Give me some good news please!

Callie mum

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Chewitts
I love Darwin. Been up loads of times with work and a couple of times for a month at a time, in June-July too,

June july and august are probably the best times weather wise, the wet season is the summer worst in dec and jan

I have been there a few times, not my cup of tea but then nor is Brisbane, same problem humidity. My parents lived there for a while but they were used to it as they lived in the Kimberly as well. I think if you like a beer, are young then it a great place to go. My neighbours daughter lives up there, she is a nurse and single though.

• 1 month later...

I have been in Darwin just over 18 months and moved here to live with my Aussie partner and really like it here. There's really lots to do for the locals and I think we have a great quality of life here. It's expensive which is a pain and the weather can be a bit wearing during the wet season but you get to the dry season and forget all about that!

Hi,

yesterday i I posted on transport thread asking about flights to Darwin for a Reccie visit and other bits and was overwhelmed by the negative comments made about NT. We will be coming on a 489 visa with two children 5 & 2 and really want to live there. I'm not naive about the climate and know it will be a huge change for us but we are so looking forward to coming. It's just put me on a bit of a downer.

So lovely people tell me the great things about NT please and cheer me up!

Thanks

Callie 

Darwin is great. I lived in the outback NT for a long time (whole different story) and hated, but Darwin is a vibrant and friendly city.

Good luck.

I have spent a lot of time in Darwin over the last year as my daughter has moved there and I have been up four times, each time for about 3 weeks. I found it an interesting and different place, with many activities for all the family and things you cant experience anywhere else. Kakadu was just remarkable. I love the green lush vegetation, compared with SA. It was easy to drive around, no real traffic queues and the roads were good.

However, the weather does have a large impact on how you feel up there, April/May and July were good and I could cope, almost enjoy the climate, September there were more days when the weather definitely affected energy levels and the late Oct/Nov trip was tough every day as the wet season was starting. The weather does impact on your every day life more than any other place I have lived. But you will never know until you experience it, so treat it like a big adventure and go ahead.

So your point is ? Should be very familiar for someone from England ?

it never rains for a whole week in the UK. If it rains for 1-2 days without much of a break, it's quite unusual. Mostly it's drizzle or short downpours - generalising a little but you get the drift (speaking of drift, I think the UK would float off towards north america if it rained for a week...).

EDIT: @Paul1Perth - just saw your post, apologies for repeating the same thing again!

• 4 weeks later...
Nice positive comments but, interestingly, nobody with first-hand experience of Darwin. Is there anybody there? :err:

I hope its because they are all cooling down in their swimming pools. I am hoping to go to Darwin too, we were very eager then heard negatives, it put us off, but I feel we have heard many positives so we are going to hopefully see for ourselves :-). Good Luck with your move Callie Mum

Thanks everyone, we will have a holiday/ recce before we move and we're looking forward to seeing and experiencing all the good stuff you've all mentioned. It will be later in the year, but will let you know how we get on.

Cheers

Callie x

I wonder if you'll have time now? If you go before next November/December you'll be experiencing the absolute best of the climate - a real test would've been to visit in the summer when everything's mouldy!

• 1 month later...
It's just put me on a bit of a downer. So lovely people tell me the great things about NT please and cheer me up!

I absolutely love Darwin and the Northern Territory in general. And I am very envious that you will be living there. LUCKY YOU.

Darwin has a laid back lifestyle which often involves drinking beer, and so it is often considered a "bit rough around the edges" by some people. And yes it can be; but that is half the adventure and fun.

It is a cosmopolitan town. It has good shops and a fantastic market (lots of yummy foods) and some interesting tourist spots. The sunsets are utterly amazing and make for some fabulous photos.

On the doorstop of Darwin, you have the beautiful NT - Litchfield National Park, Kakadu National Park, Arnhem Land, Mataranka Springs, Nitmiluk National Park and Katherine Gorge. Further afield, Uluru (Ayres Rock) and Kata Tjuta (The Olgas) - or across into WA and see the Bungle Bungles by air.

Callie - you would be extremely lucky to live in such a wonderful part of the country - so please be excited......... and avoid all moaning minnies and debbie downers!

And if you dislike it - so what - just move.

I lived there for a while and loved it. It took me about two months to adjust to the heat / humidity. Drink plenty of water (or beer!) and dress appropriately for the weather, and get a house with air-conditioning.

Some people go a little crazy in the wet (officially called Mango Madness) but others don't. Just try a year there and see how YOU feel.

Edited by jumpingjellybean

Hello OP!

I currently live in Darwin and have been here for around 18 months.

We arrived from Leicester, UK in November 2013 during the midst of the build up/ going into wet season and I hated it.

Everyone would say not to worry about it, as the dry season is worth the heat and humidity. It wasn't until the end of the dry last year, around August time that I really started to enjoy it - Probably after we had guests come to stay and we were showing them around and all there is to do.

I think most of it had to do with homesickness, coping with the drastic change in weather. This wet season just gone was a lot easier.

I have gone from hating Darwin to turning down jobs in Melbourne and Brisbane to stay here because the lifestyle is so good and relaxed.

Yes it is expensive, but the salaries up here generally reflect that.

Even since I have been here I have noticed a lot of change, lots of cafes and restaurants opening up, lots more events, markets and free open air cinema and entertainment.

I can assure you that whilst it might take some time to adjust to, you will thoroughly enjoy it. The longer you're here the more places you will discover, not a lot is advertised so talk to people and they will tell you their tips! A majority of people are very friendly.

There is a larger indigenous population up here and it can be quite off putting when they are in large groups and drinking, but I live in the city and you can certainly avoid the places where trouble hangs out. Just like you would at home. Plus, they rarely acknowledge you. It is a strange social problem but has obviously been ongoing for some years.

Relax and enjoy the dry season and in the wet season, stay indoors in the AC, watch the storms and look forward to the dry...!

Hi thanks guys for the positive replies, we are just waiting for our visa grant now, been told there is a delay as its getting near the end of the year. We are hoping to be there As soon as we can after visa is granted and house sold. We too are from Leicester well hubby is I'm a Cov girl but we live in Leicestershire at the min. Would be nice to meet up when we get there and chat about the old place!! will let you know when we get our visa.

Callie x

Guest Mikimoto
I loved the wet season. Found it pretty easy to handle.

Felt dirty all the time. Hot and dry for us thanks.

• 2 months later...

Hey Callie, we moved to Darwin in June, I have found the dry season very warm and the locals are saying the wet is terrible :( weve found that theres not vast amounts of work up here and its very expensive to live here, sorry I couldn't be more positive!

Spot on comment reply there by canadianaussie :-)

I live in Cairns (Northern Beaches) and love it. I am a London bred man, and when i first came to Oz in 2006, we moved to Adelaide. 6 months later (we didnt settle or feel in 'real australia') we moved to Cairns.

Simply put, since moving from U.K to Oz in 2006, the first 3 years were difficult, (ups n downs n some real lows......) but determination and simply the will to make it happen it all starts to fall into place....... :-) I work for BHP Billiton in mining earning big big money. Absolutely love it.

I work in W.A........... :-) so i live east work west!!

Anyway, Darwin........... i have friends there that enjoy it and offers similar lifestyle to Cairns where i live.

Now......... i will say one thing, the first wet season (height of heat n humidity) will be tough for you. Acclimatise.....!!! Give it a year or two and you adjust. Your body adjust to a degree as in gets used to it. Its all relative. I find it easier by miles here in Cairns. Been here nearly 9 years in Cairns and i can say that the first year maybe 2 years were tough climate wise, but......... over the years you acclimatise. :-)

Living in the NT will give you a fabulous rich experience. :-)

If after a year or two, Darwin dosent quite tick all the boxes, do what many do, pop down to Cairns :-) Offers similar to Darwin but a little easier. :-)

• 2 months later...
Hi thanks guys for the positive replies, we are just waiting for our visa grant now, been told there is a delay as its getting near the end of the year. We are hoping to be there As soon as we can after visa is granted and house sold. Callie x

So Callie

How are things progressing?

Are you still hoping to "live the dream"

??!!

Oh well we are all different aren't we.

The wet season can be a "challenge" for some people.........especially those with pre-existing mental health issues

But it is manageable for most

JJB, some people could take offence at that - are you saying that because I dissolve into a hot, sweaty blob and feel physically ill at 90% humidity, and that I get asthma attacks due to the mould that grows out of control during the wet, that I must be mentally ill? I don't think so.

Some people cope, some people don't. We're all different in our reaction to heat and humidity. Even the locals moan that the wet is not a pleasant time - but every city has pro's and con's, and if you enjoy Darwin and are happy otherwise, it's just something you put up with.

Edited by Marisawright