School Stationary, Books, etc.

DivingMissDaisy

So we moved to Sydney just before the schools finished up here and got the girls registered in yr3 & yr5. We got uniforms & bag from the school uniform shop and thought we were sorted. We then toddled off to Smiggle and spent a fortune on smelly pencils, fancy rubbers, etc.

Anyway, we were in Kmart yesterday buying a lunch bag and was amazed by the selection of stationary that it made me google...... So the school has a specific stationary list, which our expensive trip to Smiggle doesn't really match. :-( Who knew you had to send your kids to school with 2 boxes of tissues & a 250 pack of baby wipes!!!

So my question is, what other unknowns are there out there when it comes to school? Do you have to buy your own jotters? I can see on the school newsletter a link about school books, so I'll do that. I've also got a copy of what last years term 4 accounts were, so have an idea of that.

I also didn't know before we came out that the canteen was only open 3 days a week and anything the girls wanted had to be pre-ordered & paid for online. I also found out that I have to take a turn going canteen lady duty/kiss & drop supervisor/uniform shop or we get a fee added to our term account!!

Guess it's the little things that we don't know that add up.

Audrey

Does your school do music? Our PS they played the recorder (which was on the book list), You might need to get exercise books, binders or display folders. With the binders/display folders we re-used them for a couple of years until they got tatty. We also just got e.g. one glue stick (if it said more than one) and topped up as the year went on.

Our school publishes their list in the last newsletter of the year, ready for the new term. There is all sorts on the list, from pens and pencils to glue sticks, hand soap, exercise books for homework etc. At the beginning of the year they will bring home a note about payment for their school books and a voluntary contribution, eldest has just been accepted in to the school band program, so there will be fees and uniform to purchase for that too. Then all year the notes will come for excursions, incursions, sporting programs, fundraising things etc. Our school canteen is open four days per week, but it is run on a voluntary basis and you aren't penalised if you don't do it. I did reading with the girls classes when they were in Kindergarten instead and I will probably get involved with the school band. This is a public school, I don't know if private schools and religious schools are the same.

Thanks - that was my worry, nothing is mentioned anywhere about exercise books. I have the list for a laptop, pen drive, glue sticks, paint shirt, display folder, etc. But no exercise books, so I wasn't sure if I'm supposed to buy them or not?

Our school asks for 96 page ruled scrapbooks for homework -one for our year four and two for year two. The other exercise books are included in the book payment at the beginning of the year. In my experience there is always a week or so of messing around at the beginning of term, so they won't need everything on the first day anyway, and you'll have time to sort them out.

Even at prep level we are issued with a prescriptive list of the requirements in terms of number, size and even cover of the books, glue, tissues and pencils we have to buy. We then have to take the list to specific suppliers and pay silly $$$ for stuff that really doesn't matter for 5 year olds.

I resent the implication that I cannot be trusted to think of what a small child might need at school, so instead of prescription Bostic Blue glue, I've bought Uhu in the yellow stick.

Rebel, me.

We get issues with a book list which covers everything.I've tried DIY and buying for Kmart but it's such a hassle and not knowing what to get in case it's not the exact right item. I drew the line at buying a whiteboard rubber at over $15 though, so if all the parents bought one they'd have 30 of them per class???? I try and reuse if I've got it in my possesion and its OK, like pencil crayons etc but not everything seems to come back. This year I ordered everything from the school in Nov. Expensive but peace of mind. Still got the 'voluntary contribution' to pay though.

I haven't had to provide anything for the kids for primary school except the odd box of tissues. My eldest is off to high school this year and we need to get him a laptop and various bits of stationary but we just have a list of what he needs and we can get them from anywhere. Feeling quite grateful at the moment.

I'm dreading this. We have just arrived, so still have to find a house, car and then sort out school places, uniforms and supplies for three children. I think money could be tight this month ?. Hopefully me not working means I can help out at the school and try and be involved. It's not cheap when you first arrive that's for sure. Hopefully the school we choose isn't to demanding. Fingers crossed.

Hi Fleks - we just arrives the last week in Nov, so just went through it all and still feeling at a loss. Thought coming when the kids were on holiday would be a good idea, but I actually think they need the routine back in their lives. Where are you?

Thanks for all the replies and it's amazing how different everyone is. We brought our daughters MacBook over, but it didn't make the journey in the container and not sure if it can be fixed or not. She'll need to take ours till we get a replacement. Just didn't think they'd need one for year 5!! Just don't really need the expense just now after the move.

Hi Fleks - we just arrives the last week in Nov, so just went through it all and still feeling at a loss. Thought coming when the kids were on holiday would be a good idea, but I actually think they need the routine back in their lives. Where are you?

Thanks for all the replies and it's amazing how different everyone is. We brought our daughters MacBook over, but it didn't make the journey in the container and not sure if it can be fixed or not. She'll need to take ours till we get a replacement. Just didn't think they'd need one for year 5!! Just don't really need the expense just now after the move.

A macbook for year 5. I'd be telling the school right where to poke that. I've never known anyone over here in WA need any kind of electronic device in Primary.

A macbook for year 5. I'd be telling the school right where to poke that. I've never known anyone over here in WA need any kind of electronic device in Primary.

Funny you should say that NB, I was out for Dinner last week with friends and they were saying how their kids needed an IPAD for YR 3 and someone elses needed them for YR 4, my son is going into YR 4 next month and nothing like that at our school x

Funny you should say that NB, I was out for Dinner last week with friends and they were saying how their kids needed an IPAD for YR 3 and someone elses needed them for YR 4, my son is going into YR 4 next month and nothing like that at our school x

Bloody ridiculous for Primary school. We need an iPad going into High School but in the 2 Primary Schools my youngest has attended (public and private) no such requirements.

In the UK, my kids primary school asked for them to get a ipod touch for year 5 (9 years old) which they used throughout year 5 and 6. School supplied and cost was £120 including the applications and insurance which we paid over the 2 years and the kids get to keep them after they finished primary school.

The other thing we had to pay in Australia was a voluntary $300 to the 'building fund' - it came in Term 2 presumably to spread the cost for parents - it was charged per family not per child.

Don't forget a lot of these payments are tax deductible and I believe there is a bonus payment for low income parents.

We're not sure yet but will definitely be the North Shore area of Sydney as my OH will work between Chatswood and the CBD. I hope they don't suggest we buy ipads, my children all got a tablet for Xmas and it does everything it's needed to do. Saying that do the school take responsibility if it gets broken esp in school by another child. Will just have to wait and see. It's funny you research everything but then each school has different requirements. I'd better focus on a house for now.

If you receive Family Tax Benefit, you would normally receive the School kids bonus, $400 ish for a primary child and $800ish for a high school child,and if i remember correctly paid in 2 installments throughout the year. However a friend said it is now (2015) means tested so the more your earning the payment to you drops.

Cal x

Archived