Help! Ideas for son's 18th birthday

Chortlepuss

Anyone out there (especially teens) want to throw in some ideas re 18th birthday present? Bit of a geek /pet lover 'all I want is a dog' Not materialistic so doesn't want much stuff. Not a drinker. Obscure music fan. I need some ideas and fast - he's had driving lessons. I'm panicking! Any suggestions welcome!

Pet lover, that`s easy:wink:. Diving/swimming with dolphins, private zoo "behind the scenes" experience, diving course ( lots of fish lol) . Farm stay, cowboy style. If you`re anywhere near by this, this could be really, really good :

http://www.queenslandholidays.com.au/experiences/natural-encounters/animal-encounters/turtles.cfm?ref=qtu&gclid=Cj0KEQiA3bymBRC19IrD7O_NrYsBEiQAb2dpA9VdGB7t9JpVJ1-oDs_8W4sl3GAL3GQXrHE9i9GpOhkaApuV8P8HAQ

Guest The Pom Queen

My eldest got a car, my middle son got a car and threw it back in our face, so we gave him cash and all he wanted to do was go nightclubbing. The eldest just wasn't in to going out drinking. You could pay for a party, pay for laser tag, diving lesson although I can't remember where you are, or just give him cash. I had a fancy cake done for my middle son, he always had two or three girlfriends so I got this made.

WARNING X RATED

image.jpg

image.jpg

My eldest got a car, my middle son got a car and threw it back in our face, so we gave him cash and all he wanted to do was go nightclubbing. The eldest just wasn't in to going out drinking. You could pay for a party, pay for laser tag, diving lesson although I can't remember where you are, or just give him cash. I had a fancy cake done for my middle son, he always had two or three girlfriends so I got this made.

WARNING X RATED

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28483[/ATTACH]

My son would have died of embarrassment - come to think of it so would I ordering it.

WARNING X RATED

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28483[/ATTACH]

I hope your middle son is more mature now. Fancy throwing a gift like that back in your face!! :elvis:

My son had a party at home which was all he wanted us to pay for, hired a DJ that he liked, organised the lighting, we hired a portaloo as we didn't want them tramping through the house. As it turned out it poured down the whole day, including the night of the party. Didn't affect anything other than a lot of sludge in the house and the lawn is still recovering years later.:laugh:

We have a big outdoor pergola and we managed to borrow a marque type of thing for the rest of the lawn. DJ had to be inside with the window open. Great night though, even me and the wife enjoyed it. The kids drank an awful lot though, for some reason the girls were more smashed and worse behaved than the guys. One girl came in with a bottle of vodka, asked my wife for a jug, thinking that she wanted it for mixers my wife found a jug. The girl poured the vodka into the jug and started drinking it straight.:laugh:

We had let all the neighbours know that we were having the party and we insisted that it would stop at 12:00. DJ stopped on the dot, everyone was out of there by about 12:30, no trouble, really good night and my son loved it.

Not sure I would go with the dog idea myself.I am guessing your son lives with you?So what happens when he moves out?I reluctantly brought my daughter a kitten for her 11th birthday. She moved to uni halls when she was 18 so we expected to keep her cat for a while.However, she met a guy,moved in with him,and then declined taking her cat.So we ended up with it.Not happy tbh as we went away a lot and had the expense of boarding it all the time as well as the vet bills etc.

Guest The Pom Queen
My son had a party at home which was all he wanted us to pay for, hired a DJ that he liked, organised the lighting, we hired a portaloo as we didn't want them tramping through the house. As it turned out it poured down the whole day, including the night of the party. Didn't affect anything other than a lot of sludge in the house and the lawn is still recovering years later.:laugh:

We have a big outdoor pergola and we managed to borrow a marque type of thing for the rest of the lawn. DJ had to be inside with the window open. Great night though, even me and the wife enjoyed it. The kids drank an awful lot though, for some reason the girls were more smashed and worse behaved than the guys. One girl came in with a bottle of vodka, asked my wife for a jug, thinking that she wanted it for mixers my wife found a jug. The girl poured the vodka into the jug and started drinking it straight.:laugh:

We had let all the neighbours know that we were having the party and we insisted that it would stop at 12:00. DJ stopped on the dot, everyone was out of there by about 12:30, no trouble, really good night and my son loved it.

You were really brave. My eldest and my youngest have lovely friends and I would happily have a party at home but the middle one, there is no way on this earth. He has the wrong type of friends unfortunately, it's like with the cake my eldest I wouldn't dream of getting him one like that but my middle son always has to have street cred. He ended up with 300 likes on his FB for the cake so I think that was the best part for him.

Guest The Pom Queen
Pauls post reminds me that my daughter went out for dinner with her close friends then back to our place for drinks

That's what my eldest did. Although no drinks as he just isn't interested in drinking.

You were really brave. My eldest and my youngest have lovely friends and I would happily have a party at home but the middle one, there is no way on this earth. He has the wrong type of friends unfortunately, it's like with the cake my eldest I wouldn't dream of getting him one like that but my middle son always has to have street cred. He ended up with 300 likes on his FB for the cake so I think that was the best part for him.

That's what a few people said TPQ. We made him do a list of who was coming as we knew there would be loads turn up that weren't invited. We got a couple of neighbours to help me out with the "bouncing" duties out the front of the house and crossed peoples names off that were on the list. It was fun, "yes you're in" or "sorry you're not on the list".:laugh: Had a few where we called my son out to make a decision as a few mates turned up he hadn't seen for a while. The only person we had any trouble with was a girl who was on the list but brought her boyfriend and some mates and a heap of booze and tried to stroll in. We called my son and he knew her boyfriend was trouble so he said no. Should have heard the language from her, thought butter wouldn't melt till I heard that. We knew her parents too, they would have been devastated.

Guest The Pom Queen
That's what a few people said TPQ. We made him do a list of who was coming as we knew there would be loads turn up that weren't invited. We got a couple of neighbours to help me out with the "bouncing" duties out the front of the house and crossed peoples names off that were on the list. It was fun, "yes you're in" or "sorry you're not on the list".:laugh: Had a few where we called my son out to make a decision as a few mates turned up he hadn't seen for a while. The only person we had any trouble with was a girl who was on the list but brought her boyfriend and some mates and a heap of booze and tried to stroll in. We called my son and he knew her boyfriend was trouble so he said no. Should have heard the language from her, thought butter wouldn't melt till I heard that. We knew her parents too, they would have been devastated.

I think having bouncers is a good idea and the list is an excellent idea although I would get independent bouncers and make sure there were no exceptions. I suppose you need a great relationship with the neighbours as well. Parties are all new to me as like I said my eldest has never been interested but the other one he left home and according to him it's his life and he can do what he wants.

I think having bouncers is a good idea and the list is an excellent idea although I would get independent bouncers and make sure there were no exceptions. I suppose you need a great relationship with the neighbours as well. Parties are all new to me as like I said my eldest has never been interested but the other one he left home and according to him it's his life and he can do what he wants.

Sometimes, just sometimes I wish my wife had bouncers:laugh:

Archived