Are people still moving here ?

Angela Claire

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell you what Rocky this forum is dead.... you are the only one really I am seeing who is heading back... I am still thinking of it, though. Sometime in life I take chances and this could be one of those times....

Yeah I think you are right thl4kel, its a different scenario to when we first moved out to Victoria in 2009, there were loads of people making the move then.

We are taking a chance going back, but then again I'm in the O&G industry so if stay in the mature N Sea basin or go and get involved in the LNG sector again, there will be cyclic periods of uncertainty in either location. What I will say is if I was a betting man I'd put my money on the LNG game in Australia for the long term as opposed to the N Sea O&G industry!

I hope you get a clear way ahead, we have been weighing up our situation for the best part of a year now, its very unsettling.

Yeah I think you are right thl4kel, its a different scenario to when we first moved out to Victoria in 2009, there were loads of people making the move then.

We are taking a chance going back, but then again I'm in the O&G industry so if stay in the mature N Sea basin or go and get involved in the LNG sector again, there will be cyclic periods of uncertainty in either location. What I will say is if I was a betting man I'd put my money on the LNG game in Australia for the long term as opposed to the N Sea O&G industry!

I hope you get a clear way ahead, we have been weighing up our situation for the best part of a year now, its very unsettling.

if you have residency it's a whole different ball game. To move on a temporary visa now would be sheer madness. I miss Perth every day but there's a time and this ain't it for us.

if you have residency it's a whole different ball game. To move on a temporary visa now would be sheer madness. I miss Perth every day but there's a time and this ain't it for us.

Hi Angela, I am a OZ citizen in the UK at the moment, thinking of heading back W.A, without a job lined up.

We've been here 10 years and love it. But, there's no way I'd be moving here right now, not a chance.

I've read people's opinions on here about Perth, boring, nothing to do etc. and I totally disagree. The place is great. We were back in the UK for a month in December and there's nothing to do there more like; well, apart from go to the pub.

But, unfortunately, economy-wise WA is in free-fall. Anyone planning a move to Australia should be looking at Sydney & Melbourne full stop. We've had a round of redundancies in work, as have plenty of friends, the investment is just not there. You stand a slight chance if you're a tradie on the skills list, forget it if you're an office worker.

Shame really as the place has been great for us. If worst comes to worst, we will have to head over East ourselves. Don't want to mind, and moving back to the UK is option # 897,001.

Nothing to do in the UK?

Nothing that I really wanted to do, no. I’m from the NW of England and, to be honest, other than family visits, I just found our extended visit there a thoroughly depressing experience, right from the moment the plane broke through the multitude of black clouds. Not much going on apart from people shopping, watching the telly and going to the pub. And, when we did go walking around the shops, everyone looked totally fed-up. A lot look they’ve only got a week to live, never seen so many people who look so drawn, ill and/or unhealthy. Granted it was Nov/Dec/Jan and it had been raining non-stop for about 7 years but I kind of expected a bit more Xmas cheer. Wearing multiple layers, coats and hats everywhere, even whilst doing some indoor activities, gets tiresome and uncomfortable very quickly.

Just a personal assessment of course. And the Xmas telly was great.

Nothing that I really wanted to do, no. I’m from the NW of England and, to be honest, other than family visits, I just found our extended visit there a thoroughly depressing experience, right from the moment the plane broke through the multitude of black clouds. Not much going on apart from people shopping, watching the telly and going to the pub. And, when we did go walking around the shops, everyone looked totally fed-up. A lot look they’ve only got a week to live, never seen so many people who look so drawn, ill and/or unhealthy. Granted it was Nov/Dec/Jan and it had been raining non-stop for about 7 years but I kind of expected a bit more Xmas cheer. Wearing multiple layers, coats and hats everywhere, even whilst doing some indoor activities, gets tiresome and uncomfortable very quickly.

I think everybody, anywhere in the world looks fed-up when trailing round shopping centres. On the whole though, I found people looked very cheery (at least where I was) when I was back in the UK last year.

I think everybody, anywhere in the world looks fed-up when trailing round shopping centres. On the whole though, I found people looked very cheery (at least where I was) when I was back in the UK last year.

I hate shopping with a passion, my idea of hell is walking around shopping malls especially at Christmas time. I must be honest, I didn't notice anyone looking particularly happy or miserable last time we visited.

I hate shopping with a passion, my idea of hell is walking around shopping malls especially at Christmas time. I must be honest, I didn't notice anyone looking particularly happy or miserable last time we visited.

I am in need of new clothes but I just keep putting it off as I hate shopping so much. Mind you, I can spend hours in a bookshop or music store.

I am in need of new clothes but I just keep putting it off as I hate shopping so much. Mind you, I can spend hours in a bookshop or music store.

Tbh anyone who travels 23 hours and spends a couple of grand on airfares to walk around the shops would be bored anywhere, as I say to the kids only boring people get bored. I could entertain myself in a desert island

Tbh anyone who travels 23 hours and spends a couple of grand on airfares to walk around the shops would be bored anywhere, as I say to the kids only boring people get bored. I could entertain myself in a desert island

To be fair, if you go on a 7-week 'holiday' at Xmas time, it can be quite difficult to avoid shops completely; for obvious reasons. Even if you know the experience is akin to Night of the Living Dead.

You get out of anywhere what you put in. Traping around the shops of Perth at Christmas is just as depressing. In fact I have refused to do it the last couple of years as it was so awful.

As for nothing to do but watching TV and the pub, well, back here in Windsor, the forecast for the week is pretty wintery - lovely day today and I have had to dig out my sunglasses - but single figure temps and rain forecast. This is what we will be doing:

Friday, off to London for a very long lunch with family at a family member restaurant.

Saturday, go hiking through the great forest with the dog and look at the wildflowers

Sunday, exhibition at the castle on Shakespeare

Monday, go for a drive to some of the nearby villages to look at potential areas to live - one has a spring faire which should be fun.

Other things pencilled in - horse races, weekend with friends doing mayhem, trip to Jurassic coast with niece and nephew, snow / ski centre day, trip to LEGOLAND with niece and nephew, Windsor annual horse show, Queens 90th birthday celebrations in Windsor.

To be fair, if you go on a 7-week 'holiday' at Xmas time, it can be quite difficult to avoid shops completely; for obvious reasons. Even if you know the experience is akin to Night of the Living Dead.

To be fair there was a lot of rain in those parts. My sister came last year at Xmas. I told her not to, I said wait for spring. But she came anyway. They had a ball. No queues.

To be fair there was a lot of rain in those parts. My sister came last year at Xmas. I told her not to, I said wait for spring. But she came anyway. They had a ball. No queues.

Yeah, I have already committed to a return journey but am thinking August/Sept next time, never doing winter again.

Guest Guest109139

Another one who thinks that we all sit in the pub and/or front of the TV.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/moving-back-uk/244463-what-main-reason-moving-back-uk-18.html#post1936926059

There are loads of things people can do or engage in wherever they live if they care to look or if they can be bothered.