lot of 50+'s suddenly getting approved to migrate.

Also, though it doesn't apply to you, moving countries at that age needs careful thought. Someone over 50 may not have time to qualify for the Australian state pension, and couild then be short of funds in retirement because of the freezing of their UK pension. Most people on these forums aren't rich enough to be able to dismiss that as a concern so they'd be less likely to move for that reason.

Other UK people I meet at the beach on occasions come out for x number of months in summer but don't enter as migrants. There are a few like this. Live in UK. Winter in Australia, New Zealand or others I know in South Africa. Best of al worlds.

I'm aware of that but I'd have thought you'd notice the number of people on these forums for whom the pension is an important factor. I agree it's unrealistic for them to move and that's what I usually say!

I'll post after my UK trip later this year to say how much I am missing out on after 10 years of a frozen pension, and my husband after 7 years, as I always get it upgraded for the time I am there, but up to now the difference wouldn't luckily be a deal breacker for us. We leave it in UK to spend there as a lot of retired people we know. Probably depends on your income before you retire as to wether you will struggle in retirement wherever you are, don't know if you get more help here or in the UK with discounts, I'll try to check. Eg council tax.

i don't know anything about centre link? help as we are self funded.

We don't intend going back to UK to live, but you can never say never, so will sit down with several friends on our visit, and try to really work out the differences in costs, as far as possible because it will be useful for us in case we end up going back, and will post later in the year, as it might help others as well.

I know some retired posters find it hard here on their income, but lots of us are fine, and we have been retired here for 12 years, I only know of one couple considering this from our large group of UK retirees here who meet up every 2 months for lunch.

I am making an assumption but I think the parents who have to now pay an enormous amount of money to come on the parent visas will be most likely to struggle, and also retirees on the 405 investment visa as well. The only thing you can guarantee is that everything will cost more than long term than you thought it would.

Other UK people I meet at the beach on occasions come out for x number of months in summer but don't enter as migrants. There are a few like this. Live in UK. Winter in Australia, New Zealand or others I know in South Africa. Best of al worlds.

Lucky people! I can imagine that would be practical if you've got family to live with on your visits, but personally I couldn't imagine being able to afford to keep a house and car in two countries and pay the cost of air fares between them every year.

There are 2 couples from Canada who have been spending their winter on the coast for years.

they have ended up,having a good network of house sits, as they have been coming for so long, so costs are kept down.

we have the same house sitter every time we go away, so she stays for free for 2/3 months most years, but we are happy with that as we know her well and it helps her.

other friends just house sit when they are here from America through a web site.

we have tried to house swap, but sadly not been lucky yet.

Anyone in the Bristol area want to swap for 2 months Aug/sept?

well it's worth a try!!!!!

If I'm not mistaken you can still contribute to the UK state pension plan even when living overseas until you have reached the maximum level. I will be doing this for my wife (who is UNDER 50) unless the legislation has changed since we first considered moving to Australia a few years ago.

Yes you can contribute. My wife has decided not to buy the extra years as we are planning on being retired in Oz and with the value being frozen from the age of 67 we feel it will have less value than otherwise (assuming we live to a ripe old age). But if there is a chance that you may return to the UK in the future (and who knows what the future holds) then this would make sense.

North to South seems a very touchy person. My comment merely meant that it is much harder to emigrate at 50 + owing to the migration requirements. But if you want to make an argument about it, feel free-I really couldn't care a less.

That should clear things up.

I would expect a lot of 50+ people emigrating from the UK to Australia due to the attractive exchange rate for one. Possibly looking at semi-retirement, so job prospects are not as high a priority, however they are not TOO old for employment just yet. They are also not that far off the pension age which is a good time to start planning for a stable future.

In the opposite direction, Australians looking for work could be the beginnings of mid 90's like boom when London was full of them.

Hopefully UK backpackers will also take advantage of the exchange rate and provide a much needed boost to tourism.

If I'm not mistaken you can still contribute to the UK state pension plan even when living overseas until you have reached the maximum level. I will be doing this for my wife (who is UNDER 50) unless the legislation has changed since we first considered moving to Australia a few years ago.

Yes you can, but if you're living in Australia then that pension, when it's granted, will remain frozen at the same level (i.e. you don't get any increases).

..... 50+ people..... are not TOO old for employment just yet.

That's very true...but the reality is that Australian employers in general are unfairly resistant to employing anyone aged 45+. And with only 1 vacancy for every 5 job seekers, employers can exercise their ageist prejudices.

Archived